Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Syntax error in subtraction in Bash Post 303040005 by ngabrani on Monday 21st of October 2019 12:50:50 PM
Old 10-21-2019
Syntax error in subtraction in Bash

I am sharing a code snippet.
Code:
for (( i=0; i<=$(( $count -1 )); i++ ))
do

first=${barr2[$i]}
	search=${barr1[$i]}
        echo $first
	echo "loop begins"
	for (( j=0; j<=5000; j++ ))
	do
		if [[ ${harr1[j]} == $search ]]; then
			echo $j
			break;
		fi

done
	second=${harr2[$j]}	
	echo $second

diff=$((second-first))
	echo "diff" 
	echo $diff
done

I am getting a syntax error in line of subtraction that says something like:
syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error token is ".0985146")

This is the line that gives error.
Code:
	diff=$((second-first))

Appreciate your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script syntax error

I'm trying to write a simple script that takes all the .tar.gz files in a directory and verifies them by using the gzip -tv command: for zip in *.tar.gz do gzip -tv $zip if ; then #Check return code from tar echo "File ${zip} verified OK." exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtraction in bash arrays

hi i am using bash shell to perform some subraction. here is what i have: i have a while loop and am using i as a counter. diff= `expr ${ARRAY1} - ${ARRAY2}` for example array1 has -0.7145 and array2 has -0.7041. when i try the above command, i get expr: non-numeric argument. any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash syntax error: command not found

I am trying to create a shell that asks the user to enter their name, and compare it to my own by saying we have the same name or saying my name and that they have a nice name too. Here is my script... #!/bin/bash-x echo "Enter your name". read name if then echo "My name is Adam too"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amaxey45
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax error

while read line do mkdir $line scp -r Docking_results/docking_$line.pdb $line/ cd /$line/ set a=`grep ENDMDL docking_'$line'.pdb | wc -l` set b=`expr $a - 2` csplit -k -s -n 3 -f docking_'$line'. docking'$line'.pdb '/^ENDMDL/+1' '{'$b'}' foreach f (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to pass a password: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

howdy, so I'm make a plugin work for Nagios, and the commandline is: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_mssql -H MySQLServerName -u MySqlAccountName -p MyPassword(#XXXXX -d MyDatabaseName it is barfing with: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' Thoughts? Do I have to wrap something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgouette
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

// AIX 6.1 I am getting a syntax error below. Please advise what to be corrected. :confused: runmqsc CERN.$(echo `hostname` | cut -d'.' -f1 | tr '' '').$(echo $environment | tr '' '') <<! | egrep -i '(FROM.NC.APPLIANCE)' | sort -u |awk '{print $2}' | cut -d '(' -f2 | cut -d ')' -f1 |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Bash algorithm with sum/subtraction

Hi all, i'm making some test on a data file. Imagine i have two columns inside it : 80377,20 80377,20 80379,19 80378,20 80380,20 80382,20 80381,21 Just to understand how can it works, imagine to subtract 100 to the number in the first column when the other one in the second... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function using variable in it syntax error

The below bash function uses multiple variables CODING, SAMPLE, SURVEY, andvariant in it. The user selects the cap function and details are displayed on the screen using the $SURVEY variable, the directory is changed to $SAMPLE and the samples.txt is opened so the user can select the sample to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash calling a few functions syntax error

In the bash function below if the user selets "y" then the menu function is called and if they select "n" the move function is called. That all seems to work, my question is after the files are moved an echo, line in bold is displayed and another function called backup is called. I am getting a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies
Text::Context(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Text::Context(3pm)

NAME
Text::Context - Handle highlighting search result context snippets SYNOPSIS
use Text::Context; my $snippet = Text::Context->new($text, @keywords); $snippet->keywords("foo", "bar"); # In case you change your mind print $snippet->as_html; print $snippet->as_text; DESCRIPTION
Given a piece of text and some search terms, produces an object which locates the search terms in the message, extracts a reasonable-length string containing all the search terms, and optionally dumps the string out as HTML text with the search terms highlighted in bold. new Creates a new snippet object for holding and formatting context for search terms. keywords Accessor method to get/set keywords. As the context search is done case-insensitively, the keywords will be lower-cased. paras @paras = $self->paras($maxlen) Return shortened paragraphs to fit together into a snippet of at most $maxlen characters. as_text Calculates a "representative" string which contains the given search terms. If there's lots and lots of context between the terms, it's replaced with an ellipsis. as_html([ start => "<some tag>", end => "<some end tag>" ]) Markup the snippet as a HTML string using the specified delimiters or with a default set of delimiters ("<span class="quoted">"). AUTHOR
Original author: Simon Cozens Current maintainer: Tony Bowden BUGS and QUERIES Please direct all correspondence regarding this module to: bug-Text-Context@rt.cpan.org COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 Kasei This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. perl v5.10.1 2009-07-23 Text::Context(3pm)