Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Macos is the UNIX?
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Macos is the UNIX? Post 303040007 by Corona688 on Monday 21st of October 2019 04:33:00 PM
Old 10-21-2019
In the literal, legal sense, UNIX means you had your operating system tested and certified as UNIX-compliant. Apple did this, and Linux hasn't (and perhaps can't, except for a tiny subset of configurations and features.)

In the same sense, Windows NT was partly compliant back in the day. They hastily added enough bolt-on modules and compatibility software it was compliant for a few narrow cases.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX on MacOS X

I am interested in knowing if anyone out there has been using the BSD UNIX that underlies MacOS X. Is this an "industrial strength" version of UNIX? Can I run X-Windows on such a machine? How about TeXing, pythoning, PERLing or using other useful UNIX goodies near and dear to my shrunken... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ncmathsadist
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vuze/MacOS X: Too many open files

1) How can I stop Vuze from reporting the following error: "Too many open files" ? 2) What directory do I need to be in to effectively utilize this command: sudo bash -c 'ulimit -n 8192; sudo -u username ./azureus' ? 3) Is this the maximum number of files that I can allot to Vuze on OS X... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JFraser1
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Memory leak with awk on MacOs

Dear all, I use awk quite a bit for data wrangling ... today I find weird behavior that I cannot wrap my head around. if I execute the following command (simplified to illustrate the behavior ... nothing to do with the real command) bash-3.2$ awk... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: comm|getline
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX tool on MacOS that can increase resolution of a file

hi, I am searching for a native tool on MacOS that can increase the resolution of a group of image files whose aspect ratios (file width versus height) vary widely. There are numerous files so I don't wish to do this manually. Someone suggested the sips command with the resampling option but... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Godtookapicture
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot

Sadly, I have turned off my access to the Apple Developers Beta program after installing macOS 10.15 Catalina a few days ago. After the install, I rebooted by MacBook Air and it "hard froze" and we were heading out of town so I grabbed a backup MBA running Mojave. Then, after getting back at... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

6. Programming

Campimeter.sh for macOS

Hi Neo... This is me too except for the attention span. As soon as I find a solution to something I let others better it. And as for doing something different I have done some bizarre stuff on here... <wink> /Me awaits the mickey take... ;oD OT: Here is a small snippet for a terminal window... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
3 Replies
SETUID(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							 SETUID(2)

NAME
setuid, seteuid, setgid, setegid -- set user and group ID LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int setuid(uid_t uid); int seteuid(uid_t euid); int setgid(gid_t gid); int setegid(gid_t egid); DESCRIPTION
The setuid() function sets the real and effective user IDs and the saved set-user-ID of the current process to the specified value. The setuid() function is permitted if the specified ID is equal to the real user ID of the process, or if the effective user ID is that of the super user. The setgid() function sets the real and effective group IDs and the saved set-group-ID of the current process to the specified value. The setgid() function is permitted if the specified ID is equal to the real group ID of the process, or if the effective user ID is that of the super user. Supplementary group IDs remain unchanged. The seteuid() function (setegid()) sets the effective user ID (group ID) of the current process. The effective user ID may be set to the value of the real user ID or the saved set-user-ID (see intro(2) and execve(2)); in this way, the effective user ID of a set-user-ID exe- cutable may be toggled by switching to the real user ID, then re-enabled by reverting to the set-user-ID value. Similarly, the effective group ID may be set to the value of the real group ID or the saved set-group-ID. RETURN VALUES
Upon success, these functions return 0; otherwise -1 is returned. If the user is not the super user, or the uid specified is not the real, effective ID, or saved ID, these functions return -1. SEE ALSO
getgid(2), getgroups(2), getuid(2) STANDARDS
The setuid() and setgid() functions are compliant with the ISO/IEC 9945-1:1990 (``POSIX.1'') specification with _POSIX_SAVED_IDS not defined. We do not implement the _POSIX_SAVED_IDS option as specified in the standard because this would make it impossible for a set-user-ID exe- cutable owned by a user other than the super-user to permanently revoke its privileges. The seteuid() and setegid() functions are compliant with IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The setuid() and setgid() functions appeared in Version 2 AT&T UNIX and Version 4 AT&T UNIX, respectively. BSD
April 3, 2010 BSD