Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming To Perl or not to Perl, that is the question... ;o) Post 303040326 by wisecracker on Saturday 26th of October 2019 03:03:43 PM
Old 10-26-2019
Hi DracoSentien...
Quote:
P.S. Sorry, for going off topic with LISP but this guy already dived in head deep with making an Oscillograph with PERL so I decided to make this post for other readers who are interested in cybersecurity and also make the moral of the story that trendy new shiny languages are not always better although I am not denigrating Python here.
I assume you mean me, I jump in at the deep end with something like Oscillo[scopes/graphs] as I know far more about measuring gear than programming so I know what I want from the language.
I did al[l]sorts using Python from versions 1.4.0 to 3.7.4 and now include 3.8.0.
Python is soooo easy that I now dedicate my Python code to work for the AMIGA Python 1.4.0 to 3.8.0 on __all__ platforms.

This is my 'pièce de résistance' all hosted on this site, in case you have never seen it, I wanted to learn bash and it is a huge read and the ADMIN allowed it to be hosted here:

The Start Of A Simple Audio Scope Shell Script...

AND follows on here:

AudioScope Project.

I have a much later version but not uploaded yet but the thread can remain closed until I am ready.

You might like this in pure ksh93, a Discrete Fourier Transform, oh the pleasure of floating point:

DFT using pure ksh ONLY!

I don't think you will ever see anything like these anywhere else, and I still haven't found the limits of bash yet, and certainly not ksh93!

As for LISP, I watched several episodes of this whilst at work, (shhhh), and got a mild grasp of the language, this is the very first video, MIT:

YouTube

Last edited by wisecracker; 10-26-2019 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: URLs did not show up correctly...
This User Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Question

Can anyone tell me if the copy command in PERL has the same functionality as in KSH shell in UNIX or does it actually move the file ?? $cp_stat=system("cp $ENV{OLAMEBSDIR}/data/olam.ddabal$type $ENV{OLAMDIR}/balance/data/olam.ddabal$type.$HeaderDate"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frank
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL question

Could someone tell me what is wrong with these PERL statements it is always setting the $status2 to the number inside of the brackets......why???????? if (/^Status:/) { $stat = $Fld; print "\$stat is $stat\n"; } the above is where i'm searching for a string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frank
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Perl

Where can i find solid information about programming in Perl? Thank you in advance!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: tk question

When i run my perl/tk script, a perl window pops up behind the GUI window,, can this be hidden???? Also, can the Icon be changed, the Tk icon in every window??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl question

If I use 2 system commands in a script, will one finish before the next one starts? or will it start the first and the second at the same time? i.e. system("ps | grep rminer"); system("ls -al | grep 431"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Question

Hi everyone I am not even a novice at Perl scripting .. but had to edit one the other day. The only way I can get it to run is by prefixing 'perl' before running it - ie # perl scriptname I am running AIX. Any ideas why i have to do that ? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL I/O question

Playing with an until loop as follows: my $input; until ($input eq "quit") { print "Please enter something:"; $input = <STDIN>; chomp $input; if ($input eq "dog") { print "cat" ; } else { print "Please re-enter"; } } Something simple like this... I want to prompt the user to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesokay
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question!

Hi All, I am new to perl and just want to read the text file and write back it into another file with some modification. Here is my requirement: input file: USB_OTG_PATH top.usb_top.otg_top USB_HSIC_PATH top.usb_top.hsic_top .. (All starts with USB_) ... START_PATH USB_OTG_PATH.interrupt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: surisingh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question

Hi All, I am new to Perl and got a real stupid question. We are trying to install the Date:Calc package for some calculations with dates.The security guys mentioned they won't install it as root in /usr/bin/perl but have asked us to install it in any directory and use it from there. Here's the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
SHEDSKIN(1)															       SHEDSKIN(1)

NAME
Shedskin - An experimental (restricted) Python-to-C++ Compiler SYNOPSIS
shedskin [OPTION]... FILE DESCRIPTION
Shed Skin is an experimental compiler, that can translate pure, but implicitly statically typed Python (2.4-2.6) programs into optimized C++. It can generate stand-alone programs or extension modules that can be imported and used in larger Python programs. Besides the typing restriction, programs cannot freely use the Python standard library (although about 25 common modules, such as random and re, are currently supported). Also, not all Python features, such as nested functions and variable numbers of arguments, are supported. OPTIONS
-a --ann Output annotated source code (.ss.py) -b --nobounds Disable bounds checking -e --extmod Generate extension module -f --flags Provide alternate Makefile flags -l --long Use long long integers -m --makefile Specify alternate Makefile name -n --silent Silent mode, only show warnings -o --noassert Disable assert statements -r --random Use fast random number generator (rand()) -s --strhash Use fast string hashing algorithm (murmur) -w --nowrap Disable wrap-around checking -x --traceback Print traceback for uncaught exceptions -L --lib Add a library directory 0.9.2 2012-05-05 SHEDSKIN(1)