Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Macos is the UNIX?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Macos is the UNIX? Post 303040007 by Corona688 on Monday 21st of October 2019 04:33:00 PM
Old 10-21-2019
In the literal, legal sense, UNIX means you had your operating system tested and certified as UNIX-compliant. Apple did this, and Linux hasn't (and perhaps can't, except for a tiny subset of configurations and features.)

In the same sense, Windows NT was partly compliant back in the day. They hastily added enough bolt-on modules and compatibility software it was compliant for a few narrow cases.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX on MacOS X

I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has been using the BSD UNIX that underlies MacOS X. Is this an "industrial strength" version of UNIX? Can I run X-Windows on such a machine? How about TeXing, pythoning, PERLing or using other useful UNIX goodies near and dear to my shrunken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncmathsadist
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vuze/MacOS X: Too many open files

1) How can I stop Vuze from reporting the following error: "Too many open files" ? 2) What directory do I need to be in to effectively utilize this command: sudo bash -c 'ulimit -n 8192; sudo -u username ./azureus' ? 3) Is this the maximum number of files that I can allot to Vuze on OS X... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JFraser1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Memory leak with awk on MacOs

Dear all, I use awk quite a bit for data wrangling ... today I find weird behavior that I cannot wrap my head around. if I execute the following command (simplified to illustrate the behavior ... nothing to do with the real command) bash-3.2$ awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comm|getline
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX tool on MacOS that can increase resolution of a file

hi, I am searching for a native tool on MacOS that can increase the resolution of a group of image files whose aspect ratios (file width versus height) vary widely. There are numerous files so I don't wish to do this manually. Someone suggested the sips command with the resampling option but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Godtookapicture
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot

Sadly, I have turned off my access to the Apple Developers Beta program after installing macOS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago. After the install, I rebooted by MacBook Air and it "hard froze" and we were heading out of town so I grabbed a backup MBA running Mojave. Then, after getting back at... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

6. Programming

Campimeter.sh for macOS

Hi Neo... This is me too except for the attention span. As soon as I find a solution to something I let others better it. And as for doing something different I have done some bizarre stuff on here... <wink> /Me awaits the mickey take... ;oD OT: Here is a small snippet for a terminal window... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
FBPANEL(1)							   User Commands							FBPANEL(1)

NAME
fbpanel - a NETWM compliant lightweight GTK2-based panel for UNIX desktop. SYNOPSIS
fbpanel [OPTION] DESCRIPTION
fbpanel is desktop panel which provides graphical information and feedback about desktop activity and allows interaction with the window manager. It features: o taskbar - shows a list of the managed windows (tasks) o pager - thumbnailed view of the desktop. o launchbar - buttons to quickly launch applications o show desktop - button to iconify or shade all windows o image - display an image o clock - show the current time and/or date o system tray - tray for XEMBED icons (aka docklets) fbpanel requires NETWM (www.freedesktop.org) compliant window manager. You can run many instances of fbpanel each with its own configura- tion (see OPTIONS below). Most updated info about fbpanel can be found on its home page: http://fbpanel.sf.net/ OPTIONS
--help -- print help message and exit. --version -- print version and exit. --log <number> -- set log level 0-5. 0 - none 5 - chatty --configure -- open configuration dialog --profile <name> -- use specified profile. The profile is loaded from the file ~/.config/fbpanel/<name>. If that fails, fbpanel will load /usr/share/fbpanel/default. No -p option is equivalent to -p default -h -- same as --help -p -- same as --profile -v -- same as --version -C -- same as --configure CUSTOMIZATION
fbpanel will create a default profile file in case there noone exists already. Default profile file contains comments and explanation inside, so it should be easy. For a complete list of options and examples, please read '/usr/share/doc/fbpanel/README'. FILES
~/.config/fbpanel/ Directory with the user's private profiles ~/.config/fbpanel/default The user's default profile. /usr/share/doc/fbpanel/README The fbpanel documentation. Contain a list of features and pretty useful examples of their funcionality. AUTHOR
fbpanel was written by Anatoly Asviyan <aanatoly@users.sf.net>. This manual page was originally written for the Debian GNU/Linux system by Shyamal Prasad <shyamal@member.fsf.org> and updated by Ulises Vitulli <dererk@debian.org>. fbpanel 6.1 Jul 2010 FBPANEL(1)