Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting --killing backround Procs spawned from the parent script with Ctrl+C trap Post 303040388 by gilgamesh on Monday 28th of October 2019 09:17:07 AM
Old 10-28-2019
tested on both Solaris & Redhat:

SunOS esmqst09 5.11 11.4.5.3.0 sun4v sparc sun4v

Linux esmqst13 3.10.0-957.21.3.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jun 14 02:54:29 EDT 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Disable ctrl-c,ctrl-d,ctrl-d in ksh script

I wrote a ksh script for Helpdesk. I need to know how to disable ctrl-c,ctrl-z,ctrl-d..... so that helpdesk would not be able to get to system prompt :confused: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wtofu
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

forking and killing parent processes

Hi everybody, I'm having some problems wiriting a program in UNIX using the "fork" and "kill" system calls. I have to create a C program P0, which creates 9 other processes P1, P2, ..., P9, where P0 is the father of P1, P1 the father of P2, and so on. All the processes contain an infinite... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewilliams20
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killing parent shells from subshells (KSH)

Hi all, I have a shell script which calls other shell scripts, depending on the input. Within a.sh, I have a command which calls b.sh (ie. ksh b.sh) Normally, we use the exit function to terminate a shell. However, if I choose to call exit from b.sh, I will return to the parent shell who... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockysfr
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

trap ctrl c in shell script

how to trap the ctrl c in unix shell script my script is running in while loop it should not be terminate with ctrl c. if i press ctrl c while running script it shloud ignore the same. please healp.......... thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Child Killing Parent

Hi all, I am writing a script which calls other third party scripts that perform numerous actions. I have no control over these scripts. My problem is, one of these scripts seems to execute and do what it is meant to do, but my calling / parent script always exits at that point. I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap CTRL-C problem

I am trying to trap CTRL-C, now the program I call has it's own exit message, I think this is the problem .. This is what I have now : function dothis { echo 'you hit control-c' exit } function settrap { trap dothis SIGINT } settrap until false; do ./ITGRecv.exe doneDoing this I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pmarcoen
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap CTRL-C and background process

Hello, I have a script which copies via scp several large files to a remote server. What I want is that even if someone hits CTRL-C, the scp commands continues till the end. Here is what I wrote #! /bin/bash function testFunction { echo "COPY START" scp large.tar.gz... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertFord
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH to execute stored procs/ctrl files

I am needing to call sqlplus and sqlldr in the same korn shell script. Below are the steps that I need to accomplish. I am new to Oracle shell scripting so an example would be great. CBOB_LOAD.KSH - script name Calls Oracle stored procedure sp_CBOB_CLEAR_LN_STAGING (SERVER: TESTSVR100) Calls... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: acewilli
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with getting a Ctrl-C trap working w/ a piped tail -f...

Hi All, Although each line below seems to work by itself, I've been having trouble getting the Control-C trap working when I add the "|perl -pe..." to the end of the tail -f line, below. (That |perl -pe statement basically just adds color to highlight the word "ERROR" while tailing a log... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chatguy
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap killing PID

Hi, Just wonder if there is a way to identify the PID of the killing process using trap. Please let me know possible solution. #!/bin/ksh hello () { print "in hello"; print "PID of process issued SIGNAL"; --> this is what i'm looking for. } trap hello SIGKILL SIGTERM while... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gajendra_PH
3 Replies
trap(1) 							   User Commands							   trap(1)

NAME
trap, onintr - shell built-in functions to respond to (hardware) signals SYNOPSIS
sh trap [ argument n [n2...]] csh onintr [-| label] ksh *trap [ arg sig [ sig2...]] DESCRIPTION
sh The trap command argument is to be read and executed when the shell receives numeric or symbolic signal(s) (n). (Note: argument is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Trap commands are executed in order of signal number or corresponding symbolic names. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. An attempt to trap on signal 11 (memory fault) produces an error. If argument is absent all trap(s) n are reset to their original values. If argument is the null string this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If n is 0 the command argument is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. csh onintr controls the action of the shell on interrupts. With no arguments, onintr restores the default action of the shell on interrupts. (The shell terminates shell scripts and returns to the terminal command input level). With the - argument, the shell ignores all inter- rupts. With a label argument, the shell executes a goto label when an interrupt is received or a child process terminates because it was interrupted. ksh trap uses arg as a command to be read and executed when the shell receives signal(s) sig. (Note that arg is scanned once when the trap is set and once when the trap is taken.) Each sig can be given as a number or as the name of the signal. trap commands are executed in order of signal number. Any attempt to set a trap on a signal that was ignored on entry to the current shell is ineffective. If arg is omitted or is -, then the trap(s) for each sig are reset to their original values. If arg is the null (the empty string, e.g., "" ) string then this signal is ignored by the shell and by the commands it invokes. If sig is ERR then arg will be executed whenever a command has a non- zero exit status. If sig is DEBUG then arg will be executed after each command. If sig is 0 or EXIT for a trap set outside any function then the command arg is executed on exit from the shell. The trap command with no arguments prints a list of commands associated with each signal number. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), exit(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 23 Oct 1994 trap(1)