Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Macos is the UNIX?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Macos is the UNIX? Post 303040186 by Corona688 on Thursday 24th of October 2019 02:59:32 PM
Old 10-24-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodona
its true that MacOS is more "unix-like' than Linux because of UNIX certification. On the other hand totally unrelated Z/OS, BS2000 and other proprietary mainframe OS'ses also have posix certification. That's it and that's all either.
That's all it means.
Quote:
MacOS has nothing to do with the classic UNIX approach of free and open
The culture is not UNIX culture, it's BSD and GNU. The entire "classic UNIX approach of free and open" was anti-UNIX backlash! A little history is needed to understand why.
  • Until "recently", UNIX was a monolithic copyright and licensed software hoarded by AT&T.
  • Richard Stallman disliked the closed binary approach and began GNU to create a portable, compatible, open UNIX alternative.
  • BSD, in modern parlance, was an open, pre-AT&T "fork" of UNIX, in pure sourcecode form. "Binary source distribution" in short.
  • Linux was a madcap project out of nowhere which got so popular that GNU adopted it over their HURD kernel.

The modern meaning of UNIX has changed. It's now a paper standard and series of tests of describing the languages, API's, programs, and shells that must be available for an operating system to call itself UNIX. Certification is not free. The standards need upkeep paid for somehow.

So, open and closed systems can both be UNIX, the same way different brands of appliances use the same wall sockets. And the standard means that one UNIX system can run the same software as a completely different UNIX system, given source code and a little work.

Last edited by Corona688; 10-24-2019 at 04:06 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX on MacOS X

I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has been using the BSD UNIX that underlies MacOS X. Is this an "industrial strength" version of UNIX? Can I run X-Windows on such a machine? How about TeXing, pythoning, PERLing or using other useful UNIX goodies near and dear to my shrunken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncmathsadist
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vuze/MacOS X: Too many open files

1) How can I stop Vuze from reporting the following error: "Too many open files" ? 2) What directory do I need to be in to effectively utilize this command: sudo bash -c 'ulimit -n 8192; sudo -u username ./azureus' ? 3) Is this the maximum number of files that I can allot to Vuze on OS X... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JFraser1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Memory leak with awk on MacOs

Dear all, I use awk quite a bit for data wrangling ... today I find weird behavior that I cannot wrap my head around. if I execute the following command (simplified to illustrate the behavior ... nothing to do with the real command) bash-3.2$ awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comm|getline
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX tool on MacOS that can increase resolution of a file

hi, I am searching for a native tool on MacOS that can increase the resolution of a group of image files whose aspect ratios (file width versus height) vary widely. There are numerous files so I don't wish to do this manually. Someone suggested the sips command with the resampling option but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Godtookapicture
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot

Sadly, I have turned off my access to the Apple Developers Beta program after installing macOS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago. After the install, I rebooted by MacBook Air and it "hard froze" and we were heading out of town so I grabbed a backup MBA running Mojave. Then, after getting back at... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

6. Programming

Campimeter.sh for macOS

Hi Neo... This is me too except for the attention span. As soon as I find a solution to something I let others better it. And as for doing something different I have done some bizarre stuff on here... <wink> /Me awaits the mickey take... ;oD OT: Here is a small snippet for a terminal window... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
AnyDBM_File(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					  AnyDBM_File(3pm)

NAME
AnyDBM_File - provide framework for multiple DBMs NDBM_File, DB_File, GDBM_File, SDBM_File, ODBM_File - various DBM implementations SYNOPSIS
use AnyDBM_File; DESCRIPTION
This module is a "pure virtual base class"--it has nothing of its own. It's just there to inherit from one of the various DBM packages. It prefers ndbm for compatibility reasons with Perl 4, then Berkeley DB (See DB_File), GDBM, SDBM (which is always there--it comes with Perl), and finally ODBM. This way old programs that used to use NDBM via dbmopen() can still do so, but new ones can reorder @ISA: BEGIN { @AnyDBM_File::ISA = qw(DB_File GDBM_File NDBM_File) } use AnyDBM_File; Having multiple DBM implementations makes it trivial to copy database formats: use Fcntl; use NDBM_File; use DB_File; tie %newhash, 'DB_File', $new_filename, O_CREAT|O_RDWR; tie %oldhash, 'NDBM_File', $old_filename, 1, 0; %newhash = %oldhash; DBM Comparisons Here's a partial table of features the different packages offer: odbm ndbm sdbm gdbm bsd-db ---- ---- ---- ---- ------ Linkage comes w/ perl yes yes yes yes yes Src comes w/ perl no no yes no no Comes w/ many unix os yes yes[0] no no no Builds ok on !unix ? ? yes yes ? Code Size ? ? small big big Database Size ? ? small big? ok[1] Speed ? ? slow ok fast FTPable no no yes yes yes Easy to build N/A N/A yes yes ok[2] Size limits 1k 4k 1k[3] none none Byte-order independent no no no no yes Licensing restrictions ? ? no yes no [0] on mixed universe machines, may be in the bsd compat library, which is often shunned. [1] Can be trimmed if you compile for one access method. [2] See DB_File. Requires symbolic links. [3] By default, but can be redefined. SEE ALSO
dbm(3), ndbm(3), DB_File(3), perldbmfilter perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 AnyDBM_File(3pm)