Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and Recovery
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Backup and Recovery Post 303039709 by Neo on Saturday 12th of October 2019 09:41:20 PM
Old 10-12-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer2002
Is it possible to take incremental backup in Linux using tar command?
Please guide me.

Suppose I have a directory /data.
And want incremental backup.
What will be the incremental "tar" command syntax?
Linux already has many good backup systems which uses some variations of tar (or rsync and tar) and is executed from cron.

Why not use that one of those and not reinvent the wheel?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup recovery

i have taken a backup using cpio command. Now i want to retrieve the contents. Replies appreciated. raguram (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
2 Replies

2. AIX

TSM backup and recovery problem

When I use tsm command: archive -subdir=yes /dir1/ to backup file system: /dir1 After I delete the contents under /dir1 and recovery it from TSM backup, retrieve /dir1/ I found the link breaked. Such as: Before: ls -l lrwxrwxrwx 1 abc develop 8 Apr 28 16:04 bin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. Linux

Q: Backup and recovery in major corporations?

Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post. As i'm not too sure where this question would go. The question is: How is backup and recovery carried out in major corporations. Even if you are not in a major corporation an answer would be great. I'm doing some research as to how it's carried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup and recovery options

Hi, Do we have any options in rsync to recover files from the backup? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat backup/recovery

Can you please let me know a clear step by step procedure link/doc for an effective full backup and recovery procedure for a Redhat server with 2.6.34.9-69.fc13.x86_64 ? Thanks in advance. I also have the same question for Ubuntu Enterprise 12.04 if you would ... thanks again (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
0 Replies
BARRYBACKUP(1)						      General Commands Manual						    BARRYBACKUP(1)

NAME
barrybackup - Barry Project's backup program for the BlackBerry handheld SYNOPSIS
barrybackup [-?][-d] DESCRIPTION
barrybackup is a GUI application for backing up and restoring Blackberry handheld databases. The application allows for filtering of databases for both backup and restore, so not all databases need to be backed up at once, nor all restored. Backups and configuration files are stored by default in the user's home directory, under ~/.barry/backup/PIN. This destination can be changed in the config dialogs, per device. The backup files are compressed tarballs containing specially named files for each record of the databases. OPTIONS
-d --debug-output Enables low level protocol debug output written to stdout/stderr. --display=DISPLAY Specify which X display to use. -? --help Show summary of options. -h, --help Show summary of options. TAR FORMAT
Backups are stored in tar format, compressed with gzip. Backup files are named with the following pattern: PIN-YYYYMMDD-HHMMSS[-tag_name].tar.gz The tag name is optional and is used to name a particular backup. Each record is appended to the tar file using the following pattern for the filename: DBname/RecordID RecordTypeID That is, the database name is used as the directory name, and the filename contains the record ID and record type ID separated by a space. Database names can contain spaces. Record IDs are generally unique, but not all Blackberry devices mandate this, so it is possible, but rare, to have two records in the tar file with the same filename. This is ok. The only problem you'd see is if you expanded such a tar file to a filesystem. The restore process just reads in the filename sequentially and writes them to the device, so duplicate record IDs are not a problem. AUTHOR
barrybackup is part of the Barry project. This manual page was written by Chris Frey. SEE ALSO
http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry July 28, 2009 BARRYBACKUP(1)