Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Banner Countdown Timer
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Banner Countdown Timer Post 303038133 by MadeInGermany on Monday 26th of August 2019 01:26:45 PM
Old 08-26-2019
The following runs with ksh or bash:
Code:
SEC=10; while (( SEC -= 1 )); do clear; ~tool/bin/banner " $SEC"; sleep 1; done

If your OS ships without a banner program, download and compile one!

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

shell script - loop to countdown

I am taking a class in UNIX and have written a script that needs to countdown from a number that is read in from the keyboard to zero. If no number is given the start of the countdown should default to 10. I can't get this to do the default #! /bin/sh echo Enter a number here to countdown... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: froggwife
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

countdown in unix?

is there a script to preform a countdown from 10 seconds to 0? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JamieMurry
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

countdown to christmas

was wondering if there was a script that would countdiwn the days until christmas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trob
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stop! (the countdown!) :-) shell script help

Hi guys, I've found two nifty little scripts on these forums one which detects if the F5 key has been pressed: #/bin/sh _key() { local kp ESC=$'\e' _KEY= read -d '' -sn1 _KEY case $_KEY in "$ESC") while read -d '' -sn1 -t1 kp do _KEY=$_KEY$kp ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rich@ardz
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Anyone know of any FUN countdown script

Hi all, Does anyone know of any FUN countdown script that I can use for my script? At the moment, am just using sleep 10 or more and then print stuff into the screen to allow more time for the user to decide whether they want to continue running the script or abort? Just thought of wanting... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - countdown timer

Hello, I have another problem with my script - I would like to have a countdown timer visible on the screen, and at the same time, I want te be able to do something else. And when the time runs out, I need to know about that inside the script somehow and do some action. I guess that would require 2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xqwzts
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script countdown

In the below bash when the perl is it possible to hide the commands from running on screen and display a process countdown? For example, on the cygwin screen now the user sees each process in the command running as running protocol refGene, running protocol popfreq_all, etc... Could a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
0 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Countdown timer with seconds

I would like this to work with seconds as well. #!/bin/bash # if ; then echo "Incorrect usage ! Example:" echo './CountDown.sh -d "Jun 10 2011 16:06"' echo 'or' echo './CountDown.sh -m 90' exit 1 fi now=`date +%s` if ; then until=`date -d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
7 Replies
ATTIMER(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						ATTIMER(4)

NAME
attimer -- i8254 Programmable Interval Timer (AT Timer) driver SYNOPSIS
This driver is a mandatory part of x86 kernels. The following tunables are settable from the loader(8): hint.attimer.X.clock controls support for the event timer functionality. Setting this value to 0 disables it. The default value is 1. hint.attimer.X.timecounter controls support for the time counter functionality. Setting this value to 0 disables it. The default value is 1. hw.i8254.freq allows overriding the default counter frequency. The same value is also available at run-time via the machdep.i8254_freq sysctl. DESCRIPTION
This driver uses i8254 Programmable Interval Timer (AT Timer) hardware to supply the kernel with one timecounter and one event timer, and to generate sound tones for the system speaker. This hardware includes three channels. Each channel includes a 16 bit counter which decreases with a known, platform-dependent frequency. Counters can operate in several different modes, including periodic and one-shot. The output of each channel has platform-defined wiring: one channel is wired to the interrupt controller and may be used as event timer, one channel is wired to the speaker and used to generate sound tones, and one timer is reserved for platform purposes. The attimer driver uses a single hardware channel to provide both time counter and event timer functionality. To make this possible, the respective counter must be running in periodic mode. As a result, the one-shot event timer mode is supported only when time counter func- tionality is disabled. The event timer provided by the driver is irrelevant to CPU power states. SEE ALSO
apic(4), atrtc(4), eventtimers(4), hpet(4), timecounters(4) BSD
May 26, 2014 BSD