Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Backup and Recovery
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Backup and Recovery Post 303039701 by engineer2002 on Saturday 12th of October 2019 01:44:18 PM
Old 10-12-2019
Backup and Recovery

Is it possible to take incremental backup in Linux using tar command?
Please guide me.

Suppose I have a directory /data.
And want incremental backup.
What will be the incremental "tar" command syntax?

Last edited by hicksd8; 10-12-2019 at 03:40 PM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup recovery

i have taken a backup using cpio command. Now i want to retrieve the contents. Replies appreciated. raguram (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raguramtgr
2 Replies

2. AIX

TSM backup and recovery problem

When I use tsm command: archive -subdir=yes /dir1/ to backup file system: /dir1 After I delete the contents under /dir1 and recovery it from TSM backup, retrieve /dir1/ I found the link breaked. Such as: Before: ls -l lrwxrwxrwx 1 abc develop 8 Apr 28 16:04 bin... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
1 Replies

3. Linux

Q: Backup and recovery in major corporations?

Hey guys, I hope this is the right place to post. As i'm not too sure where this question would go. The question is: How is backup and recovery carried out in major corporations. Even if you are not in a major corporation an answer would be great. I'm doing some research as to how it's carried... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LibRid
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup and recovery options

Hi, Do we have any options in rsync to recover files from the backup? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redhat backup/recovery

Can you please let me know a clear step by step procedure link/doc for an effective full backup and recovery procedure for a Redhat server with 2.6.34.9-69.fc13.x86_64 ? Thanks in advance. I also have the same question for Ubuntu Enterprise 12.04 if you would ... thanks again (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
0 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - The GNU version of the tar archiving utility SYNOPSIS
tar [ - ] A --catenate --concatenate | c --create | d --diff --compare | r --append | t --list | u --update | x -extract --get [ --atime- preserve ] [ -b, --block-size N ] [ -B, --read-full-blocks ] [ -C, --directory DIR ] [ --checkpoint ] [ -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F ] [ --force-local ] [ -F, --info-script F --new-volume-script F ] [ -G, --incremental ] [ -g, --listed-incremental F ] [ -h, --dereference ] [ -i, --ignore-zeros ] [ -j, -I, --bzip ] [ --ignore-failed-read ] [ -k, --keep-old-files ] [ -K, --starting-file F ] [ -l, --one-file-sys- tem ] [ -L, --tape-length N ] [ -m, --modification-time ] [ -M, --multi-volume ] [ -N, --after-date DATE, --newer DATE ] [ -o, --old-ar- chive, --portability ] [ -O, --to-stdout ] [ -p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions ] [ -P, --absolute-paths ] [ --preserve ] [ -R, --record-number ] [ --remove-files ] [ -s, --same-order, --preserve-order ] [ --same-owner ] [ -S, --sparse ] [ -T, --files-from=F ] [ --null ] [ --totals ] [ -v, --verbose ] [ -V, --label NAME ] [ --version ] [ -w, --interactive, --confirmation ] [ -W, --verify ] [ --exclude FILE ] [ -X, --exclude-from FILE ] [ -Z, --compress, --uncompress ] [ -z, --gzip, --ungzip ] [ --use-compress-program PROG ] [ --block-compress ] [ -[0-7][lmh] ] filename1 [ filename2, ... filenameN ] directory1 [ directory2, ...directoryN ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the GNU version of tar , an archiving program designed to store and extract files from an archive file known as a tarfile. A tarfile may be made on a tape drive, however, it is also common to write a tarfile to a normal file. The first argument to tar must be one of the options: Acdrtux, followed by any optional functions. The final arguments to tar are the names of the files or directories which should be archived. The use of a directory name always implies that the subdirectories below should be included in the archive. FUNCTION LETTERS
One of the following options must be used: -A, --catenate, --concatenate append tar files to an archive -c, --create create a new archive -d, --diff, --compare find differences between archive and file system --delete delete from the archive (not for use on mag tapes!) -r, --append append files to the end of an archive -t, --list list the contents of an archive -u, --update only append files that are newer than copy in archive -x, --extract, --get extract files from an archive OTHER OPTIONS
--atime-preserve don't change access times on dumped files -b, --block-size N block size of Nx512 bytes (default N=20) -B, --read-full-blocks reblock as we read (for reading 4.2BSD pipes) -C, --directory DIR change to directory DIR --checkpoint print directory names while reading the archive -f, --file [HOSTNAME:]F use archive file or device F (default /dev/rmt0) --force-local archive file is local even if has a colon -F, --info-script F --new-volume-script F run script at end of each tape (implies -M) -G, --incremental create/list/extract old GNU-format incremental backup -g, --listed-incremental F create/list/extract new GNU-format incremental backup -h, --dereference don't dump symlinks; dump the files they point to -i, --ignore-zeros ignore blocks of zeros in archive (normally mean EOF) -j, -I, --bzip filter the archive through bzip2. Note: -I is deprecated and may get a different meaning in the near future. --ignore-failed-read don't exit with non-zero status on unreadable files -k, --keep-old-files keep existing files; don't overwrite them from archive -K, --starting-file F begin at file F in the archive -l, --one-file-system stay in local file system when creating an archive -L, --tape-length N change tapes after writing N*1024 bytes -m, --modification-time don't extract file modified time -M, --multi-volume create/list/extract multi-volume archive -N, --after-date DATE, --newer DATE only store files newer than DATE -o, --old-archive, --portability write a V7 format archive, rather than ANSI format -O, --to-stdout extract files to standard output -p, --same-permissions, --preserve-permissions extract all protection information -P, --absolute-paths don't strip leading `/'s from file names --preserve like -p -s -R, --record-number show record number within archive with each message --remove-files remove files after adding them to the archive -s, --same-order, --preserve-order list of names to extract is sorted to match archive --same-owner create extracted files with the same ownership -S, --sparse handle sparse files efficiently -T, --files-from=F get names to extract or create from file F --null -T reads null-terminated names, disable -C --totals print total bytes written with --create -v, --verbose verbosely list files processed -V, --label NAME create archive with volume name NAME --version print tar program version number -w, --interactive, --confirmation ask for confirmation for every action -W, --verify attempt to verify the archive after writing it --exclude FILE exclude file FILE -X, --exclude-from FILE exclude files listed in FILE -Z, --compress, --uncompress filter the archive through compress -z, --gzip, --ungzip filter the archive through gzip --use-compress-program PROG filter the archive through PROG (which must accept -d) 30 October 2000 TAR(1)