Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [python] merge pdf files.
Top Forums Programming [python] merge pdf files. Post 303039514 by SaltCityScripts on Tuesday 8th of October 2019 04:47:23 PM
Old 10-08-2019
[python] merge pdf files.

First off I am very new to python but not to scripting I have done a lot of bash scripting.

I need to create a python script for work that will combine multiple pdf files into one pdf file and archive both the combined file and the original pdf files.

So we receive zip files from a client (the file name will either begin with a number #########.zip or MU3-#######-#.zip) and I need to unzip the zip file and use the file name as the name of the combined file.

example
MU3-6493489-1.zip

when I unzip this file I have the following pdf files.:
MU3-6493489-1_006493489-001_ARINV.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_3461.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_7501.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI_2.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI_3.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI_4.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI_5.pdf
MU3-6493489-1_CI.pdf

I need to combine all of these pdf file into a new file called MU3-6493489-1_combined.pdf

I did find a script online that has the basic stuff but it will not work for my needs.

Code:
#pdf_merger.py

import glob
from PyPDF2 import PdfFileMerger

def merger(output_path, imput_paths):
    pdf_merger = PdfFileMerger()
    file_handles = []

for path in input_paths:
        pdf_merger.append(path)

with open(ouput_path, 'wb') as fileobj:
        pdf_merger.write(fileobj)

if _name_ == '_main_':
    paths = glob.glob('MU3_*.pdf')
    paths.sort()
    merger('pdf_merger2.pdf', paths)

This is not my coding and I am not attached to it in anyway. I know I will have to make a lot of changes to get that to work.

If anyone has any thoughts on how to do this I would be forever thankful and so would my work.

--- Post updated at 08:47 PM ---

on a side note: this can be in either perl or python. I just thought python would be better to learn.

I was not able to edit my original post.

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Scipy Python/ get pdf

Hi all I'm just starting usign scipy with python, really powerfull. It comes with some many functions but I'm not able to solve my problem. I have an array x and i need to find a probability density function (pdf) from data. does anyone know how to do that? (i've done it evaluating first... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge PDF

Hi I am trying to find a software to merge several pdfs into one pdf on our solaris machine. After merging the document, I have to direct it to a printer. Does anyone have a recommendation? I try to contact a couple of vendor but no replies. Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lillyt2006
5 Replies
DH_PYTHON(1)							     Debhelper							      DH_PYTHON(1)

NAME
dh_python - calculates Python dependencies and adds postinst and prerm Python scripts (deprecated) SYNOPSIS
dh_python [debhelperoptions] [-n] [-V version] [moduledirs...] DESCRIPTION
Note: This program is deprecated. You should use dh_python2 instead. This program will do nothing if debian/pycompat or a Python-Version control file field exists. dh_python is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating the ${python:Depends} substitutions and adding them to substvars files. It will also add a postinst and a prerm script if required. The program will look at Python scripts and modules in your package, and will use this information to generate a dependency on python, with the current major version, or on pythonX.Y if your scripts or modules need a specific python version. The dependency will be substituted into your package's control file wherever you place the token ${python:Depends}. If some modules need to be byte-compiled at install time, appropriate postinst and prerm scripts will be generated. If already byte- compiled modules are found, they are removed. If you use this program, your package should build-depend on python. OPTIONS
module dirs If your package installs Python modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_python check those directories by passing their names on the command line. By default, it will check /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/$PACKAGE, /usr/lib/games/$PACKAGE, /usr/share/games/$PACKAGE and /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages. Note: only /usr/lib/site-python, /usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages and the extra names on the command line are searched for binary (.so) modules. -V version If the .py files your package ships are meant to be used by a specific pythonX.Y version, you can use this option to specify the desired version, such as 2.3. Do not use if you ship modules in /usr/lib/site-python. -n, --noscripts Do not modify postinst/prerm scripts. CONFORMS TO
Debian policy, version 3.5.7 Python policy, version 0.3.7 SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org> most ideas stolen from Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org> 9.20120909 2011-12-06 DH_PYTHON(1)