Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and Recovery
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Backup and Recovery Post 303039702 by hicksd8 on Saturday 12th of October 2019 03:03:51 PM
Old 10-12-2019
Are you going to script this operation?

There are many many ways to do it. No doubt you will get other suggestions.

One way is to create a timestamp file when the full backup is run by adding:

Code:
date>/tmp/timestamp

to the beginning of your full backup script.

(Note: Although the content of timestamp will contain date/time information it is only the inode content that matters here.)

Then, when you want to take an incremental backup you find all files newer (modified after) than that timestamp and backup that list with the "-T" switch:

Code:
find /data -newer /tmp/timestamp  | tar -cvf <incremental archive name> -T -

Check using:

Code:
man tar

that your tar implementation supports -T switch.

Last edited by hicksd8; 10-12-2019 at 06:36 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup recovery

i have taken a backup using cpio command. Now i want to retrieve the contents. Replies appreciated. raguram (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
2 Replies

2. AIX

TSM backup and recovery problem

When I use tsm command: archive -subdir=yes /dir1/ to backup file system: /dir1 After I delete the contents under /dir1 and recovery it from TSM backup, retrieve /dir1/ I found the link breaked. Such as: Before: ls -l lrwxrwxrwx 1 abc develop 8 Apr 28 16:04 bin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. Linux

Q: Backup and recovery in major corporations?

Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post. As i'm not too sure where this question would go. The question is: How is backup and recovery carried out in major corporations. Even if you are not in a major corporation an answer would be great. I'm doing some research as to how it's carried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup and recovery options

Hi, Do we have any options in rsync to recover files from the backup? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat backup/recovery

Can you please let me know a clear step by step procedure link/doc for an effective full backup and recovery procedure for a Redhat server with 2.6.34.9-69.fc13.x86_64 ? Thanks in advance. I also have the same question for Ubuntu Enterprise 12.04 if you would ... thanks again (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
0 Replies
TIME_SLEEP_UNTIL(3)							 1						       TIME_SLEEP_UNTIL(3)

time_sleep_until - Make the script sleep until the specified time

SYNOPSIS
bool time_sleep_until (float $timestamp) DESCRIPTION
Makes the script sleep until the specified $timestamp. PARAMETERS
o $timestamp - The timestamp when the script should wake. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. CHANGELOG
+--------+---------------------------------------------------+ |Version | | | | | | | Description | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ | 5.3.0 | | | | | | | This function is now available on Windows plat- | | | forms. | | | | +--------+---------------------------------------------------+ ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS If the specified $timestamp is in the past, this function will generate a E_WARNING. EXAMPLES
Example #1 A time_sleep_until(3) example <?php //returns false and generates a warning var_dump(time_sleep_until(time()-1)); // may only work on faster computers, will sleep up to 0.2 seconds var_dump(time_sleep_until(microtime(true)+0.2)); ?> NOTES
Note All signals will be delivered after the script wakes up. SEE ALSO
sleep(3), usleep(3), time_nanosleep(3), set_time_limit(3). PHP Documentation Group TIME_SLEEP_UNTIL(3)