Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Debugging Our Computer Science Trivia Feature Post 303040639 by Neo on Saturday 2nd of November 2019 11:53:54 PM
Old 11-03-2019
The current "average scores" of all guest users is currently 66%:

The current "average scores" of all registered users (not including Neo) is currently 80%:

I don't include my stats because it would skew the results up, since I submitted all the questions so far. But on the other hand, I often select the "wrong" answer intentionally because I am testing the system for bugs.

Right now, still see some occasional decoding bugs where the answer in the DB is not recorded properly in the Javascript, and so a wrong answer occurs. So, the code is still not 100% bullet proof; and the debugging needs to happen in the web dev console, for the most part.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

Computer Science and Information Technology

Hi, I haven't posted on the forums for a while now, I tried to find the most appropriate section for this post, but if this is in the wrong section please forgive me. First, let me say I'm a sophomore in HS. I know that job wise I definitely want to do something in computers. A while ago I was... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hpicracing
5 Replies

2. Programming

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer science.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
1 Replies

3. Web Development

Is Web Development is a part of computer science ?

I am now a student in university in 2nd year. I am studying computer science. But I am not sure what type of jobs computer science provide. I know some of them are software programming or network management. Recently, I hear some about Web Development. I wonder if it is a part of computer... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Trivial Pursuit - New Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia for UNIX.com

I have added a new experimental "Computer Science and Mathematics Trivia - True or False" section in the discussions, currently under the tags box. In the future, I plan to Expand this feature to add more trivia categories from math, science and technology. Keep track of correct and... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
20 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

1000+ Computer Science Trivia Questions at UNIX.COM

The UNIX and Linux Forums now has over 1000 TRUE / FALSE computer science and computer related trivia question in our database. These questions are of relatively high quality (compared to similar sites on the web) and are fun (according to feedback by users). In the first week during the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

New Member and Country Computer Trivia Leaderboards

Thanks to Akshay, who helped me write the core MySQL queries, we now have two new draft leaderboards, by (1) member and by (2) country: https://www.unix.com/trivia_stats.php Currently milhan leads the members with a high score of 90%: ... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Computer Trivia Feature Tops 50,000 Questions Answered

Just noticed that our successful computer trivia feature (stats here) has surpassed over 50,000 questions answered by users: https://www.unix.com/trivia_stats.php This was a coding effort worth while and I'm pleased to see so many people enjoying it in such a short time since it was released... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
QUIZ(6) 							 BSD Games Manual							   QUIZ(6)

NAME
quiz -- random knowledge tests SYNOPSIS
quiz [-t] [-i file] [question answer] DESCRIPTION
The quiz utility tests your knowledge of random facts. It has a database of subjects from which you can choose. With no arguments, quiz displays the list of available subjects. The options are as follows: -t Use tutorial mode, in which questions are repeated later if you didn't get them right the first time, and new questions are presented less frequently to help you learn the older ones. -i Specify an alternative index file. Subjects are divided into categories. You can pick any two categories from the same subject. quiz will ask questions from the first cate- gory and it expects answers from the second category. For example, the command ``quiz victim killer'' asks questions which are the names of victims, and expects you to answer with the cause of their untimely demise, whereas the command ``quiz killer victim'' works the other way around. If you get the answer wrong, quiz lets you try again. To see the right answer, enter a blank line. Index and Data File Syntax The index and data files have a similar syntax. Lines in them consist of several categories separated by colons. The categories are regular expressions formed using the following meta-characters: pat|pat alternative patterns {pat} optional pattern [pat] delimiters, as in pat[pat|pat]pat In an index file, each line represents a subject. The first category in each subject is the pathname of the data file for the subject. The remaining categories are regular expressions for the titles of each category in the subject. In data files, each line represents a question/answer set. Each category is the information for the question/answer for that category. The backslash character (``'') is used to quote syntactically significant characters, or at the end of a line to signify that a continuation line follows. If either a question or its answer is empty, quiz will refrain from asking it. FILES
/usr/share/games/quiz.db The default index and data files. BUGS
quiz is pretty cynical about certain subjects. BSD
May 31, 1993 BSD