Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Building JSON command with bash script Post 303039089 by stomp on Sunday 22nd of September 2019 04:56:23 PM
Old 09-22-2019
The mentioned line is the trickiest thing of all.

You need to know what that eval is actually for. Eval adds an additional evaluation round(so I get from content of $i which may be the number "3" to the content of the following parameter $4). An additional evaluation round means that quotes are removed at the first pass, so I had to add protected quotes, which become normal quotes in the second pass.

Read about eval function in the bash manpage.

---

The question "it does not work, tell me the error" drove me away from giving any further answer, because I suspected lack of even minimal initiative/competence to investigate the problem.

The second question was very specific and showed much more of that initiative/competence, so I'm motivated to answer again.

It's no problem with having low competence level - everyone starts from nothing. But I'm not willing to explain at that level.

Last edited by stomp; 09-22-2019 at 06:18 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building command line parameters of arbitrary length

I couldn't find an existing thread that addressed this question, so hopefully this isn't redundant with anything previously posted. Here goes: I am writing a C-Shell script that runs a program that takes an arbitrary number of parameters: myprog -a file1 \ -b file2 \ -c file3 ... \ -n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmcnorgan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH SCRIPT of LS command

I need help in writing a BASH SCRIPT of ls command. for example: $ ./do_ls.sh files f1.txt f2.jpeg f3.doc $ ./do_ls.sh dirs folder1 folder2 folder3 My attempt: #!/bin/bash # if test $# -d file then echo $dirs else (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: above8k
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to define a variable in a BASH script by using a JSON file online?

Hello, I would like to modify an existing script of mine that uses a manually defined "MCVERSION" variable and make it define that variable instead based on this JSON file stored online: https://s3.amazonaws.com/Minecraft.Download/versions/versions.json Within that JSON, I 'm looking for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nbsparks
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - cygwin (powershell?) pull from GitHub API Parse JSON

All, Have a weird issue where i need to generate a report from GitHub monthly detailing user accounts and the last time they logged in. I'm using a windows box to do this (work issued) and would like to know if anyone has any experience scripting for GitAPI using windows / cygwin / powershell?... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChocoTaco
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX or Perl script to convert JSON to CSV

Is there a Unix or Perl script that converts JSON files to CSV or tab delimited format? We are running AIX 6.1. Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: warpmail
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing and Editing a json file with bash script

I am trying to automate editing of a json file using bash script. The file I initially receive is { "appMap": { "URL1": { "name": "a" }, "URL2": { "name": "b" }, "URL3": { "name": "c" }, } WHat I would like to do is replace... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Json field grap via shell script/awk

i have a json data that looks like this: { "ip": "16.66.35.10", "hostname": "No Hostname", "city": "Stepney", "region": "England", "country": "GB", "loc": "51.57,-0.0333", "org": "AS6871 British Telecommunications PLC", "postal": "E1" } im looking for a way to assign... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

JSON structure to table form in awk, bash

Hello guys, I want to parse a JSON file in order to get the data in a table form. My JSON file is like this: { "document":{ "page": }, { "column": } ] }, { ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gescad
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fun with terminal plotting JSON data at the command line

One of the great thing about unix is the ability to pipe multiple programs together to manipulate data. Plain, unstructured text is the most common type of data that is passed between programs, but these days JSON is becoming more popular. I thought it would be fun to pipe together some command... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kbrazil
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert any shell command output to JSON format?

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting, Need your help in creating a shell script which converts any unix command output to JSON format output. example: sample df -h command ouput : Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted /dev/dsk/c1t0d0s0 8.1G 4.0G 4.0G 50% /... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: balu1234
13 Replies
RPNTUTORIAL(1)							      rrdtool							    RPNTUTORIAL(1)

NAME
rpntutorial - Reading RRDtool RPN Expressions by Steve Rader DESCRIPTION
This tutorial should help you get to grips with RRDtool RPN expressions as seen in CDEF arguments of RRDtool graph. Reading Comparison Operators The LT, LE, GT, GE and EQ RPN logic operators are not as tricky as they appear. These operators act on the two values on the stack preceding them (to the left). Read these two values on the stack from left to right inserting the operator in the middle. If the resulting statement is true, then replace the three values from the stack with "1". If the statement if false, replace the three values with "0". For example, think about "2,1,GT". This RPN expression could be read as "is two greater than one?" The answer to that question is "true". So the three values should be replaced with "1". Thus the RPN expression 2,1,GT evaluates to 1. Now consider "2,1,LE". This RPN expression could be read as "is two less than or equal to one?". The natural response is "no" and thus the RPN expression 2,1,LE evaluates to 0. Reading the IF Operator The IF RPN logic operator can be straightforward also. The key to reading IF operators is to understand that the condition part of the traditional "if X than Y else Z" notation has *already* been evaluated. So the IF operator acts on only one value on the stack: the third value to the left of the IF value. The second value to the left of the IF corresponds to the true ("Y") branch. And the first value to the left of the IF corresponds to the false ("Z") branch. Read the RPN expression "X,Y,Z,IF" from left to right like so: "if X then Y else Z". For example, consider "1,10,100,IF". It looks bizarre to me. But when I read "if 1 then 10 else 100" it's crystal clear: 1 is true so the answer is 10. Note that only zero is false; all other values are true. "2,20,200,IF" ("if 2 then 20 else 200") evaluates to 20. And "0,1,2,IF" ("if 0 then 1 else 2) evaluates to 2. Notice that none of the above examples really simulate the whole "if X then Y else Z" statement. This is because computer programmers read this statement as "if Some Condition then Y else Z". So it's important to be able to read IF operators along with the LT, LE, GT, GE and EQ operators. Some Examples While compound expressions can look overly complex, they can be considered elegantly simple. To quickly comprehend RPN expressions, you must know the algorithm for evaluating RPN expressions: iterate searches from the left to the right looking for an operator. When it's found, apply that operator by popping the operator and some number of values (and by definition, not operators) off the stack. For example, the stack "1,2,3,+,+" gets "2,3,+" evaluated (as "2+3") during the first iteration and is replaced by 5. This results in the stack "1,5,+". Finally, "1,5,+" is evaluated resulting in the answer 6. For convenience, it's useful to write this set of operations as: 1) 1,2,3,+,+ eval is 2,3,+ = 5 result is 1,5,+ 2) 1,5,+ eval is 1,5,+ = 6 result is 6 3) 6 Let's use that notation to conveniently solve some complex RPN expressions with multiple logic operators: 1) 20,10,GT,10,20,IF eval is 20,10,GT = 1 result is 1,10,20,IF read the eval as pop "20 is greater than 10" so push 1 2) 1,10,20,IF eval is 1,10,20,IF = 10 result is 10 read pop "if 1 then 10 else 20" so push 10. Only 10 is left so 10 is the answer. Let's read a complex RPN expression that also has the traditional multiplication operator: 1) 128,8,*,7000,GT,7000,128,8,*,IF eval 128,8,* result is 1024 2) 1024 ,7000,GT,7000,128,8,*,IF eval 1024,7000,GT result is 0 3) 0, 7000,128,8,*,IF eval 128,8,* result is 1024 4) 0, 7000,1024, IF result is 1024 Now let's go back to the first example of multiple logic operators, but replace the value 20 with the variable "input": 1) input,10,GT,10,input,IF eval is input,10,GT ( lets call this A ) Read eval as "if input > 10 then true" and replace "input,10,GT" with "A": 2) A,10,input,IF eval is A,10,input,IF read "if A then 10 else input". Now replace A with it's verbose description again and--voila!--you have an easily readable description of the expression: if input > 10 then 10 else input Finally, let's go back to the first most complex example and replace the value 128 with "input": 1) input,8,*,7000,GT,7000,input,8,*,IF eval input,8,* result is A where A is "input * 8" 2) A,7000,GT,7000,input,8,*,IF eval is A,7000,GT result is B where B is "if ((input * 8) > 7000) then true" 3) B,7000,input,8,*,IF eval is input,8,* result is C where C is "input * 8" 4) B,7000,C,IF At last we have a readable decoding of the complex RPN expression with a variable: if ((input * 8) > 7000) then 7000 else (input * 8) Exercises Exercise 1: Compute "3,2,*,1,+ and "3,2,1,+,*" by hand. Rewrite them in traditional notation. Explain why they have different answers. Answer 1: 3*2+1 = 7 and 3*(2+1) = 9. These expressions have different answers because the altering of the plus and times operators alter the order of their evaluation. Exercise 2: One may be tempted to shorten the expression input,8,*,56000,GT,56000,input,*,8,IF by removing the redundant use of "input,8,*" like so: input,56000,GT,56000,input,IF,8,* Use traditional notation to show these expressions are not the same. Write an expression that's equivalent to the first expression, but uses the LE and DIV operators. Answer 2: if (input <= 56000/8 ) { input*8 } else { 56000 } input,56000,8,DIV,LT,input,8,*,56000,IF Exercise 3: Briefly explain why traditional mathematic notation requires the use of parentheses. Explain why RPN notation does not require the use of parentheses. Answer 3: Traditional mathematic expressions are evaluated by doing multiplication and division first, then addition and subtraction. Parentheses are used to force the evaluation of addition before multiplication (etc). RPN does not require parentheses because the ordering of objects on the stack can force the evaluation of addition before multiplication. Exercise 4: Explain why it was desirable for the RRDtool developers to implement RPN notation instead of traditional mathematical notation. Answer 4: The algorithm that implements traditional mathematical notation is more complex then algorithm used for RPN. So implementing RPN allowed Tobias Oetiker to write less code! (The code is also less complex and therefore less likely to have bugs.) AUTHOR
Steve Rader <rader@wiscnet.net> 1.4.3 2009-12-08 RPNTUTORIAL(1)