Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Strange results from 'strings | sort' Post 303038730 by RudiC on Thursday 12th of September 2019 11:13:20 AM
Old 09-12-2019
Look for the "mydb..." lines, then. See if there are any abnormalities. Post a small but relevant excerpt of the output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort find results

Hi-- Ok. I have now found that: find -x -ls will do what I need as far as finding all files on a particular volume. Now I need to sort the results by the file's modification date/time. Is there a way to do that? Also, I notice that for many files, whereas the man for find says ls is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
8 Replies

2. AIX

Strange ls results..

Multipart question.. Can anybody explain why this happens : -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1531061 Feb 13 21:45 filename1.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1760706 Feb 10 22:10 filename2.log -rw-rw-r-- 1 fnsw fnusr 1525805 Aug 16 2005 filename3.log -rw-rw-r-- 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbridle
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange Results

I am using th following to get the percentage and have never used bc before: percent=$(echo "scale=4;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.884600 percent=$(echo "scale=2;(34117/384000)*100" | bc) 8.00 Why do I get the results of 8.00 instead of 8.88 when using a scale of 2. I only want 2 decimal... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariaa33
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sort command - strange behaviour

Hi guys, I have the following example data: A;00:00:19 B;00:01:02 C;00:00:13 D;00:00:16 E;00:02:27 F;00:00:12 G;00:00:21 H;00:00:19 I;00:00:13 J;00:13:22 I run the following sort against it, yet the output is as follows: sort -t";" +1 -nr example_data.dat A;00:00:19 (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: miwinter
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange results from FDISK?????

Hi all, I am writing script that returns the size of each disk or partition when called. I am using FDISK -l and parsing the results to get the result I want. When I execute fdisk -l it shows correct results, BUT when I execute the same thing with results to be put in a variable, I get strange... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alirezan
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sort folder results

Here is the code, but the list is not sorted properly (alphabetically)? <?php function folderlist(){ $startdir = './'; $ignoredDirectory = '.'; $ignoredDirectory = '..'; if (is_dir($startdir)){ if ($dh = opendir($startdir)){ while (($folder = readdir($dh)) !== false){ if... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort find results

Hi, I have a problem with a shell script. The script should find all .cpp and .h files and list them. With: for file in `find $src -name '*.h' -o -name '*.cpp' it gives out this: H:\FileList\A\E\F\G\newCppFile.cpp H:\FileList\header01.h H:\FileList\B\nextCppFile.cpp ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellBeginner75
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsync in progress, strange results

Disclaimer, I've been a Linux admin for a while but don't frequently setup rsysnc jobs. Here's the command I'm running on CentOS 5.5, rsync 2.6.8: rsync -arvz --progress --compress-level=9 /src/ /dest/ /src has 1.5 TB of data, /dest/ is a new destination and started out empy. Oh ya, both... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: DustinT
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find with rm command gives strange results

I want to remove any files that are older than 2 days from a directory. It deletes those files. Then it comes back with a message it is a directory. What am I doing wrong here? + find /mydir -mtime +2 -exec rm -f '{}' ';' rm: /mydir is a directory (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jtamminen
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Strange sort -r results

Hi Folks - I have this file that looks like this: outbox/logs/Client_1042.log outbox/logs/Client_941.log outbox/logs/Client_942.log outbox/logs/Client_943.log outbox/logs/Client_944.log And this is my code: #!/bin/bash _OUTBOX_BIN="outbox/logs/" _NAME="Client" _TEMP="temp.txt"... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: SIMMS7400
9 Replies
fmt(1)							      General Commands Manual							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - format text SYNOPSIS
width] [file...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the width option. The default width is 72. concatenates the arguments. If none are given, formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. does not fill lines beginning with a period for compatibility with Nor does it fill lines starting with Indentation is preserved in the output and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless is used). can also be used as an in-line text filter for the command: reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. Options recognizes the following options: Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such "formatted" text, from being unduly combined. Fill output lines to up to width columns. WARNINGS
The width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1). fmt(1)