Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and Recovery
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Backup and Recovery Post 303039714 by hicksd8 on Sunday 13th of October 2019 07:45:42 AM
Old 10-13-2019
It really doesn't matter that you are a "newbie". Forum rules state that technical discussions are kept on the forum and not off-line. Feel free to ask whatever you like, it will help future readers with the same problem.

The point about your question is this. If you want to do any incremental backup then you must have put down a timestamp on a full backup to know what your increment is. Yes, you can use a backup package to do that which will store such a timestamp under the radar automatically, or you can do it yourself (as I described in my post above) where you can see that timestamp.

Please place your further questions on this thread.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup recovery

i have taken a backup using cpio command. Now i want to retrieve the contents. Replies appreciated. raguram (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
2 Replies

2. AIX

TSM backup and recovery problem

When I use tsm command: archive -subdir=yes /dir1/ to backup file system: /dir1 After I delete the contents under /dir1 and recovery it from TSM backup, retrieve /dir1/ I found the link breaked. Such as: Before: ls -l lrwxrwxrwx 1 abc develop 8 Apr 28 16:04 bin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. Linux

Q: Backup and recovery in major corporations?

Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post. As i'm not too sure where this question would go. The question is: How is backup and recovery carried out in major corporations. Even if you are not in a major corporation an answer would be great. I'm doing some research as to how it's carried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup and recovery options

Hi, Do we have any options in rsync to recover files from the backup? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat backup/recovery

Can you please let me know a clear step by step procedure link/doc for an effective full backup and recovery procedure for a Redhat server with 2.6.34.9-69.fc13.x86_64 ? Thanks in advance. I also have the same question for Ubuntu Enterprise 12.04 if you would ... thanks again (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
0 Replies
RDIFF-BACKUP-FS(1)					      General Commands Manual						RDIFF-BACKUP-FS(1)

NAME
rdiff-backup-fs - Filesystem for accessing rdiff-backup archives. SYNOPSIS
rdiff-backup-fs <mount_point> <repository> [repositories ...] [-option ...] DESCRIPTION
rdiff-backup-fs is a filesystem in userspace that reads rdiff-backup archives and provides convenient access. OPTIONS
--debug <0-4> Run rdiff-backup-fs in foreground with given verbosity of debug messages. -f, --full Store information about all revisions in memory. CAUTION: this may take a lot of memory if your archive contains many revisions. -l, --last Displays files from the most recent increment as directories, each holding every version of the file. CAUTION: this stores informa- tion about all revisions in memory and therefore may take a lot of memory if archive contains many revisions. -c <n>, --caching <n> How many files retrieved from the rdiff-backup archive may be cached by filesystem. By default rdiff-backup-fs will cache up to 10 files. If this switch is set to 0, no caching will be done. -r <n>, --revisions <n> How many revisions should be stored in memory for on demand revision retrieval. By default rdiff-backup-fs will store up to 10 revi- sions in memory. -d, --directory <path> Set directory for directory with temporary files. By default rdiff-backup-fs uses /tmp. -v, --version Print version of rdiff-backup-fs and exit. SEE ALSO
rdiff-backup(1) COPYRIGHT
rdiff-backup-fs is Copyright (c) 2007-2011 Filip Gruszczyski. rdiff-backup-fs is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>. AUTHORS
Filip Gruszczyski <gruszczy@gmail.com> RDIFF-BACKUP-FS(1)