Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Script to find file types and info Post 303039873 by spacegoose on Wednesday 16th of October 2019 05:25:47 PM
Old 10-16-2019
Script to find file types and info

I'm looking for a way to inventory files on a webserver into a CSV file, and am particularly interested in certain types of files, like .php, .cgi, .pl, .py, .sh, etc. but also want the ability to find all files, including those with no extension, or specified extensions, as above, including files that have spaces or unusual characters or line returns in their names.

I saw the post here:

File Inventory Scan

which had a script that mostly worked and provided good info about the files it found, but couldn't handle files with spaces in their names (last column printed "cannot open: No such file or directory").

Ideally this script would also have columns for file user/group ownership, permissions, access, create and modification times, human readable file size, etc.

I'm on a Solaris 11 machine. I may have the ability to install packages if required.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find directory with 2 types of files

Trying to use the find command to find any directory which contains a file ending in .zip AND a file ending in .o I'm having trouble specifying multiple files as criteria and have can't seem to figure it out from Unix in a Nutshell and Google. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find multiple file types and tar

There are these ksh files and config files that are written and updated on a daily basis. All I want to do is write a script that finds both these types of files and archive them on a daily basis, to help in restoring in times of system outages and so on. Particulary I'm interested in .ksh ,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: manthasirisha
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to write a script to loop through a port info file

Below is part of a script i have written to loop through part of a port info file. How do i continue the script to get info for OS Device Name, manufacturer and then put information into an array? HBA Port WWN: 10000000c9420b4b OS Device Name: /dev/cfg/c10 Manufacturer: Emulex... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcon1
5 Replies

4. Linux

Simplified find command to find multiple file types

Hi, I'm using the following command to find the multiple requierd file types and its working fine find . -name "*.pl" -o -name "*.pm" -o -name "*.sql" -o -name "*.so" -o -name "*.sh" -o -name "*.java" -o -name "*.class" -o -name "*.jar" -o -name "*.gz" -o -name "*.Z" -type f Though... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickramshetty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to pass multiple file types search pattern as argument to find?

How can I pass $var_find variable as argment to find command? test.sh var_find=' \( -name "*.xml" -o -name "*.jsp" \) ' echo "${var_find}" find . -type f ${var_find} -print # Below statement works fine.. I want to replace this with the above.. #find . \( -name "*.xml" -o -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to find the partition types in linux

How do we find the partition type in Linux? df -T will give me the mounted partition types like ufs, ext3 etc. How do I find out for say a newly added disk to the system? Please advise... Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lubu
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: find multiple types[solved]

Hi, I would like to use find to search for multiple types. For example search for symlink and regular file but not directories, sockets etc.... Something like: find . -type l,f -name "stuff" But of course it does not work. Is there any way to avoid an if statement and to do it faster? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to loop line in a file and add info or do echo

I have a record.txt it will update weekly, and it could be 2 lines or more ... it just echo each line to the script san jose,23.34% tampa,2.15% dallas,30.20% seattle,44.29% Unknown,16.72% How do i write a shell script to give me a test.pl or bash file which contain #!/home/perl... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sabercats
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using a single "find" cmd to search for multiple file types and output individual files

Hi All, I am new here but I have a scripting question that I can't seem to figure out with the "find" cmd. What I am trying to do is to only have to run a single find cmd parsing the directories and output the different file types to induvidual files and I have been running into problems.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: swaters
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Backup script with selective file types only

i am looking for a backup script to be run in ssh which can move all *.php files only to a archive Eg. a folder has 5 sub folders with different file types, which can be mix of PDF, jpeg, gif etc etc. but the archive generated should only include the *.php files without breaking the directory... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netatma
3 Replies
updmv(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  updmv(8)

NAME
updmv - Moves customized, user, and inventory data files to or from storage. SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/updmv -i location /usr/bin/updmv -o location OPTIONS
Copies the Customized File Inventory (CFI) and User File Inventory (UFI) files and those files listed in these inventory files from the specified location to the /var/adm/install/update directory. Copies the CFI and UFI files and those files listed in the inventory files to the specified location. OPERANDS
Specifies the storage area of the files. This area can be a tape device, disk device, or a Remote Installation Services (RIS) server area. You replace the location operand with the name of the tape or disk device, or the server name for a RIS server area. For tape stor- age, you must use a no-rewind tape device such as /dev/ntape/tape0_d0. For disk storage, specify the complete directory path. For storage in a RIS server area, you must register the client in the server's RIS database. When you specify the server, the server name must be followed by a colon (:). DESCRIPTION
The updmv utility moves files listed in the User File Inventory (UFI) file and the Customized File Inventory (CFI) file to or from storage. The UFI file, created by the genufi utility, identifies user files created after you installed the operating system. The CFI file, created by the invsync utility, identifies files that were customized after the installation. You must have superuser privileges to run the updmv utility. During a new installation, some user files and customized files can be overwritten. You can identify and save files from the current installation environment for later integration into the new installation environment. Use the updmv utility to move these files to a stor- age area or from the storage area to the update area. To store the files listed in the CFI and UFI files, invoke the updmv utility with the -o option followed by the location operand. The sys- tem must be shut down to single-user mode before you specify the updmv utility with the -o option. To make these files accessible for integration into a new installation environment, invoke the updmv utility with the -i option followed by the location operand. The updmv utility moves the listed files to the /var/adm/install/update directory so that they can be merged into the new installation environment with the updmerge utility. EXAMPLES
Save the files to a tape device: # updmv -o /dev/ntape/tape0_d0 You must use a no-rewind tape device. Store the files on a disk device: # updmv -o /mnt/mydata Store the files in a RIS server area: # updmv -o midvale: To restore these files, replace the -o option with the -i option. Restore the files that were stored in a RIS server area: # updmv -i midvale: The restored image resides in /var/adm/install/update. RESTRICTIONS
You must have superuser privileges to run the updmv utility. The system must be in single-user mode before you invoke the updmv utility with the -o option. FILES
Customized File Inventory User File Inventory SEE ALSO
genufi(8), invsync(8), updmerge(8) updmv(8)