Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX AIX understanding memory using Post 303039589 by zxmaus on Thursday 10th of October 2019 01:23:19 AM
Old 10-10-2019
well I would like to add that you need to make sure that you always always need to have enough real free memory to support the IOs your system needs to do. If you dont, your system will stop ALL work and starts scanning and freeing up memory pages until there is sufficient free memory available and than restarts processing. If you are very low in free memory and your system had to do this frequently on a box with lots of IO, like a DB box, this is much worse for your performance than if you would run from paging space and it can grind a busy box to a complete halt - a fact that IBM support to this day prefers to completely ignore.
These 3 Users Gave Thanks to zxmaus For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

checking memory in AIX

I am using AIX 5.5 I have researched your site and found a few commands to try to check how much physical memory I have but the ones I found are not working. I was wondering does my system have a different command? I also checked the MAN pages could not find it there. Could somebody help? I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocker40
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding basic of storage in aix

Hi Can some one help to understand the follwoing thing: what is a simple mounting? for examle what the following lines says /dev/hd2 /usr/xxx if I have to install a software in a remote server, how i can use local cdrom to read the installation files from? what about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaya
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

memory size under AIX

Hi, how to know size of physical memory under AIX ? Many thanks. PS : man -k memory man : 0703-310 Fichier man introuvable. uname -a AIX server1 1 5 005202DF4C00 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

4. AIX

AIX Memory used by an Application

Hi, Is there any way to find the Memory allocated to an Application in AIX server (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinivt
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

HP vs AIX Memory

I have 2 boxes one running AIX 5.3 and the other running HP 11.31. Both systems have the same application running but HP seems to be using more memory than AIX by almost double. I have to use 2 different methods because both machines have different backend software to look at memory. What is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kfdalton
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help in understanding AIX

Dear ALL, Where can I get the following information? what will happen exactly when i hit CTRL+C, CTRL+Z, CTRL+X, CTRL+D etc when the AIX terminal hangs...? The reason why I am asking this question is when ever I type a command at the terminal (say "select * from tab" or any command) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Understanding memory config with prtdiag -v

Hi. I have 2 SunFire V490 servers running Solaris 10. We may have to upgrade with more memory on one of them to make it compatible with the other. Here's the one with 12GB of RAM: Memory size: 12288 Megabytes ========================= CPUs =============================================== ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: th1amigo
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help understanding differences between AIX and RHEL

I have started a new job which requires AIX admin skills, which I have, and RHEL skills. Does anyone have a cheat sheet that if I know how to solve the problem in AIX how would I do that in RHEL? I was an IBM pre-sales technical trying to keep sales guys honest - not possible. Any other links to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SpenceSnyder
5 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 6.1 memory tuning

Greetings, i'm wondering if there is a way to determine minimum memory requirement for AIX kernel and OS functions? We use memdetails script from perfpmr package to see actual memory allocation, for example like this: ===========================================================================... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dzodzo
5 Replies

10. AIX

AIX 6.1 error out of memory

i am facing issue in AIX 6.1 when i was running below command i face issued as show attached screenshot cat /audit/bin1 /audit/bin2 /audit/trail | auditpr -t 0 -v -h l,r,R,t,c,p,P |\ awk '/\s*audit object write event detected/ {print ll $6} { ll = $0}' Please use code tags next time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aforabad
1 Replies
lotsfree_pct(5) 						File Formats Manual						   lotsfree_pct(5)

NAME
lotsfree_pct - sets the upper bound before paging daemon starts stealing pages, specified as a percentage of available physical memory VALUES
Default Allowed values Must not be less than (see desfree_pct(5)). DESCRIPTION
is a tunable parameter to set the upper bound before the paging daemon starts stealing pages. It is specified as a percentage of physical memory available after boot. must be a positive integer between 0 and 30 and must be equal to or greater than is the lower bound before paging daemon starts stealing pages (see desfree_pct(5)). The paging daemon in HP-UX acts on a "two hand" model. The daemon runs at least once a second, with one part marking pages of virtual address space as "unused". If the page is referenced before this "aging" hand returns, it will be marked as "used" again. Another section of the daemon, the "steal" hand follows the age hand (the distance between them varies in a well bounded range) and processes pages which are still marked unused, since needed or frequently accessed pages would have a high likelihood of being referenced in the gap between the hands. Exactly how the steal hand treats the pages still marked as unused depends on the comparison of free system physical memory and three pag- ing parameters: and Between and is a periodically re-calculated and, hence, floating threshold known as Thus and are the upper and lower bounds between which moves. is an expression how much the system maintains, in percentage terms (percentage of physical memory available after boot). o If is greater than the system's memory availability is in good shape. The steal hand does nothing as a lot of memory is still available on the system, so there is no need to "steal" a page that might be needed soon. o In the more common case, when is lower than (but higher than the steal hand will begin to steal pages that have remained unreferenced from when the age hand last marked them. "Stealing" a page refers to the process of freeing the page from being allocated for a partic- ular virtual page and making it available for general allocation again. If falls below but still is more than memory availability is still in reasonable shape, but the paging daemon begins stealing pages more aggressively, including putting lower-priority processes to sleep to free up their memory. o When is less than memory availability is getting more critical; and the paging daemon begins deactivating low-priority processes, in other words, swapping out pages to the swap device. Since the exact memory topography varies widely across supported platforms, these three boundary values are tunable to allow for cases where the default values are insufficient, or where the system administrator requires more control over the actions of the paging daemon. In general, however, the automatic calculation performed by default should suffice for most systems. is a system calculated value. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone with super-user privileges. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect immediately. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? The tunable should only be raised if an administrator feels that the current value provides insufficient free physical memory required by a short lived but critical process. Increasing (and hence to an amout equal to or greater than the amount of physical memory required by this process allows the swapper to move out less frequently used pages from longer running programs, increasing the probability of having the desired amount of memory on hand without waiting for to drop below or during the execution of this critical process. Unless the current is set very low, raising for a process that is not short lived is fairly pointless as will almost certainly drop below and more likely even below thus waking up the swapper and allowing for the physical memory to be freed up over the longer running time as the process requires it. What are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? The swap daemon will begin to steal less-frequently accessed pages from running processes. If large amounts of physical memory is already available without the above situation, this will only slow the already running processes if they need to swap back in their stolen pages. Large amounts of free physical memory without short-lived processes that need it (as mentioned above) is simply a waste. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? The tunable should be lowered on systems where swapping is occurring that still have more physical memory available than is needed on aver- age, and that have no sudden sharp peaks in memory usage. What are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? System swap will occur at a lower memory level. If is set too low (keeping in mind that can never be greater than the system might stall due to memory starvation upon new allocation even though swap space is available. The stall would not be fatal, as the swap daemon run eventually, but will certainly hamper performance. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? should be considered when modifying since Attempting to set above is meaningless and will result in an error. Notes Starting with HP-UX 11iv2, HP recommends the use of to specify the upper bound for the paging daemon. ERROR VALUES
Memory resource management infrastructure is busy. Please try later. Attempting to set above An invalid value is entered that is not an integer between 0 and 30, such as an negative number. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
desfree_pct(5). Tunable Kernel Parameters lotsfree_pct(5)