Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Xargs and rsync not sending all files Post 303039476 by DougyC on Monday 7th of October 2019 09:31:05 AM
Old 10-07-2019
[SOLVED} Xargs and rsync not sending all files

Hi all,

I have a script issue I can't seem to work out.

In a directory I have several folders and I want to send just the sapdata1 to sapdata14 folders and their contents but not sapdataXX/.snapshot

the script is:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

# SETUP OPTIONS
export SRCDIR="/scratch/doug/test/sapdata*"
export FSRCDIR="/scratch/doug/test"
export DESTDIR="fred@111.222.333.444:/sendtest/TST"
export THREADS="40"

echo "Starting... "
date

# RSYNC DIRECTORY STRUCTURE
rsync -zvr -f"- *sapdata*/.snapshot" -f"+ */" -f"- *" ${SRCDIR} ${DESTDIR} \

# FIND ALL FILES AND PASS THEM TO MULTIPLE RSYNC PROCESSES
cd $FSRCDIR  &&  find sapdata* -path "sapdata*/.snapshot" -prune -o ! -type d -print0 | xargs -0 -n1 -P${THREADS} -I% rsync -arvh --partial --size-only % ${DESTDIR}/%

echo "Complete"
date

The first rsync seems to work, I can see all the folders at the destination.

The find works and finds just over 600 files, however the xargs command only seems to send 40 files and then stops, I thought the -P would spawn 40 processes at a time until all the files were sent . I'm probably missing something obvious but I just can't figure it out.

I should also mention that I'm sending about 15Tb worth of large files. Hence the send in parallel script.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by DougyC; 10-09-2019 at 05:50 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

MV files with xargs or -exec

Hi I need to move multiple (say 10 files) from one location to another location. My selection would be like this... ls -ltr *.arc | head ---> Need to move top 10 files with single command without iterating in loop. I know we can move files like this with find command but not sure if I can... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find with xargs to rm found files

I believe what is happening is rm is executing in the script on every directory and on failure of the first it stops although returns status 0. find $HOME -name /directory/filename | xargs -l rm This is the code I use but file remains. I am using sun solaris system which has way limited... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ebodee
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

move files using xargs

Hi, I have many files like below in my currect dir test1.me test2.me test3.me I wanted them to rename without .me extention I tried below find . -name "*.me" | xargs -i mv {} `echo {} | sed 's/\.me//'` It thorws error that cant mv ./test1.me to ./test1.me as they are... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilmenhdiratt
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help using find/xargs to apply mp3gain to files

I need to apply mp3gain (album mode) to all mp3 files in a given directory. Each album is in its own directory under /media/data/music/albums for example: /media/data/music/albums/foo /media/data/music/albums/bar /media/data/music/albums/more What needs to happen is: cd... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fast processing(mv command) of 1 million+ files using find, mv and xargs

Hi, I'd like to ask if anybody can help improve my code to move 1 million+ files from a directory to another: find /source/dir -name file* -type f | xargs -I '{}' mv {} /destination/dir I learned this line of code from this forum as well and it works fine. However, file movement is kinda... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: agentgrecko
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files from one location to another using xargs??

Hello Experts, I need to copy files from one location to another using xargs. Tried something like this (In Ubuntu & Solaris ). mkdir -p 1234; find /home/emd/Desktop/n007/M007/ -type f -name "A2014*" | xargs -0 cp -r {} /home/emd/Desktop/1234 But every time i run this, a weird error... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saidul
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete directories and files with xargs?

Hello, i have an dynamical apache_cache that I need to clean all days (older tant one day) with an unix command : find /usr/IBM/HTTPServer/apache_cache/ -name '*' -mtime +1 -print0|xargs -0 rm -r -- but it didn't work. Could you explain me why. So I will put below all my script :... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using rsync with xargs

I want to run parallelise rsync with xargs. The plan is to take separate directories and run rsync in parallel. find . -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 print0 | xargs -n1 -P0 rsync -avz Hoxever I am stuck on how to use rsync in this way ---------- Post updated at 04:44 AM ---------- Previous... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux command rsync sending files incrementally

Please, i have a question about rsync command: Here is the command that i have used in my script: rsync -ratlz --rsh="/usr/bin/sshpass ssh -o StrictHostKeyChecking=no" -aAXHltzh --progress --numeric-ids --devices --rsync-path="rsync" $1 $hostname:$1 using this command, i can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xargs to call python executable to process multiple bam files

I am running the below loop that to process the 3 bam files (which isn't always the case). A .py executable is then called using | xargs sh to further process. If I just run it with echo the output is fine and expected, however when | xargs sh is added I get the error. I tried adding | xargs... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
rsync_selinux(8)					rsync Selinux Policy documentation					  rsync_selinux(8)

NAME
rsync_selinux - Security Enhanced Linux Policy for the rsync daemon DESCRIPTION
Security-Enhanced Linux secures the rsync server via flexible mandatory access control. FILE_CONTEXTS SELinux requires files to have an extended attribute to define the file type. Policy governs the access daemons have to these files. If you want to share files using the rsync daemon, you must label the files and directories public_content_t. So if you created a special directory /var/rsync, you would need to label the directory with the chcon tool. chcon -t public_content_t /var/rsync To make this change permanent (survive a relabel), use the semanage command to add the change to file context configuration: semanage fcontext -a -t public_content_t "/var/rsync(/.*)?" This command adds the following entry to /etc/selinux/POLICYTYPE/contexts/files/file_contexts.local: /var/rsync(/.*)? system_u:object_r:publix_content_t:s0 Run the restorecon command to apply the changes: restorecon -R -v /var/rsync/ SHARING FILES
If you want to share files with multiple domains (Apache, FTP, rsync, Samba), you can set a file context of public_content_t and pub- lic_content_rw_t. These context allow any of the above domains to read the content. If you want a particular domain to write to the pub- lic_content_rw_t domain, you must set the appropriate boolean. allow_DOMAIN_anon_write. So for rsync you would execute: setsebool -P allow_rsync_anon_write=1 BOOLEANS
system-config-selinux is a GUI tool available to customize SELinux policy settings. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Dan Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com>. SEE ALSO
selinux(8), rsync(1), chcon(1), setsebool(8), semanage(8) dwalsh@redhat.com 17 Jan 2005 rsync_selinux(8)