Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [python] merge pdf files.
Top Forums Programming [python] merge pdf files. Post 303039514 by SaltCityScripts on Tuesday 8th of October 2019 04:47:23 PM
Old 10-08-2019
[python] merge pdf files.

First off I am very new to python but not to scripting I have done a lot of bash scripting.

I need to create a python script for work that will combine multiple pdf files into one pdf file and archive both the combined file and the original pdf files.

So we receive zip files from a client (the file name will either begin with a number #########.zip or MU3-#######-#.zip) and I need to unzip the zip file and use the file name as the name of the combined file.

example
MU3-6493489-1.zip

when I unzip this file I have the following pdf files.:
MU3-6493489-1_006493489-001_ARINV.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_3461.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_7501.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI_2.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI_3.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI_4.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI_5.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI.pdf

I need to combine all of these pdf file into a new file called MU3-6493489-1_combined.pdf

I did find a script online that has the basic stuff but it will not work for my needs.

Code:
#pdf_merger.py

import glob
from PyPDF2 import PdfFileMerger

def merger(output_path, imput_paths):
    pdf_merger = PdfFileMerger()
    file_handles = []

for path in input_paths:
        pdf_merger.append(path)

with open(ouput_path, 'wb') as fileobj:
        pdf_merger.write(fileobj)

if _name_ == '_main_':
    paths = glob.glob('MU3_*.pdf')
    paths.sort()
    merger('pdf_merger2.pdf', paths)

This is not my coding and I am not attached to it in anyway. I know I will have to make a lot of changes to get that to work.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to do this I would be forever thankful and so would my work.

--- Post updated at 08:47 PM ---

on a side note: this can be in either perl or python. I just thought python would be better to learn.

I was not able to edit my original post.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Scipy Python/ get pdf

Hi all I'm just starting usign scipy with python, really powerfull. It comes with some many functions but I'm not able to solve my problem. I have an array x and i need to find a probability density function (pdf) from data. does anyone know how to do that? (i've done it evaluating first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge PDF

Hi I am trying to find a software to merge several pdfs into one pdf on our solaris machine. After merging the document, I have to direct it to a printer. Does anyone have a recommendation? I try to contact a couple of vendor but no replies. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lillyt2006
5 Replies
DH_PYSUPPORT(1) 						  python-support						   DH_PYSUPPORT(1)

NAME
dh_pysupport - use the python-support framework to handle Python modules SYNOPSIS
dh_pysupport [debhelper options] [-V X.Y] [-X item [...]] [-n] [module dirs ...] DESCRIPTION
dh_pysupport is a debhelper program that will scan your package, detect public modules in /usr/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages, and move them to the shared Python modules location. It will generate appropriate postinst/prerm scripts to byte-compile modules installed there for all available python versions. It will also look for private Python modules and will byte-compile them with the current Python version. You may have to list the directories containing private Python modules. If a file named debian/pyversions exists, it is used to determine the python versions with which the package can work. Appropriate dependencies on python-support, python and pythonX.Y are put in ${python:Depends}. The ${python:Versions} and ${python:Provides} optional substitution variables are made available as well. OPTIONS
module dirs If your package installs private python modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_pysupport check those directories by passing their names on the command line. By default, it will check /usr/lib/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/$PACKAGE, /usr/lib/games/$PACKAGE and /usr/share/games/$PACKAGE -n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/postrm scripts. -d This option is deprecated. -V X.Y Force private modules to be bytecompiled with the specific X.Y python version, regardless of the default python version on the system. -X item, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain "item" anywhere in their filename from being taken into account to generate the python dependency. It also excludes them from byte-compilation. You may use this option multiple times to build up a list of things to exclude. CONFORMS TO
Python policy as of 2006-08-10 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of python-support but is made to work with debhelper. AUTHORS
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> 1.0.15 2012-06-30 DH_PYSUPPORT(1)