Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Not able to disable finger & telnet command in Solaris 8 Post 303040579 by Neo on Friday 1st of November 2019 04:07:21 AM
Old 11-01-2019
Also, FYI.. on my servers:

Code:
ubuntu:/usr/bin# finger
-bash: /usr/bin/finger: Permission denied

ubuntu:/usr/bin# l finger
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 27104 Nov 11  2016 finger

etc etc....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

finger command

Hello all, Here is what I am trying to do. If a user exist, then send an echo "EXIST" or else "DOES NOT EXIST". (under HP-UX) Kind of: #!/usr/bin/sh USER=mylogin finger $USER if $? = 0 then echo "EXIST"" else echo "DOES NOT EXIST" fi (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: qfwfq
10 Replies

2. Solaris

disable telnet on Solaris

All - would you please some one help me to disable telnet on Solaris? /etc/inetd.conf Thanks :confused: (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: March_2007
11 Replies

3. Solaris

Disable telnet timeout

Hi, Can someone help me how I can disable telnet timeout? I'm connecting remotely to some machines and after some time my telnet connection was closed. How can I disable this so that I'm always connected to those machines? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayhanne
2 Replies

4. Solaris

disable telnet on the startup

Hi All, I want to disable telnet on the startup of solaris 8-10 but still wants for a standby purposes. In case I need to troubleshoot ssh, I can connect thru telnet. Most solution on the internet is to permanently removed it. Best Regards, itik (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

5. Solaris

SSH enable, Telnet disable ...

Hi... How do I enable SSH and disable telnet.. Also - is there anything special I need to do to ensure that a new user can use ssh and su but not telnet? Adel (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ArabOracle.com
15 Replies

6. Solaris

Disable telnet for a particular user

On Solaris 8 is there anyway to disable telnet for a particular user and not for entire system altogether? I would like the user to retain a shell and so creating a noshell like ftp account is not an option. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: boshyd
14 Replies

7. AIX

Allow telnet in AIX from specific IP adds, but disable for everyone else

I need to change the security on our AIX servers and disable telnet from all but certain IP addresses. I have hashed the telnet line in /etc/inetd.conf and added filter rules for those IP adds to allow access on port 23, but this didn't work. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alps
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Having problems with finger on Solaris 10

I have a bunch of Solaris systems and for the 8/9 systems, I can type "finger -s 2" to get a list of all users (whether they are logged in or not) and the last time they logged in. I have some new 10 systems and this command does not work. Does anybody know whether this was changed in Solaris 10?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muller
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Solaris Finger Service Problem

I have been instructed to disable the finger service for our Solaris 10 box. However when I input #svcadm disable finger I receive: "svcadm: Pattern 'finger' does not match any instances. I have also tried to edit the inetd config file and comment out the finger part but Solaris has basically... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mvhoward
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

What is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ?

Hi there, I am eager to know what exactly is the use of "finger" command & how to use it to kill the online processes ? :b: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhijitpaul0212
1 Replies
fprintd(1)																fprintd(1)

NAME
fprintd - Fingerprint management daemon, and test applications SYNOPSYS
fprintd-enroll [username] fprintd-list username [usernames...] fprintd-verify [-f finger] [usename] fprintd-delete username [usernames...] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the fprintd command-line utilities. The fprintd daemon is accessed through D-Bus by those command-line utilities. ARGUMENTS
username The username for the user for which you want to query or modify the fingerprint database. Not that fprintd-list and fprintd-delete require at least one username to be passed, and support multiple usernames. fprintd-enroll and fprintd-verify will use the current username if none are passed on the command-line. -f finger For fprintd-enroll, the finger to enroll. Possible values are: left-thumb, left-index-finger, left-middle-finger, left-ring-finger, left-little-finger, right-thumb, right-index-finger, right- middle-finger, right-ring-finger, right-little-finger. The default is automatic, selecting the first available finger for swipe devices, or all the enrolled fingers, for press devices. TEST APPLICATIONS
fprintd-enroll Will enroll the user's right index finger into the database. fprintd-list Will list the user's enrolled fingerprints. fprintd-verify Will enroll the user's right index finger into the database. fprintd-enroll Will enroll the user's right index finger into the database. AUTHOR
fprintd was written by Bastien Nocera and Daniel Drake. DIRECTORIES
By default, fprintd stores the fingerprints in /var/lib/fprint/ SEE ALSO
dbus-daemon, gnome-about-me freedesktop 2014-06-10 fprintd(1)