Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: [Python] - subprocess issue
Top Forums Programming [Python] - subprocess issue Post 303038957 by scj2012 on Wednesday 18th of September 2019 10:07:52 AM
Old 09-18-2019
[Python] - subprocess issue

So I have this basic script, see below

Code:
import subprocess
import shlex

command = "gcloud projects list"

subprocess.check_output(shlex.split(command))
subprocess.check_call(shlex.split(command))

The subprocess.check_call(shlex.split(command)) actually return what I expect. It returns the result of gcloud projects list. However subprocess.check_output doesn't, in fact it returns nothing.

Can explain this?

Last edited by Neo; 09-19-2019 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: Added icode tags to discussion

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt about pipes and subprocess

Hi, I am having a trivial doubt. Please see the below pipeline code sequence. command1 | (command 2; commend 3) I am aware that the command that follows pipe will run in the sub shell by the Unix kernel. But how about here? Since these set of commands are grouped under "parantheses", will... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Crontab Permissions Issue with Python

I have a cron on a Linux server that isn't executing properly. CRON (with specific info replaced): MAILTO=emailaddress@server.com */2 * * * * python /data/site/cron.py OUTPUT: python: can't open file '/data/site/cron.py ': No such file or directoryAdditional info - The python path is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: theHire
3 Replies

3. AIX

Subprocess errors

Hi Guys, Just a question about subprocesses.. Lately one of our servers has started to throw out the following error: SYSTEM ERROR: Too many subprocesses, cannot fork. Errno=12 We've already increased the threshold twice. Its now up to 8000 and the swap space has also been increased. We... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

python: what's wrong with my subprocess.Popen

my script is #!/usr/bin/env python import datetime import subprocess import sys import os import signal from time import sleep def runForAWhile(cmd, secs=10): print("running %s" % cmd) timeout = datetime.timedelta(seconds=secs) print timeout proc = subprocess.Popen(cmd,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python subprocess module

I need to run this command using python subprocess module (notice I'm using only variables): cmd = TESTPATH + ' -s ' + serviceName + ' -r ' + rdir + \ ' -m ' + masterAcct + ' -p ' + persona + ' -P ' + passwd (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: erick_tuk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Xterm using python subprocess

Hi, I am trying to run a shell script using subprocess in python. I can run simple script with arguments using subprocess.But I am not able to embed xterm in subrocess command. #!/usr/bin/python import subprocess subprocess.call() Above code gives me error. Please help me in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: diehard
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python subprocess

Hi guys, I'm learning python and perl and i was trying to run from python a perl script using the subprocess module. I have an issue that i don't understand regarding this. I run this code: #!/usr/bin/python import subprocess p2 = subprocess.Popen(,stdout=subprocess.PIPE) output2 =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: capitanui
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python Thread Execution Issue . . .

Greetings! I set up a basic threading specimen which does the job:#!/usr/bin/python import threading class a(threading.Thread): def __init__(self): threading.Thread.__init__(self) def run(self): print("thread a finished") class b(threading.Thread): ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LinQ
0 Replies

9. Programming

Python[Issue in converting .py to .exe using py2exe

Hi Experts, Good morning. I am trying to convert my hello.py to hello .exe file. I followed the steps as mentioned in the documentation but getting errors in the end. Please help. What I did as below-- Created hello.py file print ("Hello world!") raw_input('') Then... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue Spliting String in Python

I have a string like below Note: I have have a single to any number of comma "," seperated string assigned to jdbc_trgt variable. I need to split jdbc_trgt using comma(,) as the delimiter. I tried the below but it fails as i dont know how can i read each split string iterately. for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies
CRASHME(1)						      General Commands Manual							CRASHME(1)

NAME
crashme - test operating environment software robustness SYNOPSIS
crashme [NBYTES] [SRAND] [NTRYS] [NSUB] [VERBOSE] DESCRIPTION
crashme is a very simple program that tests the operating environment's robustness by invoking random data as if it were a procedure. The standard signals are caught and handled with a setjmp back to a loop which will try again to produce a fault by executing random data. Some people call this stress testing. COMMAND LINE OPTIONS [NBYTES] The [NBYTES] should be an integer, specifying the size of the random data string in bytes. If given negative then the bytes are printed instead of being executed. If given with an explicit plus sign then the storage for the bytes is freshly malloc'ed each time. This can have an effect on machines with seperate I and D cache mechanisms. The argument can also have a dot in it, X.Y, in which case Y is a increment for a pointer into the random data. The buffer is recalculated only when the pointer gets near the end of the data. [SRAND] The [SRAND] is an input seed to the random number generator, passed to srand. [NTRIES] The [NTRIES] is how many times to loop before exiting normally from the program. [NSUB] The [NSUB] is optional, the number of vfork subprocesses running all at once. If negative run one after another. If given as a time hrs:mns:scs (hours, minutes, seconds) then one subprocess will be run to completion, followed by another, until the time limit has been reached. If this argument is given as the empty string or . then it is ignored. When in sequential-subprocess mode there is a 30 second time limit on each subprocess. This is to allow the instruction-set-space random walk to continue when a process bashes itself into an infinite loop. For example, the ntrys can be bashed to a very large number with nbytes bashed to zero. (10 second limit on Windows NT). The SRAND argument is incremented by one for each subprocess. [VERBOSE] The [VERBOSE] arg is optional. 0 is the least verbose, 5 the most. EXAMPLE
This is a suggested test, to run it for a least an hour. crashme +2000 666 100 1:00:00 FILES
crashme.c DIAGNOSTICS
When a signal is caught the number and nature of the signal is indicated. Setting the environment variable CRASHLOG will cause each sub- process to record the arguments it was given. BUGS
Not all signals are caught, and the state of the user program/process enviroment can be sufficiently damaged such that the program termi- nates before going through all [NTRIES] operations. If the architecture uses some kind of procedure descriptor but no special code has been not been added to castaway() in crashme.c then the stress test will not be as potent as it would otherwise be. Beware: This program can crash your computer if the operating system or hardware of same is buggy. User data may be lost. AUTHOR
George J Carrette. GJC@world.std.com VERSION
2.4 20-MAY-1994 LOCAL CRASHME(1)