Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers How to assign a value to a variable in awk scripting? Post 303038175 by bhagya123 on Tuesday 27th of August 2019 12:29:46 PM
Old 08-27-2019
How to assign a value to a variable in awk scripting?

Hi,

I am trying to assign a value using below command and it is assigning the command to the variable not the output of the command?

Code:
out_value="echo $0 | cut -c 9-11";

How can i assign the output to the variable instead of whole command?

This is inside my awk script

Last edited by Don Cragun; 08-28-2019 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: Add CODE tags, again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign a printf value to a variable

Is there any way to something like this?: variable=printf("%30s",var1) Thx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign value to variable using AWK

Dear Friends I have text file as like below, AAAAA|BHBHBH|VERYSMART AAAAA| KKKKKK|GOOD BBBBBB|JJJJJJJ|VERYGOOD CCCCC|HJHJHJ|BETTER CCCCC|UUUUU|GOOD i need to split into seperate files based on column 1 like as below AAAAA.TXT contains -------------------- BHBHBH.VERYSMART... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAA
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign o/p of awk to a variable

:confused: Hi UNIX gurus, I am facing a typical problem while assigining while assigining output of awk to a variable. I have a fixed length file say myinputfile.txt When I allow the value/output of an awk to be redirected to a file, it works fine. i.e. awk "/^.{232}$acctNum/ {... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: c2b2
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable

hi i want to find the size of a folder and assign it to a variable and then compare if it is greater than 1 gb. i am doin this script, but it is throwing error.... #!/bin/ksh cd . | du -s | size = awk '{print $1}' if size >= 112000 then echo size high fi ERROR : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable with awk

I launch 'netstat -a', if string 'ESTABLISHED' found, then VAR=1 #!/bin/bash VAR=0; netstat -a | awk '$6 ~ /ESTABLISHED/ {VAR=1}' I cannot find the right syntax. thanx guys! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpagon
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign awk gsub result to a variable

Hello, I have searched but failed to find what exactly im looking for, I need to eliminate first "." in a output so i can use something like the following echo "./abc/20141127" | nawk '{gsub("^.","");print}' what i want is to use gsub result later on, how could i achieve it? Let say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EAGL€
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies
processor_sets(4)					     Kernel Interfaces Manual						 processor_sets(4)

NAME
processor_sets - Collections of processors DESCRIPTION
A processor set is a collection of processors. When a processor set is first created, it does not contain any processors. You can add processors to a processor set, remove processors from a processor set, and also destroy the processor set. In addition, you can assign specific processes to a processor set. When the system is booted, all its processors are assigned to the default processor set. Each processor in a system can be a member of only one processor set at one time. In addition, when you create a process, it is assigned to a processor set. Unless you indicate a specific processor set, a process is assigned to the default processor set. A process can execute only on an processor that is included in the processor set to which the process is assigned. If you assign a process to an empty processor set, it will not execute until a processor is assigned to the processor set or until the process is assigned to another processor set. Use the pset_create command or the create_pset function to create a processor set. When you first create a processor set, it does not con- tain any processors. Use the pset_assign_cpu command or the assign_cpu_to_pset function to assign processors to a specific processor set. When you assign a processor to a specific processor set, the processor is removed from its current processor set. Use the pset_destroy command or the destroy_pset function to destroy a processor set. Processors that belong to a destroyed processor set are assigned to the default processor set. Use the pset_assign_pid command or the assign_pid_to_pset function to assign a process to a specific processor set. In addition, you can request that a process has exclusive access to a processor set. If a process has exclusive access to a processor set, no other process is able to use that processor set. If a process has exclusive access to a processor set, that access will be cleared automatically when the process exits. Note that if a process is already assigned to a processor set, a request for exclusive access to that processor set will be denied. Use the pset_info command to display the status of each processor set on the system as well as the status of each processor. You must be root to create and destroy processor sets and to assign a processor to a processor set. Processor set creation and destruction and processor assignments to processor sets are logged in the /var/adm/wtmp file. FILES
/var/adm/wtmp RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: pset_create(1), pset_destroy(1), pset_info(1), pset_assign_pid(1), pset_assign_cpu(1), runon(1), psrinfo(1), psradm(8) Functions: assign_pid_to_pset(3), assign_cpu_to_pset(3), create_pset(3), destroy_pset(3) delim off processor_sets(4)