Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX IBM TDS/SDS (LDAP) - can I mix endianness among servers in an instance ? Post 303039611 by maraixadm on Thursday 10th of October 2019 11:16:25 AM
Old 10-10-2019
ibm sez yes it's supported. we'll give it a whirl. will update with highlights.

--- Post updated at 11:16 ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxmaus
well endianness only matters for binary data not text data. If I understand you correctly you want to transfer text data only so that should work fine. If you however need something runnable you would need to run it through a converter and recompile.
ibm suppt said that replication does the same ops on the recipient that were done on the originator to effect the change in the first place. which says to me all the data sent in replication must be text, I'll check that with tcpdump when I get time. I suspect it falls down on binary blobs like image data/video saved in attributes, but we don't have any of those so we don't care. Passwords might be fun too but OTOH those have their own handling including cryptosync, so I expect they're correct.

In general, my reading (is it correct ?) of this is that it's about correct layer6 implementation, and Sun took care of that over 30 years ago with XDR for RPC, later standardized into the notion of network byte order.
Editorial Comment:
so WTF isn't this implemented correctly like everywhere? I know, development resources. IBM was always careful about this up until the bugly edges where they went into the weeds sometimes, but were responsive when bugs were found. Heard from a colleague that another (newer) non-IBM package didn't replicate right cause their flaming binary index wasn't handled right across platforms. Seriously ?

that was cool, I made my own editorial tags and whaddya know, someone had implemented them. who knew... Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP-UX 10.2 servers interoperability with IBM mass storage devices

Does anyone have succesfully interconnected HP-UX 10.2 HP 9000 K370 servers with A6885A HBA's, with an IBM Fastt storage server? I need to replace integrate both platforms. Interoperability matrices from manufacturers do not certified such integration. Thanks for anybody's help. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raltmannr
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is no LDAP unusual for 40+ solaris servers?

I am the new jr admin on a solaris team (2 people). We have over 40 solaris servers (v8 and v9) yet no LDAP to manage it all. Is this unusual? So, if we need to add a new user, we have to add him 40x. Thanks in advance ~R (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abstractrick
1 Replies

3. AIX

IBM Servers Documentation

Hello dear friends, I wanrt to document our servers configuration but have no Idea which softweare should I use for documenting server environment.. maybe anyone can suggest me which software should I use.. thanks in Advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
2 Replies

4. AIX

executable problems with shell script in IBM servers

We have a java stand alone application running currently on sun Solaris system. The java application runs on Jdk 1.4. We are reshooting this java application to new Ibm servers. There are 10 unix scripts for this application. All scripts works well except one shell script, This shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poojagupta
2 Replies

5. AIX

Mix LDAP and LOCAL user on AIX

Hello, I'm currently trying to mix local and LDAP users on an AIX 7.1. I've triied many things. My LDAP Server in on a CentOS - OpenLDAP (which works fine with linux). I'm currently stuck on AIX at how to declare LDAP AND Local users. Here's what i did : /usr/sbin/mksecldap -c -h 'ldap03'... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIX_user_324891
15 Replies
BOS_DELETE(8)						       AFS Command Reference						     BOS_DELETE(8)

NAME
bos_delete - Deletes a server process from the BosConfig file SYNOPSIS
bos delete -server <machine name> -instance <server process name>+ [-cell <cell name>] [-noauth] [-localauth] [-help] bos d -s <machine name> -i <server process name>+ [-c <cell name>] [-n] [-l] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The bos delete command removes the /etc/openafs/BosConfig entry for each process indicated by the -instance argument, on the server machine named by the -server argument. Before issuing this command, issue the bos stop command to stop the process and set its status flag in the BosConfig file to "NotRun". The bos delete command fails with an error message if a process's status flag is "Run". OPTIONS
-server <machine name> Indicates the server machine on which to delete the server process entry from the /etc/openafs/BosConfig file. Identify the machine by IP address or its host name (either fully-qualified or abbreviated unambiguously). For details, see bos(8). -instance <server process name>+ Names each process to delete. Use the name assigned with the -instance argument to the bos create command; process names appear in the output of the bos status command. -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -noauth Assigns the unprivileged identity "anonymous" to the issuer. Do not combine this flag with the -localauth flag. For more details, see bos(8). -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The bos command interpreter presents the ticket to the BOS Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell or -noauth options. For more details, see bos(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. EXAMPLES
The following command removes the buserver, kaserver, ptserver, and vlserver entries from the BosConfig file on "db3.abc.com", a database server machine being decommissioned. % bos delete -server db3.abc.com -instance buserver kaserver ptserver vlserver PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on the machine named by the -server argument, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. The bos delete command cannot be run against servers which are in restricted mode. SEE ALSO
BosConfig(5), KeyFile(5), UserList(5), bos(8), bos_create(8), bos_status(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BOS_DELETE(8)