Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) How can I direct messages from mac console.app to a log file? Post 303038443 by dallas88 on Tuesday 3rd of September 2019 09:22:48 AM
Old 09-03-2019
How can I direct messages from mac console.app to a log file?

I'm trying to complete a bash script to capture if an external webcam is active in a video conference session. Some users will switch the camera to the built-in MAC camera. When this happens I want to trigger a set of events.

Things tried: reviewed the console.app to look for patterns on when the switch occurs in a user test & discovered messages indicating when the facetime camera changes state. I found this

Code:
019-08-31 22:59:57.387405 -0500 AppleCameraInterface default 0 22:59:57.387405 -0500 kernel AppleCamIn::power_on_hardware

2019-08-31 22:59:57.814936 -0500 AppleCameraAssistant default 438 22:59:57.814936 -0500 AppleCameraAssistant StartHardwareStream: creating frame receiver: 1280 x 720 (420v) [12.00,30.00]fps

2019-08-31 22:59:59.679037 -0500 AppleCameraAssistant default 438 22:59:59.679037 -0500 AppleCameraAssistant StopHardwareStream 2019-08-31 22:59:59.809252 -0500 AppleCameraInterface default 0 22:59:59.809252 -0500 kernel AppleCamIn::power_off_hardware

I thought I could simply grep these message from the console.app but it seems to be easier said than done. I thought i could find the msgs in one of the console report files but When I look at the various reports on the console, i'm not finding a report that contains the messages above. How can I direct messages from console.app to a log file versus manually copying and pasting the info from the console?or point me to a direction? Am I missing something?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Re-direct the error msg to log file

Hi All, I have an expression as follows:- a=`expr ${i} + ${j}` >> $log_file 2>&1 Here, if any of the values i or j or both happens to be empty then the "expr" returns error as "expr: 0402-050 Syntax error." My problem is I am not able to re-direct this error to the log file. Its is getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rony_daniel
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Direct the output of a script to a log file

Hi, I have a script to compare 2 files. file1=$1 file2=$2 num_of_records_file1=`awk ' END { print NR } ' $file1` num_of_records_file2=`awk ' END { print NR } ' $file2` i=1 while do sed -n "$i"p $file1 > file1_temp sed -n "$i"p $file2 > file2_temp diff file1_temp... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: autosys_nm
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Set default app for file type on Mac

Hi there, We have 2 apps on our customers machines that can both open files with the same file extension. Is there any way via shell commands to set which application should be the default? Essentially, I'm hoping to replicate Get Info > Open With > Change All using a shell script, but I just... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: davewg
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Mac .sh to run command line app in seperate terminal

Hello, currently we are executing a .sh from terminal. The current .sh looks like this: #!/usr/bin/env bash /Users/user/my.app/Contents/MacOS/my & -- Now, we also need to run a third line in the .sh - It's a command line application that I need to run when I execute the above .sh... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyoyo777
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

re-direct to log file

#!/bin/ksh -x cd /tmp/tj ftp -n servername.com << DONE user username password as put test.log quit close DONE echo "testing..." sh -x scriptname, and it shows all, but username, as, put, quit, close, DONE. how can i see those ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating sed Direct Input to Direct Output

Hi guys, been scratching round the forums and my mountain of resources. Maybe I havn't read deep enough My question is not how sed edits a stream and outputs it to a file, rather something like this below: I have a .txt with some text in it :rolleyes: abc:123:xyz 123:abc:987... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: the0nion
7 Replies

7. Cybersecurity

Best practice to allow 3rd party app to read messages file.

What is the best practice to allow a 3rd party health monitoring app to read the messages file. Since messages is a system file and is owned by root the app cannot read the file. I don't want to run the app as root so how should I allow the app to read the file. The read function is actually built... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slwiley
2 Replies
BOOTLOGD(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual					       BOOTLOGD(8)

NAME
bootlogd - record boot messages SYNOPSIS
/sbin/bootlogd [-c] [-d] [-r] [-s] [-v] [ -l logfile ] [ -p pidfile ] DESCRIPTION
Bootlogd runs in the background and copies all strings sent to the /dev/console device to a logfile. If the logfile is not accessible, the messages will be kept in memory until it is. OPTIONS
-d Do not fork and run in the background. -c Attempt to write to the logfile even if it does not yet exist. Without this option, bootlogd will wait for the logfile to appear before attempting to write to it. This behavior prevents bootlogd from creating logfiles under mount points. -r If there is an existing logfile called logfile rename it to logfile~ unless logfile~ already exists. -s Ensure that the data is written to the file after each line by calling fdatasync(3). This will slow down a fsck(8) process running in parallel. -v Show version. -l logfile Log to this logfile. The default is /var/log/boot. -p pidfile Put process-id in this file. The default is no pidfile. BUGS
Bootlogd works by redirecting the console output from the console device. (Consequently bootlogd requires PTY support in the kernel con- figuration.) It copies that output to the real console device and to a log file. There is no standard way of ascertaining the real con- sole device if you have a new-style /dev/console device (major 5, minor 1) so bootlogd parses the kernel command line looking for con- sole=... lines and deduces the real console device from that. If that syntax is ever changed by the kernel, or a console type is used that bootlogd does not know about then bootlogd will not work. AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl SEE ALSO
dmesg(8),fdatasync(3). Jul 21, 2003 BOOTLOGD(8)