Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Curl not accepting spaces in script via variables Post 303038966 by say170 on Wednesday 18th of September 2019 11:34:29 AM
Old 09-18-2019
Found a working solution here - shell - How can I use a variable in curl call within bash script - Stack Overflow

Code:
message="Hello there"
curl -X POST -H 'Content-type: application/json' --data '{"text": "'"${message}"'"}'

Far from elegant, but it works... I will play with jq when I get some time.
This User Gave Thanks to say170 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing spaces from variables?

I stored results like this VAR=`wc -l < ls.txt` But the value of the wc gave me a padded number. How do I strip the padding from $VAR? Do you think I could use SED? Except instead of a file input, have a variable redirection input? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

invloking another script accepting input

hi I am trying to invoke another application script from my script like --------------------------- main . . ./new appl <<EOF Input 1 Input 2 EOF . . exit ------------------------ But is exits the new application after input command 2, I want that it should not exit and accept... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashish_uiit
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in Lines for Variables

All, I am driving myself crazy over this one. I have run a find command against a volume on a nas. That returns a full listing of path and file name. This is an example of one line of output. I redirected the output of the find command to a file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbwe
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to cli curl

I have a script that uses cli curl, and it would be easier if it was possible to pass variables like this: curl -c $cookie -d $data www.********.comThis doesn't work, instead I have to generate a string and use eval. Is there another, easier way to pass variables to cli curl? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cURL and variables

I have a spent a day with Google trying to figure this one out and have decided its time to ask the experts... I'm running OS X 10.6 I need to use cURL to FTP a file. I have been successful send the file from the command line when I know the filename. My problem is that the filename changes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmSimplicity
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script accepting password

Hi friends, I am very new to Unix scripting and having some difficulty in my first shell script. I have written a simple shell script to upload an artifact to a remote machine on the network. echo "Uploading the artifact" scp app.war username@remotemochine.domainname.net:/home/deployables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashdeep
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in variables

I'm having a problem with this.... --------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash SPKTAG=" | festival --tts" echo "Welcome to my shell program" "$SPKTAG"; --------------------------------------------------- I have a variable call SPKTAG " | festival --tts" and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending awk variables into curl in a bash script

Hello experts! I have a file1 with the following format (yr,day, month, hour,minute): 201201132435 201202141210 201304132030 201410100110 ... What i want to do is to assign variables and then use them in the curl command to download the text of each event from a web page. What I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP - loop a curl command with different variables from input file

Hi guys! Kind of new to bash scripting and now I'm stuck. I need to curl with these variables: "{ \"nodename\": \"$1\", \"ipaddress\": \"$2\", \"poolname\": \"$3\", \"port\": \"$4\", \"loadbalancer\" : \"$5\" }" and my input_file.txt contains server001 10.10.10.01 serverpool1 80... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yort
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script accepting variables in valid number format

Hi Experts I would like to ask if there is a way to validate if the variable passed is in this kind of sample format "06-10" or "10-01". It was really a challenge to me on how to start and echnically the "6-10" stands for "June 10" and "10-01" stands as "October 1", overall it needs to have ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ersan-poguita
3 Replies
CURLOPT_HTTPGET(3)					     curl_easy_setopt options						CURLOPT_HTTPGET(3)

NAME
CURLOPT_HTTPGET - ask for a HTTP GET request SYNOPSIS
#include <curl/curl.h> CURLcode curl_easy_setopt(CURL *handle, CURLOPT_HTTPGET, long useget); DESCRIPTION
Pass a long. If useget is 1, this forces the HTTP request to get back to using GET. Usable if a POST, HEAD, PUT, etc has been used previ- ously using the same curl handle. When setting CURLOPT_HTTPGET(3) to 1, it will automatically set CURLOPT_NOBODY(3) to 0 and CURLOPT_UPLOAD(3) to 0. DEFAULT
0 PROTOCOLS
HTTP(S) EXAMPLE
curl = curl_easy_init(); if(curl) { curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_URL, "http://example.com"); /* use a GET to fetch this */ curl_easy_setopt(curl, CURLOPT_HTTPGET, 1L); /* Perform the request */ curl_easy_perform(curl); } AVAILABILITY
Along with HTTP RETURN VALUE
Returns CURLE_OK if HTTP is supported, and CURLE_UNKNOWN_OPTION if not. SEE ALSO
CURLOPT_NOBODY(3), CURLOPT_UPLOAD(3), libcurl 7.54.0 February 03, 2016 CURLOPT_HTTPGET(3)