Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Listing, with a Twist?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Listing, with a Twist? Post 303039861 by LinQ on Wednesday 16th of October 2019 01:25:27 PM
Old 10-16-2019
Thank you again, RudiC! That'll hunt Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I log into this machine - with a twist...

I know this topic has been covered in one form or another, but it hasn't been covered to handle my problem. I was given a Sparc4 running Solaris 2.5.1 The root password is unknown. This machine has no cdrom drive and it has no floppy drive. I tried booting into the single user mode, but... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xyyz
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Recursive directory listing without listing files

Does any one know how to get a recursive directory listing in long format (showing owner, group, permission etc) without listing the files contained in the directories. The following command also shows the files but I only want to see the directories. ls -lrtR * (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: psingh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files yet again but with a twist

Ok so I have a file which contains 2 columns/fields and I have another file with 2 columns. The files look like: file1: 1 33 5 345 18 2 45 1 78 31 file2: 1 c1d2t0 2 c1d3t0 3 c1d4t0 4 c1d4t0 5 c2d1t0 6 c2d1t0 7 c2d1t0 8 c2d1t0 9 c2d1t0 10 c2d1t0 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Autumn Tree
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

building a kernel (with a twist)

Hey all, I am working on a static analysis tool and I wan't to see if it can find bugs in the linux kernel, it uses LLVM framework to analyse the instructions. Long story short I need to build the kernel with a custom compiler. The compiler will create byte code files where binaries usually... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigga15
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file count with a twist

Hello Everyone, I am using the korn shell. I was hoping to find a set of commands to count files in a directory. I am using: ls /home/name/abc* | wc -l This command works fine when a file matches abc* (returns only the file count) , however when no file(s) are found I get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robert4732
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incrementing with a twist - please help

I'm currently trying to write a ksh or csh script that would change the name of a file found in directories and attach to the name an incrementing three digit number. I know how to write a script that will go: 000, 001, 002, 003, etc The twist is I need more increments then allowed by a 3... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rust
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple two file compare with twist

I have file1 and file2 I lookup field3 from file2 in field1 of file1 and if there is a match, output field 2,3,5 from file2. I now want to add field2 of file1 in the output. I suspect what I have to do is read the entire line of file1 into a 2 dim array? pls help. here is my code: ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack.bauer
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] How to remove listing of current user cmd from ps -ef listing?

Hi All, Could you please help to resolve my following issues: Problem Description: Suppose my user name is "MI90". i.e. $USER = MI90 when i run below command, i get all the processes running on the system containing name MQ. ps -ef | grep MQ But sometimes it lists... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: KDMishra
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple File renaming with a twist

Hi I can do simple file renaming but this task is slightly more troublesome Ive got a guy that gives me multiple .pdf filles in a directory named something like 3412345.pdf 4565465.pdf 8534534.pdf And he also gives me a html file which is tabled with which shows the filenames above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: messiah1
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple two file compare with twist

I have file1 and file2 I lookup field3 from file2 in field1 of file1 and if there is a match, output field 2,3,5 from file2. I now want to add field2 of file1 in the output. I suspect what I have to do is read the entire line of file1 into a 2 dim array? pls help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmonk1
1 Replies
HUNTD(6)							 BSD Games Manual							  HUNTD(6)

NAME
huntd -- hunt daemon, back-end for hunt game SYNOPSIS
huntd [-s] [-p port] DESCRIPTION
huntd controls the multi-player hunt(6) game. When it starts up, it tries to notify all members of the hunt-players mailing list (see sendmail(8)) by faking a talk(1) request from user ``Hunt Game''. The -s option is for running huntd forever (server mode). This is similar to running it under the control of inetd(8) (see below), but it consumes a process table entry when no one is playing. The -p option changes the UDP port number used to rendezvous with the player process and thus allows for private games of hunt. This option turns off the notification of players on the hunt-players mailing list. INETD To run huntd from inetd(8), you'll need to put the hunt service in /etc/services: hunt 26740/udp # multi-player/multi-host mazewars and add the following line to /etc/inetd.conf: hunt dgram udp wait nobody /usr/sbin/huntd huntd Do not use any of the command line options; if you want inetd(8) to start up huntd on a private port, change the port listed for hunt in /etc/services. NETWORK RENDEZVOUS
When hunt(6) starts up, it broadcasts on the local area net (using the broadcast address for each interface) to find a hunt game in progress. If a huntd hears the request, it sends back the port number for the hunt process to connect to. Otherwise, the hunt process starts up a huntd on the local machine and tries to rendezvous with it. SEE ALSO
talk(1), hunt(6), sendmail(8) AUTHORS
Conrad Huang, Ken Arnold, and Greg Couch; University of California, San Francisco, Computer Graphics Lab April 4, 2001