Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bash find version of an installed application but if none is found set variable to App Not Installed Post 303040309 by greavette on Saturday 26th of October 2019 10:54:59 AM
Old 10-26-2019
Bash find version of an installed application but if none is found set variable to App Not Installed

Hello Forum,

I'm issuing a one line bash command to look for the version of an installed application and saving the result to a variable like so:

Code:
APP=application --version

But if the application is not installed I want to return to my variable that the Application is not installed. So I'm looking for a command something like the following:

Code:
APP=application --version &&  echo "Application is not installed";

Or perhaps a better way to find this would be to look at when the application was installed using:

Code:
rpm -aq --last | grep <application>

Where I would again want the result to show either the app installed version and date and if not found return the text "Application is not installed".

What is the correct syntax of this one line command to gather the information I need into my $APP variable?

Thank you.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find who installed an app

Hi, how could I find whether an application is installed by root or non-root I am assuming it would be logged in a file, if it is where would it be? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtamminx
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Find the OS version Installed

Hi, I wanted to know how can I get the version of underlying HP-OS installed on a HPUX workstation. The output required is "June 2001" version or "March 2003" version etc whatever OS is present. Thanx in advance for your help. Regards, Pankaj (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pankschawla
3 Replies

3. AIX

MAN not found or not installed ??? Need help

Hello, I have installed my system AIX5.3 through NIM. The manual doesn't work. Do you have any idea ? Below my confid. There a specific fileset missing ? Thanks in advance for your help # man ls Manual entry for ls not found or not installed. # lslpp -l bos.rte.man Fileset ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run an application installed in another unix pc?

Do you guys have any suggestions? hpterm -e rlogin <another unix pc> ??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jehrome_rando
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

Trouble with installed / not installed rpm unixODBC/libodbc.so.1

Hey there, i run 1: on my server (RHEL 6) and getting response that the libodbc is not installed. If i use yum for installation, it tells me, there is no package like this ( 2: ). Since in the description of Definiens is mentioned that the Run-time dependency is unixODBC (libodbc.so.1), I assume... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkirsten
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

installed java version ?

Hi, I want to know what version of the java is installed? Please let me know the command or process to identify the installed java version in sun solaris box. Thanks in advance for all your support. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridhardwh
3 Replies

7. HP-UX

List of installed application on HP-UX

Hi All, I am trying to list down all the installed application/packages on hp-ux machine in below format : packagename:<application/package name> ; <application/package version> ; <application/package vendor> can someone suggest with small script for this.Will swlist command give... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: omkar.jadhav
4 Replies

8. AIX

Username and installed application on AIX.

Hi, I am looking to get a list of applications and corresponding user who installed the same (owner) on AIX host. Can anyone confirm how can this information be retrieved? We can use "rpm" to get list of packages available on AIX, but is there a way to get the corresponding user as well for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vipin Batra
2 Replies
Jifty::ClassLoader(3pm) 				User Contributed Perl Documentation				   Jifty::ClassLoader(3pm)

NAME
Jifty::ClassLoader - Loads the application classes DESCRIPTION
"Jifty::ClassLoader" loads all of the application's model and action classes, generating classes on the fly for Collections of pre-existing models. new Returns a new ClassLoader object. Doing this installs a hook into @INC that allows Jifty::ClassLoader to dynamically create needed classes if they do not exist already. This works because if use/require encounters a blessed reference in @INC, it will invoke the INC method with the name of the module it is searching for on the reference. Takes one mandatory argument, "base", which should be the the application's or a plugin's base path; all of the classes under this will be automatically loaded. Jifty::ClassLoader objects are singletons per "base". If you call "new" and a class loader for the given base has already been initialized, this will return a reference to that object rather than creating a new one. INC The hook that is called when a module has been "require"'d that cannot be found on disk. The following stub classes are auto-generated the class loader. Here the "Application" indicates the name of the application the class loader is being applied to. However, this really just refers to the "base" argument passed to the constructor, so it could refer to a plugin class or just about anything else. Application An empty application base class is created that doesn't provide any methods or inherit from anything. Application::Action An empty mixin class for all actions in your application. Should not inherit from Jifty::Action. Application::Action::[Verb][Something] If Application::Model::Something is a valid model class and Verb is one of "Create", "Search", "Update", "Execute", or "Delete", then it creates a subclass of Application::Action::Record::Verb Models can control which actions are generated by overriding "autogenerate_action" in Jifty::Record. See also "is_private" in Jifty::Record and "is_protected" in Jifty::Record. Application::Action::Something The class loader will search for a plugin Plugin such that "Plugin::Action::Something" exists. It will then create an empty class named Application::Action::Something that descends from Plugin::Action::Something. This means that a plugin may be written to allow the application to override the default implementation used by the plugin as long as the plugin uses the application version of the class. Application::Action::Record::Something An empty class that descends from the matching Jifty class, Jifty::Action::Record::Something. This is generally used to build application-specific descendants of Jifty::Action::Record::Create, Jifty::Action::Record::Execute, Jifty::Action::Record::Search, Jifty::Action::Record::Update, or Jifty::Action::Record::Delete. Application::Bootstrap An empty class that descends from Jifty::Bootstrap. Application::Collection An empty class that descends from Jifty::Collection is created. Application::CurrentUser An empty class that descends from Jifty::CurrentUser. Application::Dispatcher An empty class that descends from Jifty::Dispatcher. Application::Event An empty class that descends from Jifty::Event is created. Application::Event::Model An empty class that descents from Jifty::Event::Model is created. Application::Event::Model::Something If Application::Model::Something is a valid model class, then it creates an empty descendant of Application::Event::Model with the "record_class" set to Application::Model::Something. Application::Handle An empty class that descends from Jifty::Handle is created. Application::Model::Something If "Plugin::Model::Something" exists and is a model class, then it creates a subclass of it named "Application::Model::Something" for the local application. This allows an application to customize a model provided by a subclass (or choose not to). Plugins should be written to use the application's version. Application::Model::SomethingCollection If "Application::Model::Something" is a valid model class, then it creates a subclass of Jifty::Collection whose "record_class" is "Application::Model::Something". Application::Notification An empty class that descends from Jifty::Notification. Application::Notification::Something The class loader will search for a plugin Plugin such that Plugin::Notification::Something exists. It will then create an empty class named Application::Notification::Something that descends from Plugin::Notification::Something. This allows an application to customize the email notification sent out by a plugin as long as the plugin defers to the application version of the class. Application::Record An empty class that descends from Jifty::Record is created. Application::Upgrade An empty class that descends from Jifty::Upgrade. Application::View An empty class that descends from Jifty::View::Declare. return_class CODE A helper method; takes CODE as a string and returns an open filehandle containing that CODE. require Loads all of the application's Actions and Models. It additionally "require"'s all Collections and Create/Update actions for each Model base class -- which will auto-create them using the above code if they do not exist on disk. require_classes_from_database Jifty supports model classes that aren't files on disk but instead records in your database. It's a little bit mind bending, but basically, you can build an application entirely out of the database without ever writing a line of code(*). * As of early 2007, this forward looking statement is mostly a lie. But we're working on it. This method finds all database-backed models and instantiates jifty classes for them it returns a list of class names of the models it created. require_views Load up $appname::View, the view class for the application. models Accessor to the list of models this application has loaded. In scalar context, returns a mutable array reference; in list context, return the content of the array. stringify ClassLoaders stringify as "Jifty::ClassLoader(base class name)" DESTROY When the ClassLoader gets garbage-collected, its entry in @INC needs to be removed. autogenerated PACKAGE Returns true if the package was autogenerated by a classloader. WRITING YOUR OWN CLASSES
If you require more functionality than is provided by the classes created by ClassLoader (which you'll almost certainly need to do if you want an application that does more than display a pretty Pony) then you should create a class with the appropriate name and add your extra logic to it. For example you will almost certainly want to write your own dispatcher, so something like: package MyApp::Dispatcher; use Jifty::Dispatcher -base; If you want to add some application specific behaviour to a model's collection class, say for the User model, create UserCollection.pm in your applications Model directory. package MyApp::Model::UserCollection; use base 'MyApp::Collection'; SEE ALSO
Jifty and just about every other class that this provides an empty override for. LICENSE
Jifty is Copyright 2005-2010 Best Practical Solutions, LLC. Jifty is distributed under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2010-12-10 Jifty::ClassLoader(3pm)