Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Syntax error in subtraction in Bash Post 303040005 by ngabrani on Monday 21st of October 2019 12:50:50 PM
Old 10-21-2019
Syntax error in subtraction in Bash

I am sharing a code snippet.
Code:
for (( i=0; i<=$(( $count -1 )); i++ ))
do

first=${barr2[$i]}
	search=${barr1[$i]}
        echo $first
	echo "loop begins"
	for (( j=0; j<=5000; j++ ))
	do
		if [[ ${harr1[j]} == $search ]]; then
			echo $j
			break;
		fi

done
	second=${harr2[$j]}	
	echo $second

diff=$((second-first))
	echo "diff" 
	echo $diff
done

I am getting a syntax error in line of subtraction that says something like:
syntax error: invalid arithmetic operator (error token is ".0985146")

This is the line that gives error.
Code:
	diff=$((second-first))

Appreciate your help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script syntax error

I'm trying to write a simple script that takes all the .tar.gz files in a directory and verifies them by using the gzip -tv command: for zip in *.tar.gz do gzip -tv $zip if ; then #Check return code from tar echo "File ${zip} verified OK." exit... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kelldan
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

subtraction in bash arrays

hi i am using bash shell to perform some subraction. here is what i have: i have a while loop and am using i as a counter. diff= `expr ${ARRAY1} - ${ARRAY2}` for example array1 has -0.7145 and array2 has -0.7041. when i try the above command, i get expr: non-numeric argument. any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash syntax error: command not found

I am trying to create a shell that asks the user to enter their name, and compare it to my own by saying we have the same name or saying my name and that they have a nice name too. Here is my script... #!/bin/bash-x echo "Enter your name". read name if then echo "My name is Adam too"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amaxey45
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash syntax error

while read line do mkdir $line scp -r Docking_results/docking_$line.pdb $line/ cd /$line/ set a=`grep ENDMDL docking_'$line'.pdb | wc -l` set b=`expr $a - 2` csplit -k -s -n 3 -f docking_'$line'. docking'$line'.pdb '/^ENDMDL/+1' '{'$b'}' foreach f (... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisjorg
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to pass a password: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

howdy, so I'm make a plugin work for Nagios, and the commandline is: /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_mssql -H MySQLServerName -u MySqlAccountName -p MyPassword(#XXXXX -d MyDatabaseName it is barfing with: bash: syntax error near unexpected token `(' Thoughts? Do I have to wrap something... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgouette
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

// AIX 6.1 I am getting a syntax error below. Please advise what to be corrected. :confused: runmqsc CERN.$(echo `hostname` | cut -d'.' -f1 | tr '' '').$(echo $environment | tr '' '') <<! | egrep -i '(FROM.NC.APPLIANCE)' | sort -u |awk '{print $2}' | cut -d '(' -f2 | cut -d ')' -f1 |... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic Bash algorithm with sum/subtraction

Hi all, i'm making some test on a data file. Imagine i have two columns inside it : 80377,20 80377,20 80379,19 80378,20 80380,20 80382,20 80381,21 Just to understand how can it works, imagine to subtract 100 to the number in the first column when the other one in the second... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Board27
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash function using variable in it syntax error

The below bash function uses multiple variables CODING, SAMPLE, SURVEY, andvariant in it. The user selects the cap function and details are displayed on the screen using the $SURVEY variable, the directory is changed to $SAMPLE and the samples.txt is opened so the user can select the sample to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash calling a few functions syntax error

In the bash function below if the user selets "y" then the menu function is called and if they select "n" the move function is called. That all seems to work, my question is after the files are moved an echo, line in bold is displayed and another function called backup is called. I am getting a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

10. BSD

Keep getting error "-bash: ./.profile_z2: line 52: syntax error: unexpected end of file"

#!/bin/bash #-------------------------------------------------------- # Setup prompt # Author Zeeshan Mirza # Data: 06-08-2017 #-------------------------------------------------------- if then . ./.profile_custom_pre fi umask 022 set -o vi export EDITOR=vi export VISUAL=vi... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: getzeeshan
3 Replies
GNULIB-TOOL(1)						      GNU Portability Library						    GNULIB-TOOL(1)

NAME
gnulib-tool - program for authors or maintainers which want to import modules from gnulib into their packages. SYNOPSIS
gnulib-tool --list gnulib-tool --import [module1 ... moduleN] gnulib-tool --update gnulib-tool --create-testdir --dir=directory module1 ... moduleN gnulib-tool --create-megatestdir --dir=directory [module1 ... moduleN] gnulib-tool --test --dir=directory module1 ... moduleN gnulib-tool --megatest --dir=directory [module1 ... moduleN] gnulib-tool --extract-description module gnulib-tool --extract-filelist module gnulib-tool --extract-dependencies module gnulib-tool --extract-autoconf-snippet module gnulib-tool --extract-automake-snippet module gnulib-tool --extract-include-directive module gnulib-tool --extract-license module gnulib-tool --extract-maintainer module gnulib-tool --extract-tests-module module DESCRIPTION
The GNU portability library is a macro system and C declarations and definitions for commonly-used API elements and abstracted system behaviors. It can be used to improve portability and other functionality in your programs. OPTIONS
Operation modes: --list print the available module names. --import import the given modules into the current package; if no modules are specified, update the current package from the current gnulib. --update update the current package, restore files omitted from CVS. --create-testdir create a scratch package with the given modules. --create-megatestdir create a mega scratch package with the given modules one by one and all together. --test test the combination of the given modules (recommended to use CC="gcc -Wall" here). --megatest test the given modules one by one and all together (recommended to use CC="gcc -Wall" here). --extract-description extract the description. --extract-filelist extract the list of files. --extract-dependencies extract the dependencies. --extract-autoconf-snippet extract the snippet for configure.ac. --extract-automake-snippet extract the snippet for lib/Makefile.am. --extract-include-directive extract the #include directive. --extract-license report the license terms of the source files under lib/. --extract-maintainer report the maintainer(s) inside gnulib. --extract-tests-module report the unit test module, if it exists. Options: --dir=DIRECTORY specify the target directory. For --import, this specifies where your configure.ac can be found. Defaults to current directory. --lib=LIBRARY Specify the library name. Defaults to 'libgnu'. --source-base=DIRECTORY Directory relative --dir where source code is placed (default "lib"), for --import. --m4-base=DIRECTORY Directory relative --dir where *.m4 macros are placed (default "m4"), for --import. --tests-base=DIRECTORY Directory relative --dir where unit tests are placed (default "tests"), for --import. --aux-dir=DIRECTORY Directory relative --dir where auxiliary build tools are placed (default "build-aux"). --with-tests Include unit tests for the included modules. --avoid=MODULE Avoid including the given MODULE. Useful if you have code that provides equivalent functionality. This option can be repeated. --lgpl Abort if modules aren't available under the LGPL. Also modify license template from GPL to LGPL. --libtool Use libtool rules, for --import. --macro-prefix=PREFIX Specify the prefix of the macros 'gl_EARLY' and 'gl_INIT'. Default is 'gl'. --no-changelog don't update or create ChangeLog files. --dry-run For --import, only print what would have been done. -s, --symbolic, --symlink Make symbolic links instead of copying files. -h, --help Show summary of options. BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnulib@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
check-module(1). AUTHOR
gnulib was written by the Free Software Foundation and others (sources of various origins). This manual page was written by Daniel Baumann <daniel@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). 0.0.20060601 2006-06-01 GNULIB-TOOL(1)