Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bash find version of an installed application but if none is found set variable to App Not Installed Post 303040338 by greavette on Saturday 26th of October 2019 10:03:40 PM
Old 10-26-2019
Thanks Again RudiC for your help. I'll now be able to use the
Code:
2>/dev/null || echo "not installed"

in future one line command scripts.

Your solution worked perfectly! Smilie

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find who installed an app

Hi, how could I find whether an application is installed by root or non-root I am assuming it would be logged in a file, if it is where would it be? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtamminx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Find the OS version Installed

Hi, I wanted to know how can I get the version of underlying HP-OS installed on a HPUX workstation. The output required is "June 2001" version or "March 2003" version etc whatever OS is present. Thanx in advance for your help. Regards, Pankaj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankschawla
3 Replies

3. AIX

MAN not found or not installed ??? Need help

Hello, I have installed my system AIX5.3 through NIM. The manual doesn't work. Do you have any idea ? Below my confid. There a specific fileset missing ? Thanks in advance for your help # man ls Manual entry for ls not found or not installed. # lslpp -l bos.rte.man Fileset ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run an application installed in another unix pc?

Do you guys have any suggestions? hpterm -e rlogin <another unix pc> ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jehrome_rando
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Trouble with installed / not installed rpm unixODBC/libodbc.so.1

Hey there, i run 1: on my server (RHEL 6) and getting response that the libodbc is not installed. If i use yum for installation, it tells me, there is no package like this ( 2: ). Since in the description of Definiens is mentioned that the Run-time dependency is unixODBC (libodbc.so.1), I assume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkirsten
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

installed java version ?

Hi, I want to know what version of the java is installed? Please let me know the command or process to identify the installed java version in sun solaris box. Thanks in advance for all your support. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

List of installed application on HP-UX

Hi All, I am trying to list down all the installed application/packages on hp-ux machine in below format : packagename:<application/package name> ; <application/package version> ; <application/package vendor> can someone suggest with small script for this.Will swlist command give... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
4 Replies

8. AIX

Username and installed application on AIX.

Hi, I am looking to get a list of applications and corresponding user who installed the same (owner) on AIX host. Can anyone confirm how can this information be retrieved? We can use "rpm" to get list of packages available on AIX, but is there a way to get the corresponding user as well for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
2 Replies
DPKG-WWW(1)						      General Commands Manual						       DPKG-WWW(1)

NAME
dpkg-www - program to remotely open a WWW Debian package browser SYNOPSIS
dpkg-www [-s|--stdout] [-h|--host host] [query] DESCRIPTION
dpkg-www is used to remotely control a WEB browser and open a dpkg URL on the local host from an interactive shell or script. If the command is invoked while running under X-window the script will try to find an installed X browser to open the specified URL. If not running under X it will try to use a text browser instead. If Netscape is found and a Netscape instance is already running it will be asked to open the dpkg URL on localhost with the optional query supplied on the command line. If there is no browser running, it will start automatically a new one. The functionality provided by this program is identical to running a web browser with the -remote openURL(http://localhost/cgi-bin/dpkg) argument or opening the same URL from within the browser. dpkg-www-installer is an helper application which can configured in the WWW browser for web installation. It should never be invoked directly by the user. OPTIONS
-s, --stdout Redirect output to stdout. Requires one of the text browsers (lynx, lynx-ssl or links) installed. -h, --host host Send the query to a remote host, where dpkg-www must be installed. query Specifies an optional package name, an absolute pathname or a query argument which is passed to the dpkg cgi-bin. See dpkg-www(8) for more information about the use of the cgi. FILES
/etc/dpkg-www.conf ~/.dpkg-www Configuration files for dpkg-www. It is not necessary for these files to exist, there are sensible defaults for everything, but you can specify your preferred www browser with the DPKG_WWW_BROWSER variable, for example: DPKG_WWW_BROWSER=mozilla EXAMPLES
dpkg-www This would open a dpkg URL on localhost listing all the installed packages. dpkg-www bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package. dpkg-www -h pisolo bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the bash package on host pisolo. dpkg-www 'dpkg*' This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages matching dpkg*. dpkg-www /bin/bash This would open a dpkg URL asking info on the package(s) owning the file /bin/bash . dpkg-www depends=svgalib This would open a dpkg URL listing all packages depending on svgalib. dpkg-www --stdout depends=awk | grep ^ii This would list on stdout all packages depending on awk and grep all lines of installed packages. SEE ALSO
dpkg(8), dpkg-www(8) AUTHOR
Massimo Dal Zotto <dz@debian.org>. Bugs should be reported via the normal Debian bug reporting system. LICENCE
dpkg-www is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2. September 1, 2004 DPKG-WWW(1)