Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and Recovery
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Backup and Recovery Post 303039709 by Neo on Saturday 12th of October 2019 09:41:20 PM
Old 10-12-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineer2002
Is it possible to take incremental backup in Linux using tar command?
Please guide me.

Suppose I have a directory /data.
And want incremental backup.
What will be the incremental "tar" command syntax?
Linux already has many good backup systems which uses some variations of tar (or rsync and tar) and is executed from cron.

Why not use that one of those and not reinvent the wheel?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup recovery

i have taken a backup using cpio command. Now i want to retrieve the contents. Replies appreciated. raguram (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
2 Replies

2. AIX

TSM backup and recovery problem

When I use tsm command: archive -subdir=yes /dir1/ to backup file system: /dir1 After I delete the contents under /dir1 and recovery it from TSM backup, retrieve /dir1/ I found the link breaked. Such as: Before: ls -l lrwxrwxrwx 1 abc develop 8 Apr 28 16:04 bin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. Linux

Q: Backup and recovery in major corporations?

Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post. As i'm not too sure where this question would go. The question is: How is backup and recovery carried out in major corporations. Even if you are not in a major corporation an answer would be great. I'm doing some research as to how it's carried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup and recovery options

Hi, Do we have any options in rsync to recover files from the backup? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat backup/recovery

Can you please let me know a clear step by step procedure link/doc for an effective full backup and recovery procedure for a Redhat server with 2.6.34.9-69.fc13.x86_64 ? Thanks in advance. I also have the same question for Ubuntu Enterprise 12.04 if you would ... thanks again (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
0 Replies
BTARCMP(1)						      General Commands Manual							BTARCMP(1)

NAME
btarcmp - a diff for Barry tar backup files SYNOPSIS
btarcmp [-b][-d db][-D db][-h][-I charset][-P][-S][-v] tar0 tar1 DESCRIPTION
btarcmp takes two Barry backup tar files on the command line, and displays the differences it finds between them. If records can be parsed, individual field differences are also displayed. Added and removed records are noted. Differences in database availability are noted as well. If unable to parse the records, hex dumps are used. OPTIONS
-b Use brief filename markers. Useful when tar filenames are extremely long. -d db Name of database to compare. Can be used multiple times to compare multiple databases. If not specified, all databases are com- pared. -D db Name of database to skip. Can be used multiple times. Overrides all other database selection options. -h Show summary of options. -I charset Specifies the iconv charset to use for converting international strings. The Blackberry uses the WINDOWS-1252 charset, which is incompatible with the more common code pages used in Linux. The most useful charset to use with this option is UTF-8, and is highly recommended. Any other charset available via 'iconv --list' can be used here too, but may not be successful for some character con- versions. -S Displays list of known database records, which can be parsed. -v Verbose output, which includes record data of added and deleted records in the output. If used twice, hex data is printed as well. AUTHOR
btarcmp is part of the Barry project. SEE ALSO
http://www.netdirect.ca/barry January 20, 2010 BTARCMP(1)