Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Syntax error in subtraction in Bash Post 303040006 by wisecracker on Monday 21st of October 2019 01:35:04 PM
Old 10-21-2019
I am assuming you are using bash or perhaps a POSIX shell like dash.
Your error is telling you that it is not possible to do such a task as these shells have INTEGER arithmetic only.

If you need floating/fixed point arithmetic then you will have to do workarounds using, bc, dc, python, perl, awk or any other methods that are capable of such mechanisms.

(Just an observation, you have both, ${barr1[$i]} and also ${harr1[j]} are these correct?)

EDIT:
Note the second one should have ${harr1[$j]}

An example longhand using INTEGER arithmetic and FIXED point, OSX 10.14.6, default bash terminal:
Code:
Last login: Mon Oct 21 18:25:40 on ttys000
AMIGA:amiga~> x=.098765
AMIGA:amiga~> y=10.3
AMIGA:amiga~> x=$( printf "%.f" ${x}e+12 )
AMIGA:amiga~> y=$( printf "%.f" ${y}e+12 )
AMIGA:amiga~> printf "%.12f\n" $(( y - x ))e-12
AMIGA:amiga~> _

Last edited by wisecracker; 10-21-2019 at 02:50 PM.. Reason: See EDIT:
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to wisecracker For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script syntax error

I'm trying to write a simple script that takes all the .tar.gz files in a directory and verifies them by using the gzip -tv command: for zip in *.tar.gz do gzip -tv $zip if ; then #Check return code from tar echo "File ${zip} verified OK." exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtraction in bash arrays

hi i am using bash shell to perform some subraction. here is what i have: i have a while loop and am using i as a counter. diff= `expr ${ARRAY1} - ${ARRAY2}` for example array1 has -0.7145 and array2 has -0.7041. when i try the above command, i get expr: non-numeric argument. any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash syntax error: command not found

I am trying to create a shell that asks the user to enter their name, and compare it to my own by saying we have the same name or saying my name and that they have a nice name too. Here is my script... #!/bin/bash-x echo "Enter your name". read name if then echo "My name is Adam too"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amaxey45
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax error

while read line do mkdir $line scp -r Docking_results/docking_$line.pdb $line/ cd /$line/ set a=`grep ENDMDL docking_'$line'.pdb | wc -l` set b=`expr $a - 2` csplit -k -s -n 3 -f docking_'$line'. docking'$line'.pdb '/^ENDMDL/+1' '{'$b'}' foreach f (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to pass a password: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

howdy, so I'm make a plugin work for Nagios, and the commandline is: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_mssql -H MySQLServerName -u MySqlAccountName -p MyPassword(#XXXXX -d MyDatabaseName it is barfing with: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' Thoughts? Do I have to wrap something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgouette
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

// AIX 6.1 I am getting a syntax error below. Please advise what to be corrected. :confused: runmqsc CERN.$(echo `hostname` | cut -d'.' -f1 | tr '' '').$(echo $environment | tr '' '') <<! | egrep -i '(FROM.NC.APPLIANCE)' | sort -u |awk '{print $2}' | cut -d '(' -f2 | cut -d ')' -f1 |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Bash algorithm with sum/subtraction

Hi all, i'm making some test on a data file. Imagine i have two columns inside it : 80377,20 80377,20 80379,19 80378,20 80380,20 80382,20 80381,21 Just to understand how can it works, imagine to subtract 100 to the number in the first column when the other one in the second... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function using variable in it syntax error

The below bash function uses multiple variables CODING, SAMPLE, SURVEY, andvariant in it. The user selects the cap function and details are displayed on the screen using the $SURVEY variable, the directory is changed to $SAMPLE and the samples.txt is opened so the user can select the sample to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash calling a few functions syntax error

In the bash function below if the user selets "y" then the menu function is called and if they select "n" the move function is called. That all seems to work, my question is after the files are moved an echo, line in bold is displayed and another function called backup is called. I am getting a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)