Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [Python] - subprocess issue
Top Forums Programming [Python] - subprocess issue Post 303038959 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 18th of September 2019 10:23:23 AM
Old 09-18-2019
My understanding is the operation of the two are different:

Documentation -
Quote:
check_call() returns as soon as /bin/sh process exits, it does not wait for child processes to complete

check_output() waits until all output is read. When (and if) check_output inherits the stdin pipe then check_output() will wait until it exits, i.e., until the child process the inherited pipe. In other words it waits for the child process to end.
Try getting get rid of the shlex,
Code:
subprocess.check_output( [ "command" "parameter_1" ])

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt about pipes and subprocess

Hi, I am having a trivial doubt. Please see the below pipeline code sequence. command1 | (command 2; commend 3) I am aware that the command that follows pipe will run in the sub shell by the Unix kernel. But how about here? Since these set of commands are grouped under "parantheses", will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab Permissions Issue with Python

I have a cron on a Linux server that isn't executing properly. CRON (with specific info replaced): MAILTO=emailaddress@server.com */2 * * * * python /data/site/cron.py OUTPUT: python: can't open file '/data/site/cron.py ': No such file or directoryAdditional info - The python path is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theHire
3 Replies

3. AIX

Subprocess errors

Hi Guys, Just a question about subprocesses.. Lately one of our servers has started to throw out the following error: SYSTEM ERROR: Too many subprocesses, cannot fork. Errno=12 We've already increased the threshold twice. Its now up to 8000 and the swap space has also been increased. We... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

python: what's wrong with my subprocess.Popen

my script is #!/usr/bin/env python import datetime import subprocess import sys import os import signal from time import sleep def runForAWhile(cmd, secs=10): print("running %s" % cmd) timeout = datetime.timedelta(seconds=secs) print timeout proc = subprocess.Popen(cmd,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python subprocess module

I need to run this command using python subprocess module (notice I'm using only variables): cmd = TESTPATH + ' -s ' + serviceName + ' -r ' + rdir + \ ' -m ' + masterAcct + ' -p ' + persona + ' -P ' + passwd (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xterm using python subprocess

Hi, I am trying to run a shell script using subprocess in python. I can run simple script with arguments using subprocess.But I am not able to embed xterm in subrocess command. #!/usr/bin/python import subprocess subprocess.call() Above code gives me error. Please help me in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python subprocess

Hi guys, I'm learning python and perl and i was trying to run from python a perl script using the subprocess module. I have an issue that i don't understand regarding this. I run this code: #!/usr/bin/python import subprocess p2 = subprocess.Popen(,stdout=subprocess.PIPE) output2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python Thread Execution Issue . . .

Greetings! I set up a basic threading specimen which does the job:#!/usr/bin/python import threading class a(threading.Thread): def __init__(self): threading.Thread.__init__(self) def run(self): print("thread a finished") class b(threading.Thread): ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
0 Replies

9. Programming

Python[Issue in converting .py to .exe using py2exe

Hi Experts, Good morning. I am trying to convert my hello.py to hello .exe file. I followed the steps as mentioned in the documentation but getting errors in the end. Please help. What I did as below-- Created hello.py file print ("Hello world!") raw_input('') Then... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue Spliting String in Python

I have a string like below Note: I have have a single to any number of comma "," seperated string assigned to jdbc_trgt variable. I need to split jdbc_trgt using comma(,) as the delimiter. I tried the below but it fails as i dont know how can i read each split string iterately. for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
Tcl_DetachPids(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures						 Tcl_DetachPids(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_DetachPids, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs, Tcl_WaitPid - manage child processes in background SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_DetachPids(numPids, pidPtr) Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs() Tcl_Pid Tcl_WaitPid(pid, statusPtr, options) ARGUMENTS
int numPids (in) Number of process ids contained in the array pointed to by pidPtr. int *pidPtr (in) Address of array containing numPids process ids. Tcl_Pid pid (in) The id of the process (pipe) to wait for. int *statusPtr (out) The result of waiting on a process (pipe). Either 0 or ECHILD. int options (in) The options controlling the wait. WNOHANG specifies not to wait when checking the process. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Tcl_DetachPids and Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs provide a mechanism for managing subprocesses that are running in background. These procedures are needed because the parent of a process must eventually invoke the waitpid kernel call (or one of a few other similar kernel calls) to wait for the child to exit. Until the parent waits for the child, the child's state cannot be completely reclaimed by the system. If a parent continually creates children and doesn't wait on them, the system's process table will eventually overflow, even if all the children have exited. Tcl_DetachPids may be called to ask Tcl to take responsibility for one or more processes whose process ids are contained in the pidPtr array passed as argument. The caller presumably has started these processes running in background and does not want to have to deal with them again. Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs invokes the waitpid kernel call on each of the background processes so that its state can be cleaned up if it has exited. If the process has not exited yet, Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs does not wait for it to exit; it will check again the next time it is invoked. Tcl automatically calls Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs each time the exec command is executed, so in most cases it is not necessary for any code outside of Tcl to invoke Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs. However, if you call Tcl_DetachPids in situations where the exec command may never get executed, you may wish to call Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs from time to time so that background processes can be cleaned up. Tcl_WaitPid is a thin wrapper around the facilities provided by the operating system to wait on the end of a spawned process and to check a whether spawned process is still running. It is used by Tcl_ReapDetachedProcs and the channel system to portably access the operating sys- tem. KEYWORDS
background, child, detach, process, wait Tcl Tcl_DetachPids(3)