Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Shell script to tail a file with unknown numbers Post 303038738 by encrypt_decrypt on Thursday 12th of September 2019 12:06:17 PM
Old 09-12-2019
is there a way to add an option for dynamic input
let's say I want to check for today's date or let's say I need to check for a word or let's say I need to check the number of lines
The thing is ask is dynamic so any input can be taken and applied to the search

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

retain Line numbers.. in Vi .. OR .. A SHELL SCRIPT

Hello everybody ! GOT SOMETHING INTERESTING... I am trying to retain line number for a text document.. usually we get line numbers in VI using :set nu , but I want to permanently store them. It's a 4000 lines of text and I want grep/search it for a list of words/fields stored in a different... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdlayeeq
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add numbers in shell script

cat dailyreports | grep "Important list" | awk -F":" '{print $2}' | awk -F" " '{print $1}' hey guys, after running the above combination of cat and awk, i get the below output: 3 4 2 9 now, i need to add these numbers up all in one line. i dont know what to add to that cat and awk one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I feed numbers from awk(1) to tail(1)?

Hello, I am too daft to remember how to properly feed numbers that I've extracted with awk(1) to tail(1). The actual question is probably a lot more simple than the context, but let me give you the context anyway: I've just received some email that was sent with MS Outlook and arrived in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ropers
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep or Tail in shell script

Hi, I am writing a shell script that checks catalina logs on a production system and mails me if it detects errors. It greps the logs for known errors which i have defined as variables. The problem is the logs are huge, approx 30,000 before they rotate. So I am forced to use grep instead... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I get my script to monitor a new file using tail?

Hi, I have a script which basically watches a log file for new lines using tail, then takes action based on what is logged. I wrote a script to do this for me and its working great, my only problem is that once per week, this log file is archived to another directory, and a new log is created.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lstorm2003
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check numbers!

Hello All, I have 3 types of files. The names of which starts with P,I,M like P********* D********* M********* now I need to do some operations witht hese files.. so if file name starts with P or p then do the operation for P file... fi else (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
20 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculation using awk or shell script in between the numbers

file A E969K D223L E400L E34L file B predicted 3 1 250 251 500 501 1000 The output should be E969K 501 1000 D223L 1 250 E400L 251 500 E34L 1 250 I tried in this way (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to tail file; problem with awk and special characters

Trying to use code that I found to send only new lines out of a log file by doing: while :; do temp=$(tail -1 logfile.out) awk "/$last/{p=1}p" logfile.out #pipe this to log analyzer program last="$temp" sleep 10 done Script works fine when logfile is basic text, but when it contains... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: moo72moo
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to tail -f multi logfile in 1 shell script.?

Hello, How to tail -f multi logfile from multi path in 1 shell script. File & Path /usr/home/localmode/mode110l/log/logic/number110/digit110_digit110m4_2013050210.txt /usr/home/localmode/mode103l/log/logic/number103/digit103_digit103m4_2013050210.txt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell: Count The sum of numbers in a file

Hi all; Here is my file: V1.3=4 V1.4=5 V1.1=3 V1.2=6 V1.3=6 Please, can you help me to write a script shell that counts the sum of values in my file (4+5+3+6+6) ? Thank you so much for help. Kind regards. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
3 Replies
REDO_PREBINDING(1)					      General Commands Manual						REDO_PREBINDING(1)

NAME
redo_prebinding - redo the prebinding of an executable or dynamic library SYNOPSIS
redo_prebinding [-c | -p | -d] [-i] [-z] [-u] [-r rootdir] [-e executable_path] [-seg_addr_table table_file_name] [-seg_addr_table_filename pathname] [-seg1addr address] [-o output_file] [-s] input_file DESCRIPTION
Redo_prebinding is used to redo the prebinding of an executable or dynamic library when one of the dependent dynamic libraries changes. The input file, executable or dynamic library, must have initially been prebound for this program to redo the prebinding. Also all depended libraries must have their prebinding up to date. So when redoing the prebinding for libraries they must be done in dependency order. Also when building executables or dynamic libraries that are to be prebound (with the -prebind options to ld(1) or libtool(1)) the dependent libraries must have their prebinding up to date or the result will not be prebound. The options allow for different types of checking for use in shell scripts. Only one of -c, -p or -d can be used at a time. If redo_pre- binding redoes the prebinding on an input file it will run /usr/bin/objcunique if it exists on the result. OPTIONS
-c only check if the file needs to have it's prebinding redone and return status. A 0 exit means the file's prebinding is up to date, 1 means it needs to be redone and 2 means it could not be checked for reasons like a dependent library is missing (an error message is printed in these cases). -p check only for prebound files and return status. An exit status of 1 means the file is a Mach-O that could have been prebound and is not otherwise the exit status is 0. -d check only for dynamic shared library files and return status. An exit status of 0 means the file is a dynamic shared library, 1 means the file is not, 2 means there is some mix in the architectures. -i ignore non-prebound files (useful when running on all types of files). -z zero out the prebind check sum in the output if it has one. -u unprebind, rather than reprebind (-c, -p, -d, -e ignored). Resets or removes prebinding-specific information from the input file. As unprebinding is intended to produce a canonical Mach-O binary, bundles and non-prebound executables and dylibs are acceptable as input. For these files, the unprebind operation will zero library time stamps and version numbers and zero entries in the two- level hints table. -e executable_path replace any dependent library's "@executable_path" prefix with the executable_path argument. -seg_addr_table table_file_name The -seg_addr_table option is used when the input a dynamic library and if specified the table entry for the install_name of the dynamic library is used for checking and the address to relocate the library to as it prefered address. -seg_addr_table_filename pathname Use pathname instead of the install name of the library for matching an entry in the segment address table. -seg1addr address Move the input library to base address address. This option does not apply when -u, -seg_addr_table or -seg_addr_table_filename are specified. -r rootdir prepend the rootdir argument to all dependent libraries. -o output_file write the updated file into output_file rather than back into the input file. -s write the updated file to standard output DIAGNOSTICS
With no -c, -p or -d an exit status of 0 means success and 2 means it could not be done for reasons like a dependent library is missing (an error message is printed in these cases). And exit of 3 is for the specific case when the dependent libraries are out of date with respect to each other. Apple Computer, Inc. March 29, 2004 REDO_PREBINDING(1)