Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Banner Countdown Timer
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Banner Countdown Timer Post 303038133 by MadeInGermany on Monday 26th of August 2019 01:26:45 PM
Old 08-26-2019
The following runs with ksh or bash:
Code:
SEC=10; while (( SEC -= 1 )); do clear; ~tool/bin/banner " $SEC"; sleep 1; done

If your OS ships without a banner program, download and compile one!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script - loop to countdown

I am taking a class in UNIX and have written a script that needs to countdown from a number that is read in from the keyboard to zero. If no number is given the start of the countdown should default to 10. I can't get this to do the default #! /bin/sh echo Enter a number here to countdown... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: froggwife
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

countdown in unix?

is there a script to preform a countdown from 10 seconds to 0? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

countdown to christmas

was wondering if there was a script that would countdiwn the days until christmas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop! (the countdown!) :-) shell script help

Hi guys, I've found two nifty little scripts on these forums one which detects if the F5 key has been pressed: #/bin/sh _key() { local kp ESC=$'\e' _KEY= read -d '' -sn1 _KEY case $_KEY in "$ESC") while read -d '' -sn1 -t1 kp do _KEY=$_KEY$kp ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone know of any FUN countdown script

Hi all, Does anyone know of any FUN countdown script that I can use for my script? At the moment, am just using sleep 10 or more and then print stuff into the screen to allow more time for the user to decide whether they want to continue running the script or abort? Just thought of wanting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - countdown timer

Hello, I have another problem with my script - I would like to have a countdown timer visible on the screen, and at the same time, I want te be able to do something else. And when the time runs out, I need to know about that inside the script somehow and do some action. I guess that would require 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script countdown

In the below bash when the perl is it possible to hide the commands from running on screen and display a process countdown? For example, on the cygwin screen now the user sees each process in the command running as running protocol refGene, running protocol popfreq_all, etc... Could a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Countdown timer with seconds

I would like this to work with seconds as well. #!/bin/bash # if ; then echo "Incorrect usage ! Example:" echo './CountDown.sh -d "Jun 10 2011 16:06"' echo 'or' echo './CountDown.sh -m 90' exit 1 fi now=`date +%s` if ; then until=`date -d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies
Xacobeo::Timer(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Xacobeo::Timer(3pm)

NAME
Xacobeo::Timer - A custom made timer. SYNOPSIS
use Xacobeo::Timer; # As a one time use my $timer = Xacobeo::Timer->start("Long operation"); do_long_operation(); $timer->elapsed(); # Displays the time elapsed # A simple stop watch (the destructor displays the time elapsed) my $TIMER = Xacobeo::Timer->new("Method calls"); sub hotspot { $TIMER->start(); # Very slow stuff here $TIMER->stop(); } DESCRIPTION
This package provides a very simple timer. This timer is used for finding hot spots in the application. The timer is quite simple it provides the method "start" that starts the timer and the method "stop" that stops the timer and accumulates the elapsed time. The method "show" can be used to print the time elapsed so far while the method "elapsed" returns the time elapsed so far. When an instance of this class dies (because it was undefed or collected by the garbage collector) the builtin Perl desctrutor will automatically call the method "show". But if the method show or elapsed was called during the lifetime of the instance then the destructor will not invoke the method show. METHODS
The package defines the following methods: new Creates a new Timer. Parameters: o $name (Optional) The name of the timer. start Starts the timer. If this sub is called without a blessed instance then a new Timer will be created. Parameters: o $name (optional) The name is used only when called without a blessed instance. stop Stops the timer and adds accumulates the elapsed time. If the timer wasn't started previously this results in a no-op. show Prints the elapsed time. This method stops the timer if it was started previously and wasn't stopped. elapsed Returns the total time elapsed so far. If the timer was already started the pending time will not be taking into account. AUTHORS
Emmanuel Rodriguez <potyl@cpan.org>. COPYRIGHT AND LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2008,2009 by Emmanuel Rodriguez. This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself, either Perl version 5.8.8 or, at your option, any later version of Perl 5 you may have available. perl v5.14.2 2011-11-16 Xacobeo::Timer(3pm)