Sponsored Content
Top Forums Web Development Discrepancies Between Our Mobile Detection Code and Google Analytics Regarding Chinese User Agents Post 303040224 by Neo on Friday 25th of October 2019 06:09:01 AM
Old 10-25-2019
Here is a link to a similar discussion about the same Chinese bots, identified as "mobile devices" by our system which have been hammering the site of late:

Blocking aggressive Chinese crawlers/scrapers/bots - John Large - Technology, Hardware,Web Development, Digital Privacy & Ethics

So far, I am just sending many of these UAs to 403, but may come up with some better idea after more logging and analysis.

I am not keen on "mass blocking" but these bots are really extreme and the IP addresses are changing so much that IP address blocking will not work; so I have to block based on UA.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Search and Replace Question for Google Analytics

Well, I'm losing my regex ability in sed! Please help. I need to search for this text in multiple html files in a directory: </body> and add the following lines in front of the text above: <script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" type="text/javascript"> </script> ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
11 Replies

2. Google Chrome OS

Google Chrome Mobile?

I know that Google Chrome came out with the Android under a Unix based system, but did it come out yet for Windows Mobile? I have Windows Mobile 6 on my device. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Hussie
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

User Agents Identifier

Hi, Can anyone help me write a script tp determine the web browser from a user agent. A user agent is stored in a file and consists of hundreds of lines e.g. 37050 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko 29404 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyberfrog
4 Replies

4. Web Development

Quick Fix for Google Search Console "Page is not mobile friendly"

Over the past 10 plus years, we have countless posts where the user did not use CODE tags or they used ICODE tags incorrectly. This has has the results of this site penalized by Google for having pages which are "not mobile friendly". So, working quietly in the background, in the thankless... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Google Search Console - Mobile Usability - No Errors or Issues - New Milestone

For the first time in the history of the site Google Search Console (GSC) has unix.com showing "no mobile viewability errors". This is no small achievement considering the hundreds of thousand of lines of legacy code we run at a site which has been around much longer than Facebook or LinkedIn: ... (0 Replies)
0 Replies
HOTPLUG(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							HOTPLUG(8)

NAME
hotplug - Linux hotplugging support scripts SYNOPSIS
hotplug [ help | --help | NAME ] DESCRIPTION
hotplug is a program which is used by the kernel to notify user mode software when some significant (usually hardware-related) events take place. An example is when a USB or Cardbus device has just been plugged in. This is useful for automatically loading and setting up driv- ers, packaged either as kernel modules or as user mode programs. The hotplug program path name is registered in /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug, and normally holds the value /sbin/hotplug. Except for special- ized configurations such as initrd(4) configurations, that identifies a shell script which delegates to specific "policy agents", /etc/hot- plug/NAME.agent. The name of the agent is given by the kernel as the first command-line parameter. The name corresponds to a specific kernel subsystem whose events it processes (e.g. "usb", "pci", "net" etc.). Information about an event is usually passed to agents in the form of environment variables. Most agents accept a "ACTION" variable that describes the type of the event. It can be, for example, "add" or "remove" to signify that some device has just been connected to or dis- connected from the system respectively. In such requests, agents are also given variables describing at the device (and its location) so that they can choose the appropriate drivers to set up. hotplug agents aren't necessarily called only by the kernel though. While the OS is initializing, the "cold-plugging" case, the hotplug script in /etc/init.d/hotplug is invoked to make sure that all device connected at boot are properly configured, applying the same rules as if they were connected later. FILES
/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug specifies hotplug program path /sbin/hotplug hotplug program (default path name) /etc/hotplug/* hotplug files /etc/hotplug/NAME.agent hotplug subsystem-specific agents /etc/hotplug/NAME* subsystem-specific files, for agents /etc/hotplug/NAME/* driver setup scripts, invoked by agents SEE ALSO
initrd(4) The http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/ web site. AUTHORS
hotplug is developed by Linux Hotplugging Project http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/ This manual page was originally written by Fumitoshi UKAI <ukai@debian.or.jp>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others), based on original Japanese version of manpage. February 2001 HOTPLUG(8)