Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Curl not accepting spaces in script via variables Post 303038867 by say170 on Monday 16th of September 2019 06:29:17 AM
Old 09-16-2019
Curl not accepting spaces in script via variables

Hi All,

I'm trying to run a script which issues rest commands via curl to an endpoint. If I put spaces in fields via something like insomnia, it works, but when I try from an input file, it's failing with a json error.

Code:
while IFS=, read mname oname           <------ my input file is:    Test Name,New Name
do
#echo $mname

curl --request POST \
  --url http://192.168.0.1:1111/Service2/configuration/v1.0/Endpoint/ \
  --header 'authorization: Bearer '$token   \
  --header 'content-type: application/json' \
  --silent \
  --data '{
        -- "mName": "Test Name",                   <------with this line it works
        "mName": '\"$mname\"',             <-------with this line it fails

The output is

Code:
Test Name New Name

{"message":"JSON parse error","statusCode":400}

If I echo in from on curl, I get:

Code:
 --header content-type: application/json --silent --data {
       "mName": "Test Name",
        "oName": "New Name",

so it looks to be correct - just that without the echo, I get the error.

Any ideas?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing spaces from variables?

I stored results like this VAR=`wc -l < ls.txt` But the value of the wc gave me a padded number. How do I strip the padding from $VAR? Do you think I could use SED? Except instead of a file input, have a variable redirection input? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

invloking another script accepting input

hi I am trying to invoke another application script from my script like --------------------------- main . . ./new appl <<EOF Input 1 Input 2 EOF . . exit ------------------------ But is exits the new application after input command 2, I want that it should not exit and accept... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ashish_uiit
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in Lines for Variables

All, I am driving myself crazy over this one. I have run a find command against a volume on a nas. That returns a full listing of path and file name. This is an example of one line of output. I redirected the output of the find command to a file. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bubbwe
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variables to cli curl

I have a script that uses cli curl, and it would be easier if it was possible to pass variables like this: curl -c $cookie -d $data www.********.comThis doesn't work, instead I have to generate a string and use eval. Is there another, easier way to pass variables to cli curl? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: locoroco
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cURL and variables

I have a spent a day with Google trying to figure this one out and have decided its time to ask the experts... I'm running OS X 10.6 I need to use cURL to FTP a file. I have been successful send the file from the command line when I know the filename. My problem is that the filename changes... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmSimplicity
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script accepting password

Hi friends, I am very new to Unix scripting and having some difficulty in my first shell script. I have written a simple shell script to upload an artifact to a remote machine on the network. echo "Uploading the artifact" scp app.war username@remotemochine.domainname.net:/home/deployables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashdeep
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spaces in variables

I'm having a problem with this.... --------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash SPKTAG=" | festival --tts" echo "Welcome to my shell program" "$SPKTAG"; --------------------------------------------------- I have a variable call SPKTAG " | festival --tts" and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending awk variables into curl in a bash script

Hello experts! I have a file1 with the following format (yr,day, month, hour,minute): 201201132435 201202141210 201304132030 201410100110 ... What i want to do is to assign variables and then use them in the curl command to download the text of each event from a web page. What I have... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

HELP - loop a curl command with different variables from input file

Hi guys! Kind of new to bash scripting and now I'm stuck. I need to curl with these variables: "{ \"nodename\": \"$1\", \"ipaddress\": \"$2\", \"poolname\": \"$3\", \"port\": \"$4\", \"loadbalancer\" : \"$5\" }" and my input_file.txt contains server001 10.10.10.01 serverpool1 80... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yort
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script accepting variables in valid number format

Hi Experts I would like to ask if there is a way to validate if the variable passed is in this kind of sample format "06-10" or "10-01". It was really a challenge to me on how to start and echnically the "6-10" stands for "June 10" and "10-01" stands as "October 1", overall it needs to have ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ersan-poguita
3 Replies
SIEVESHELL(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					     SIEVESHELL(1)

NAME
sieveshell - remotely manipulate sieve scripts SYNOPSIS
sieveshell [--user=user] [--authname=authname] [--realm=realm] [--exec=script] server[:port] sieveshell --help DESCRIPTION
sieveshell allows users to manipulate their scripts on a remote server. It works via MANAGESIEVE, a work in progress. The following commands are recognized: list list scripts on server. put <filename> upload script to server. get <name> [<filename>] get script. if no filename display to stdout delete <name> delete script. activate <name> activate script. deactivate deactivate all scripts. OPTIONS
-u user, --user=user The authorization name to request; by default, derived from the authentication credentials. -a authname, --authname=authname The user to use for authentication (defaults to current user). -r realm, --realm=realm The realm to attempt authentication in. -e script, --exec=script Instead of working interactively, run commands from script, and exit when done. REFERENCES
[MANAGESIEVE] Martin, T.; "A Protocol for Remotely Managing Sieve Scripts", draft-ietf-managesieve-03.txt, Mirapoint, Inc.; May 2001, work in progress. AUTHOR
Tim Martin <tmartin@mirapoint.com>, and the rest of the Cyrus team <cyrus-bugs@andrew.cmu.edu>. perl v5.16.3 2014-06-10 SIEVESHELL(1)