Sponsored Content
Special Forums Cybersecurity You are being directed to the US FBI where your IP address and details will also be logged. Post 303039262 by Corona688 on Friday 27th of September 2019 12:28:49 PM
Old 09-27-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisecracker
It seems odd to me that there is goto in ANSI C, and, Assembl[y][er] code uses JMPs and BRAs in absolute, relative with and without offsets etc... and yet it is frowned upon.
It's the legacy of an old war. Many generations of programmers learned BASIC or worse and never recovered. Ask them to use C, and they'd write one giant main(), 50,000 lines long, without structure -- just labels, gotos, and as many local variables as the compiler permits. They might use loops, or those might be written with goto's too.

If you don't program that way, ignore them, they're not talking to you.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

know who logged and logged out with their timings

being ordinary user (not having any administrative rights) can avail myself a facility to know who logged and logged out with their timings get popped onto my terminal as if it get echo 'ed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkandati
3 Replies

2. Ubuntu

tar not reading if output directed to /dev/null

I stumbled across a somewhat strange behavior of tar and find no explanation for it: i was testing a DVD for read errors and thought to simply tar the content and direct the output to /dev/null: tar -cvf - /my/mountpoint/*ts > /dev/null This way i expected the system to read the complete... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bakunin
4 Replies

3. IP Networking

Local Lan, no-ip directed DNS forward, surf within lan

Hi, We have a website running on a local centos 5.4 surfer, static IP. The domain.com uses no-ip.com to take care of the DNS, it forwards all to my server. My router receives the port 80 call, routes it to my server and the world can see domain.com perfectly fine. However, we cannot see... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lawstudent
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at -l doesnt give details of the scheduled job. How to get the details?

I have scheduled couple of shell scripts to run using 'at' command. The o/p of at -l is: $ at -l 1320904800.a Thu Nov 10 01:00:00 2011 1320894000.a Wed Nov 9 22:00:00 2011 1320876000.a Wed Nov 9 17:00:00 2011 $ uname -a SunOS dc2prcrptetl2 5.9 Generic_122300-54 sun4u sparc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superparticle
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes is not present to the directed file

I have the below to direct the values to a xml file, echo "<xml version="1.0">" >> /root/xml/sample.xml but when the check the sample.xml file, the output looks like the below one(without double quotes) <xml version=1.0> but i want the output like <xml version="1.0"> Any help on... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vel4ever
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Fetching address and user details from log file

Hi All, I have a requirement to get the address values from a large log file along with the user details. line1,line2,city,stateCode,postalCode,countryCode. The below code as advised in the earlier post is giving the user data zgrep -B1 "Failed to calculate Tax" log.2018-05-23.gz | grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nextStep
8 Replies
SETJMP(3)                                                    Linux Programmer's Manual                                                   SETJMP(3)

NAME
setjmp, sigsetjmp, longjmp, siglongjmp - performing a nonlocal goto SYNOPSIS
#include <setjmp.h> int setjmp(jmp_buf env); int sigsetjmp(sigjmp_buf env, int savesigs); void longjmp(jmp_buf env, int val); void siglongjmp(sigjmp_buf env, int val); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): setjmp(): see NOTES. sigsetjmp(): _POSIX_C_SOURCE DESCRIPTION
The functions described on this page are used for performing "nonlocal gotos": transferring execution from one function to a predetermined location in another function. The setjmp() function dynamically establishes the target to which control will later be transferred, and longjmp() performs the transfer of execution. The setjmp() function saves various information about the calling environment (typically, the stack pointer, the instruction pointer, pos- sibly the values of other registers and the signal mask) in the buffer env for later use by longjmp(). In this case, setjmp() returns 0. The longjmp() function uses the information saved in env to transfer control back to the point where setjmp() was called and to restore ("rewind") the stack to its state at the time of the setjmp() call. In addition, and depending on the implementation (see NOTES), the val- ues of some other registers and the process signal mask may be restored to their state at the time of the setjmp() call. Following a successful longjmp(), execution continues as if setjmp() had returned for a second time. This "fake" return can be distin- guished from a true setjmp() call because the "fake" return returns the value provided in val. If the programmer mistakenly passes the value 0 in val, the "fake" return will instead return 1. sigsetjmp() and siglongjmp() sigsetjmp() and siglongjmp() also perform nonlocal gotos, but provide predictable handling of the process signal mask. If, and only if, the savesigs argument provided to sigsetjmp() is nonzero, the process's current signal mask is saved in env and will be restored if a siglongjmp() is later performed with this env. RETURN VALUE
setjmp() and sigsetjmp() return 0 when called directly; on the "fake" return that occurs after longjmp() or siglongjmp(), the nonzero value specified in val is returned. The longjmp() or siglongjmp() functions do not return. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +------------------------+---------------+---------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +------------------------+---------------+---------+ |setjmp(), sigsetjmp() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +------------------------+---------------+---------+ |longjmp(), siglongjmp() | Thread safety | MT-Safe | +------------------------+---------------+---------+ CONFORMING TO
setjmp(), longjmp(): POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008, C89, C99. sigsetjmp(), siglongjmp(): POSIX.1-2001, POSIX.1-2008. NOTES
POSIX does not specify whether setjmp() will save the signal mask (to be later restored during longjmp()). In System V it will not. In 4.3BSD it will, and there is a function _setjmp() that will not. The behavior under Linux depends on the glibc version and the setting of feature test macros. On Linux with glibc versions before 2.19, setjmp() follows the System V behavior by default, but the BSD behavior is provided if the _BSD_SOURCE feature test macro is explicitly defined and none of _POSIX_SOURCE, _POSIX_C_SOURCE, _XOPEN_SOURCE, _GNU_SOURCE, or _SVID_SOURCE is defined. Since glibc 2.19, <setjmp.h> exposes only the System V version of setjmp(). Programs that need the BSD semantics should replace calls to setjmp() with calls to sigsetjmp() with a nonzero savesigs argument. setjmp() and longjmp() can be useful for dealing with errors inside deeply nested function calls or to allow a signal handler to pass con- trol to a specific point in the program, rather than returning to the point where the handler interrupted the main program. In the latter case, if you want to portably save and restore signal masks, use sigsetjmp() and siglongjmp(). See also the discussion of program read- ability below. The compiler may optimize variables into registers, and longjmp() may restore the values of other registers in addition to the stack pointer and program counter. Consequently, the values of automatic variables are unspecified after a call to longjmp() if they meet all the following criteria: o they are local to the function that made the corresponding setjmp() call; o their values are changed between the calls to setjmp() and longjmp(); and o they are not declared as volatile. Analogous remarks apply for siglongjmp(). Nonlocal gotos and program readability While it can be abused, the traditional C "goto" statement at least has the benefit that lexical cues (the goto statement and the target label) allow the programmer to easily perceive the flow of control. Nonlocal gotos provide no such cues: multiple setjmp() calls might employ the same jmp_buf variable so that the content of the variable may change over the lifetime of the application. Consequently, the programmer may be forced to perform detailed reading of the code to determine the dynamic target of a particular longjmp() call. (To make the programmer's life easier, each setjmp() call should employ a unique jmp_buf variable.) Adding further difficulty, the setjmp() and longjmp() calls may not even be in the same source code module. In summary, nonlocal gotos can make programs harder to understand and maintain, and an alternative should be used if possible. Caveats If the function which called setjmp() returns before longjmp() is called, the behavior is undefined. Some kind of subtle or unsubtle chaos is sure to result. If, in a multithreaded program, a longjmp() call employs an env buffer that was initialized by a call to setjmp() in a different thread, the behavior is undefined. POSIX.1-2008 Technical Corrigendum 2 adds longjmp() and siglongjmp() to the list of async-signal-safe functions. However, the standard recommends avoiding the use of these functions from signal handlers and goes on to point out that if these functions are called from a sig- nal handler that interrupted a call to a non-async-signal-safe function (or some equivalent, such as the steps equivalent to exit(3) that occur upon a return from the initial call to main()), the behavior is undefined if the program subsequently makes a call to a non-async- signal-safe function. The only way of avoiding undefined behavior is to ensure one of the following: * After long jumping from the signal handler, the program does not call any non-async-signal-safe functions and does not return from the initial call to main(). * Any signal whose handler performs a long jump must be blocked during every call to a non-async-signal-safe function and no non-async- signal-safe functions are called after returning from the initial call to main(). SEE ALSO
signal(7), signal-safety(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. 2017-03-13 SETJMP(3)