Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Replacing values inside a file. Post 303040387 by Neo on Monday 28th of October 2019 09:15:55 AM
Old 10-28-2019
Yes, of course it is possible.

HINT: Regular Expressions and just about any scripting language available on a Unix or Linux system.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in sed command ( Replacing a pattern inside a file with a variable value )

Hello, The following sed command is giving error sed: -e expression #1, char 13: unknown option to `s' The sed command is echo "//-----" | sed "s/\/\/---*/$parChk/g" where parChk="//---ee-" How can i print the variable value from sed command ? And is it possible to replace a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing File values

Currently I am using the tr command in 3 scenarios for a ksh script. 1) Replacing any spaces in the file with a ~ tr ' ' '~' <$orignalFile> $newFile 2) After certain processing is done at the end of the scirpt i convert the Tilde back to spaces tr ' ' '~' <$newFile> $newFile2 3) Last... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hgjdv
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing text inside xmltag

Hi All- I have a xml file with tag <Forename>ABCDEF</Forename> <Surname>ABCDEFGH</Surname> in between tag it could be anything I need to search <Forename></Forename> and change what ever there in between Regards, Sreejit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreejitnair123
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing values in a file based on values in another file

Hi I have 2 files:- 1. List of files which consists of names of some output files. 2. A delimited file; delimted by "|" I want to replace the value of the $23 (23rd column) in the delimited file with name in the first file. It is always position to position. Meaning first row of the first... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pparthiv
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing column 1 in one file with values in other file

Please help me with an shell / awk script to achieve following; File-1: ABCDW01 12322 23322 BDADW01 22232 24453 EDFAW00 32232 23422 and so on, notice that the first coloumn is a code and the another file contains the real value of each entry in the first colum above but not in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with use of Configuration file instead of hardcoded values inside the script

Hi, My code works perfectly fine. But, $my $min_to_add = 1 * 1 * 60; and my $hr_to_sub = 1 * 1 * 86400; i may need to change the values in future. so am keeping them in a separate configuration file like MIN = 1 * 1 * 60 HR = 24 * 60 * 60 in the script, i use a package use et_config... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing string values from a File

I want to replace string values from a file to a file For eg : File1 has 30 lines of string with values, those specific values needs to be changed in file2 and remaining values in file2 should be as it is. For example: From file (File1) cluster.name=secondaryCluster To replace File... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram003
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Taking sum up all values inside the file

Hi, Taking sum up all values inside the file by using the below command: paste -sd+ filenmae | bc Getting some error like "0705-001: building space exceeded on line1 stdin" The original data looks like SPACE SPACE SPACE 0.123 JOBNAME1 SPACE SPACE 20.325 JOBNAME2 SPACE SPACE... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NareshN
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the pattern and replacing the pattern inside the file

i have little challenge, help me out.i have a file where i have a value declared and and i have to replace the value when called. for example i have the value for abc and ccc. now i have to substitute the value of value abc and ccc in the place of them. Input File: go to &abc=ddd; if... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
16 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file to read values from Db2 table replacing hard coded values

Hi, I want to replace a chain of if-else statement in an old AWK file with values from Db2 table or CSV file. The part of code is below... if (start_new_rec=="true"){ exclude_user="false"; user=toupper($6); match(user, "XXXXX."); if (RSTART ==2 ) { ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: asandy1234
9 Replies
vgrindefs(5)						Standards, Environments, and Macros					      vgrindefs(5)

NAME
vgrindefs - vgrind's language definition data base SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/vgrindefs DESCRIPTION
vgrindefs contains all language definitions for vgrind(1). Capabilities in vgrindefs are of two types: Boolean capabilities which indicate that the language has some particular feature and string capabilities which give a regular expression or keyword list. Entries may continue onto multiple lines by giving a as the last character of a line. Lines starting with # are comments. Capabilities The following table names and describes each capability. +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |Name | Type |Description | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |ab | str |Regular expression for the start of an | | | |alternate form comment | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |ae | str |Regular expression for the end of an alter- | | | |nate form comment | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |bb | str |Regular expression for the start of a block | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |be | str |Regular expression for the end of a lexical | | | |block | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |cb | str |Regular expression for the start of a com- | | | |ment | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |ce | str |Regular expression for the end of a comment | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |id | str |String giving characters other than letters | | | |and digits that may legally occur in iden- | | | |tifiers (default `_') | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |kw | str |A list of keywords separated by spaces | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |lb | str |Regular expression for the start of a char- | | | |acter constant | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |le | str |Regular expression for the end of a charac- | | | |ter constant | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |oc | bool |Present means upper and lower case are | | | |equivalent | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |pb | str |Regular expression for start of a procedure | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |pl | bool |Procedure definitions are constrained to | | | |the lexical level matched by the `px' capa- | | | |bility | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |px | str |A match for this regular expression indi- | | | |cates that procedure definitions may occur | | | |at the next lexical level. Useful for lisp- | | | |like languages in which procedure defini- | | | |tions occur as subexpressions of defuns. | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |sb | str |Regular expression for the start of a | | | |string | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |se | str |Regular expression for the end of a string | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |tc | str |Use the named entry as a continuation of | | | |this one | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ |tl | bool |Present means procedures are only defined | | | |at the top lexical level | +-------+---------+--------------------------------------------+ Regular Expressions vgrindefs uses regular expressions similar to those of ex(1) and lex(1). The characters `^', `$', `:', and `' are reserved characters and must be `quoted' with a preceding if they are to be included as normal characters. The metasymbols and their meanings are: $ The end of a line ^ The beginning of a line d A delimiter (space, tab, newline, start of line) a Matches any string of symbols (like `.*' in lex) p Matches any identifier. In a procedure definition (the `pb' capability) the string that matches this symbol is used as the procedure name. () Grouping | Alternation ? Last item is optional e Preceding any string means that the string will not match an input string if the input string is preceded by an escape character (). This is typically used for languages (like C) that can include the string delimiter in a string by escaping it. Unlike other regular expressions in the system, these match words and not characters. Hence something like `(tramp|steamer)flies?' would match `tramp', `steamer', `trampflies', or `steamerflies'. Contrary to some forms of regular expressions, vgrindef alternation binds very tightly. Grouping parentheses are likely to be necessary in expressions involving alternation. Keyword List The keyword list is just a list of keywords in the language separated by spaces. If the `oc' boolean is specified, indicating that upper and lower case are equivalent, then all the keywords should be specified in lower case. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample program. The following entry, which describes the C language, is typical of a language entry. C|c|the C programming language: :pb=^d?*?d?pd?(a?)(d|{):bb={:be=}:cb=/*:ce=*/:sb=":se=e": :le=e':tl: :kw=asm auto break case char continue default do double else enum extern float for fortran goto if int long register return short sizeof static struct switch typedef union unsigned void while #define #else #endif #if #ifdef #ifndef #include #undef # define endif ifdef ifndef include undef defined: Note that the first field is just the language name (and any variants of it). Thus the C language could be specified to vgrind(1) as `c' or `C'. FILES
/usr/lib/vgrindefs file containing vgrind descriptions SEE ALSO
ex(1), lex(1), troff(1), vgrind(1) SunOS 5.10 10 Aug 1994 vgrindefs(5)