Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Construct Array from String seperated by different whitespaces Post 303038950 by gull04 on Wednesday 18th of September 2019 07:05:47 AM
Old 09-18-2019
Hi Motashims,

I've tried this on a couple of systems and get the following - for Solaris;

Code:
-bash-3.2$ cat arrtest.sh
IFS=' ' read -ra my_array <<< "2019-09-11 15:17:55 CR1234 anonymous       Deployed        DR_only        Back_APP"
#Print the split string
for i in "${my_array[@]}"
do
     echo $i
done
-bash-3.2$ ./arrtest.sh
2019-09-11
15:17:55
CR1234
anonymous
Deployed
DR_only
Back_APP
-bash-3.2$ uname -a
SunOS isd250 5.10 Generic_150400-46 sun4v sparc sun4v
-bash-3.2$ bash --version
GNU bash, version 3.2.52(1)-release (sparc-sun-solaris2.10)
Copyright (C) 2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
-bash-3.2$

And on a much later version of Red Hat;

Code:
[root@fbakirpomd4 bin]# cat arrtest.sh
IFS=' ' read -ra my_array <<< "2019-09-11 15:17:55 CR1234 anonymous       Deployed        DR_only        Back_APP"
#Print the split string
for i in "${my_array[@]}"
do
     echo $i
done
[root@fbakirpomd4 bin]# ./arrtest.sh
2019-09-11
15:17:55
CR1234
anonymous
Deployed
DR_only
Back_APP
[root@fbakirpomd4 bin]# cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 7.5 (Maipo)
[root@fbakirpomd4 bin]# bash --version
GNU bash, version 4.2.46(2)-release (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu)
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>

This is free software; you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
[root@fbakirpomd4 bin]#

I'm unable to replicate the issue - I think.

Regards

Gull04

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To split a string to obtain the words delimited by whitespaces

Please can someone thow some light what is the best way to split a string to obtain the words delimited by whitespaces. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sudhakar333
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated file.

Hi, I want to remove empty/blank lines from comma seperated and space seperated files Thanks all for help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

construct a string with X number of spaces

I'd like to create a variable with the value of X number of space( no Perl please), printf seems to work, but , in following example,10 spaces becomes 1 space when assinged to a variable, Why? other solutions are welcome. $printf "=%10s=\n" = = $var=$(printf "=%10s=\n") echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substring in string with whitespaces

hello, i have this string: variable="1234 /PARAMETER_1:text /PARAMETER_2:othertext" i tried to do expr match $variable '.*\(*\)' but i keep getting expr error i need to extract the word text... thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aloush89
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert comma seperated file to line seperated.

Hi, I have data like this. 1,2,3,4 Output required: 1 2 3 4 I am trying to use tr function but getting error. Help is appreciated. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : Read an array and write to another array with intial string pattern checks

I have an array and two variables as below, I need to check if $datevar is present in $filename. If so, i need to replace $filename with the values in the array. I need the output inside an ARRAY How can this be done. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

For loop; how to construct a array with variables

Hi everybody!! Here is the thing; I have a trouble in this simple situation, I'm trying to write an array with all the arguments of a command. I mean, if I have: ./mycommand.sh aa bb cc dd I need to take an array like this: myarray=(aa bb cc dd) So I use a simple for loop like this: for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: andresgom
4 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Create a bash array from a flat file of whitespaces only.

Hi guys and gals... MacBook Pro. OSX 10.13.2, default bash terminal. I have a flat file 1920 bytes in size of whitespaces only. I need to put every single whitespace character into a bash array cell. Below are two methods that work, but both are seriously ugly. The first one requires that I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Seperated a Column from 'ESC' Character seperated file

Hi Experts I have an escape seperated fields in the unix file. And in the below format file I need to extract the first column. Please help its urgent. cat -v op.dat | head 24397028^ I want to extract the file in below format ( with only first column ) 24397028 2439707 thanks. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: neha_suri06
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk Associative Array and/or Referring to Field by String (Nonconstant String Value)

I will start with an example of what I'm trying to do and then describe how I am approaching the issue. File PS028,005 Lexeme HRS # M # PhraseType 1(1:1) 7(7) PhraseLab 501 503 ClauseType ZYq0 PS028,005 Lexeme W # L> # BNH # M #... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
17 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)