Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Building JSON command with bash script Post 303039308 by stomp on Monday 30th of September 2019 12:04:06 PM
Old 09-30-2019
Quote:
You want to explain how bash processes 2 variable atributions within the same line of code?
It's nearly the same code as yours: If $used_net is "testnet" set btcopts to "-testnet" otherwise set to empty value. A shorthand if-construct.

The return value of a variable assignment is always 0 - unless the command produces a syntax error.
This User Gave Thanks to stomp For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building command line parameters of arbitrary length

I couldn't find an existing thread that addressed this question, so hopefully this isn't redundant with anything previously posted. Here goes: I am writing a C-Shell script that runs a program that takes an arbitrary number of parameters: myprog -a file1 \ -b file2 \ -c file3 ... \ -n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmcnorgan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH SCRIPT of LS command

I need help in writing a BASH SCRIPT of ls command. for example: $ ./do_ls.sh files f1.txt f2.jpeg f3.doc $ ./do_ls.sh dirs folder1 folder2 folder3 My attempt: #!/bin/bash # if test $# -d file then echo $dirs else (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: above8k
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable in a BASH script by using a JSON file online?

Hello, I would like to modify an existing script of mine that uses a manually defined "MCVERSION" variable and make it define that variable instead based on this JSON file stored online: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json Within that JSON, I 'm looking for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - cygwin (powershell?) pull from GitHub API Parse JSON

All, Have a weird issue where i need to generate a report from GitHub monthly detailing user accounts and the last time they logged in. I'm using a windows box to do this (work issued) and would like to know if anyone has any experience scripting for GitAPI using windows / cygwin / powershell?... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX or Perl script to convert JSON to CSV

Is there a Unix or Perl script that converts JSON files to CSV or tab delimited format? We are running AIX 6.1. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warpmail
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and Editing a json file with bash script

I am trying to automate editing of a json file using bash script. The file I initially receive is { "appMap": { "URL1": { "name": "a" }, "URL2": { "name": "b" }, "URL3": { "name": "c" }, } WHat I would like to do is replace... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Json field grap via shell script/awk

i have a json data that looks like this: { "ip": "16.66.35.10", "hostname": "No Hostname", "city": "Stepney", "region": "England", "country": "GB", "loc": "51.57,-0.0333", "org": "AS6871 British Telecommunications PLC", "postal": "E1" } im looking for a way to assign... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

JSON structure to table form in awk, bash

Hello guys, I want to parse a JSON file in order to get the data in a table form. My JSON file is like this: { "document":{ "page": }, { "column": } ] }, { ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gescad
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fun with terminal plotting JSON data at the command line

One of the great thing about unix is the ability to pipe multiple programs together to manipulate data. Plain, unstructured text is the most common type of data that is passed between programs, but these days JSON is becoming more popular. I thought it would be fun to pipe together some command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kbrazil
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert any shell command output to JSON format?

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting, Need your help in creating a shell script which converts any unix command output to JSON format output. example: sample df -h command ouput : Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8.1G 4.0G 4.0G 50% /... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
13 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)