Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Not able to disable finger & telnet command in Solaris 8 Post 303040583 by MadeInGermany on Friday 1st of November 2019 05:01:57 AM
Old 11-01-2019
pgrep inetd shows the process and
pkill -HUP inetd reloads it.
It is necessary to inform inetd, because it starts the service daemons in inetd.conf on demand.
-1 should be identical to -HUP
When the fingerd service is disabled the finger command works nevertheless. But a remote finger @thishost does not get any data from this host.
This User Gave Thanks to MadeInGermany For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

Hello all, Here is what I am trying to do. If a user exist, then send an echo "EXIST" or else "DOES NOT EXIST". (under HP-UX) Kind of: #!/usr/bin/sh USER=mylogin finger $USER if $? = 0 then echo "EXIST"" else echo "DOES NOT EXIST" fi (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
10 Replies

2. Solaris

disable telnet on Solaris

All - would you please some one help me to disable telnet on Solaris? /etc/inetd.conf Thanks :confused: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: March_2007
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Disable telnet timeout

Hi, Can someone help me how I can disable telnet timeout? I'm connecting remotely to some machines and after some time my telnet connection was closed. How can I disable this so that I'm always connected to those machines? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
2 Replies

4. Solaris

disable telnet on the startup

Hi All, I want to disable telnet on the startup of solaris 8-10 but still wants for a standby purposes. In case I need to troubleshoot ssh, I can connect thru telnet. Most solution on the internet is to permanently removed it. Best Regards, itik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

5. Solaris

SSH enable, Telnet disable ...

Hi... How do I enable SSH and disable telnet.. Also - is there anything special I need to do to ensure that a new user can use ssh and su but not telnet? Adel (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
15 Replies

6. Solaris

Disable telnet for a particular user

On Solaris 8 is there anyway to disable telnet for a particular user and not for entire system altogether? I would like the user to retain a shell and so creating a noshell like ftp account is not an option. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: boshyd
14 Replies

7. AIX

Allow telnet in AIX from specific IP adds, but disable for everyone else

I need to change the security on our AIX servers and disable telnet from all but certain IP addresses. I have hashed the telnet line in /etc/inetd.conf and added filter rules for those IP adds to allow access on port 23, but this didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alps
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Having problems with finger on Solaris 10

I have a bunch of Solaris systems and for the 8/9 systems, I can type "finger -s 2" to get a list of all users (whether they are logged in or not) and the last time they logged in. I have some new 10 systems and this command does not work. Does anybody know whether this was changed in Solaris 10?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muller
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Finger Service Problem

I have been instructed to disable the finger service for our Solaris 10 box. However when I input #svcadm disable finger I receive: "svcadm: Pattern 'finger' does not match any instances. I have also tried to edit the inetd config file and comment out the finger part but Solaris has basically... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvhoward
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ?

Hi there, I am eager to know what exactly is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ? :b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhijitpaul0212
1 Replies
in.fingerd(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    in.fingerd(1M)

NAME
in.fingerd, fingerd - remote user information server SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/in.fingerd DESCRIPTION
fingerd implements the server side of the Name/Finger protocol, specified in RFC 742. The Name/Finger protocol provides a remote interface to programs which display information on system status and individual users. The protocol imposes little structure on the format of the exchange between client and server. The client provides a single command line to the finger server which returns a printable reply. fingerd waits for connections on TCP port 79. Once connected, it reads a single command line terminated by RETURN-LINEFEED and passes the arguments to finger(1), prepended with -s. fingerd closes its connections as soon as the output is finished. FILES
/var/adm/utmpx User and accounting information. /etc/passwd System password file. /var/adm/lastlog Last login times. $HOME/.plan User's plans. $HOME/.project User's projects. USAGE
fingerd and in.fingerd are IPv6-enabled. See ip6(7P). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
finger(1), svcs(1), inetadm(1M), inetd(1M), svcadm(1M), attributes(5), smf(5), ip6(7P) Harrenstien, Ken, RFC 742, NAME/FINGER, Network Information Center, SRI International, Menlo Park, Calif., December 1977. NOTES
Connecting directly to the server from a TIP or an equally narrow-minded TELNET-protocol user program can result in meaningless attempts at option negotiation being sent to the server, which foul up the command line interpretation. fingerd should be taught to filter out IAC's and perhaps even respond negatively (IAC does not) to all option commands received. The in.fingerd service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/network/finger:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). Responsibil- ity for initiating and restarting this service is delegated to inetd(1M). Use inetadm(1M) to make configuration changes and to view config- uration information for this service. The service's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.10 31 Jul 2004 in.fingerd(1M)