Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash to rename portion of file using match to another Post 303039751 by cmccabe on Monday 14th of October 2019 04:02:32 PM
Old 10-14-2019
Bash to rename portion of file using match to another

In the portion of bash below I am using rename to match the $id variable to $file and when a match (there will alwsys be one) is found then the $id is removed from each bam and bam.bai in $file and _test is added to thee file name before the extension. Each of the variables is set correctly but rename is not working. Thank you Smilie.

Code:
if ! [[ " ${id[*]} " == *\ $file\ * ]]
      then
          for id in $file ; do
           cd "$dir"
           rename s/"IonCode_[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]_"/""/g "$id"_test.bam      ## use perl rename to remove barcode and insert $id_test
           rename s/"IonCode_[0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9]_"/""/g "$id"_test.bam.bai  ## use perl rename to remove barcode and insert $id_test
           done
             break
          end
      fi

$id

Code:
IonCode_0404 00-0000-xxx-xxx-xxx IonCode_0402 11-1111-yy-yy-yyy

$file
Code:
IonCode_0402_xxx.xxx_xxx.bam
IonCode_0402_xxx.xxx_xxx.bam.bai
IonCode_0404_xxx.xxx_xxx.bam
IonCode_0404_xxx.xxx_xxx.bam.bai

desired in $dir
Code:
11-1111-yy-yy-yyy_test.bam
11-1111-yy-yy-yyy_test.bam.bai
00-0000-xxx-xxx-xxx_test.bam
00-0000-xxx-xxx-xxx_test.bam.bai

Last edited by cmccabe; 10-15-2019 at 07:28 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match portion of the filename

hi, I have a script which accept filename and process them, however, one of the file needs 'special' handling so I need to identify it, say the filename contains the word "STOCK" (i.e. NEWYORKSTOCKLIST20060627.txt), I want to check if the filename contains the word "STOCK", how can I do that?... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mpang_
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename portion of file based on another file

Hello, I've been searching and reading, but I can't figure out how to solve this problem with my newbie skills. In my directory, I have a list of files (see dirlist.txt attachment) that I need to merge and rename. I have part of the code of the code figured out (see below). However, I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjulka
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH function to rename file to last mondays date

I'm trying to create a bash function that will allow me to rename a file name emails.txt to last monday's date renem () { d=`date -d last-monday` mv ~/emails.txt ~/myemails/$d } but i en up wit this error any suggestion mv: target `2014' is not a directory (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: robshal
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename files to match file list pattern

Hi All, I have 100 folders with the first delimiter has a unique name i.e (123_hello and 575_hello) and each folder have atlist 1000 plus files with naming convention i.e (575_hello_1.iso ... 575_hello_1000.iso). 575_hello/575_hello_1.iso 575_hello/575_hello_2.iso 575_hello/575_hello_3.iso... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: lxdorney
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to rename file after second occurence of underscore

I am trying to use bash to remove the text in all filenames after the second _ in specific files that end in .bam or .vcf. However the bash errors looking for the files in the directory. Thank you :). files in directory ... (4 Replies)
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to copy file 3 times and rename based on another file

In the below bash I am trying to copy the only text file (always only one) in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/list/QC/metrics.txt and rename each of the 3 text files according to /home/cmccabe/Desktop/test/list.txt using lines 3, 4 ,5. This format (that is list.txt) is always 5 lines. Thank you :). ... (12 Replies)
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to add portion of text to files in directory using numerical match

In the below bash I am trying to rename eachof the 3 text files in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/percent by matching the numerical portion of each file to lines 3,4, or 5 in /home/cmccabe/Desktop/analysis.txt. There will always be a match between the files. When a match is found each text file in... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename file using partial match to another

In the below I am trying to rename the contents within each data subfolder in a specific run, based on a partial match of the IonCode_0000_ in each file in the data subdirectory to $1 in f1. There will be multiple runs in f1 but each run in $uniq is unique and will be found in f1 and the rename... (27 Replies)
27 Replies