Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Syntax error: `]' unexpected
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Syntax error: `]' unexpected Post 303037947 by apmcd47 on Monday 19th of August 2019 05:44:56 AM
Old 08-19-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokedude
This is for my .profile file. ksh is my default and I want it to switch to bash.
I gave you a pointer in your previous thread on this subject. Forcing a shell to source the .bashrc file does not turn it into bash. Your default shell when logging in will be in the $SHELL variable (unless somebody knows better). So if you cannot change your default shell to bash try something like this at the end of your .profile:
Code:
case "$SHELL" in
*bash) . ./.bashrc ;;
*ksh) 
   for b in /bin/bash /usr/bin/bash /usr/local/bin/bash
   do
      if [ -x "$b" ]
      then
         SHELL=$b
         export SHELL
         exec $SHELL
      fi
   done
   . .kshrc
   ;;
esac
. ./.kshrc ;;
esac

Andrew

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sh: syntax error: `...' unexpected???

Hello all, I want to create a script that polls every hour a directory for the existence of a file. The file I look for is a `token` dropped by an external process at the completion of a successful FTP process. I wrote this script `checkfile.ksh`: #!/usr/bin/ksh if ] then mailx... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

unexpected syntax error

Hi, i am getting following syntax error ...kingly advice why is it coming ?? #!/bin/bash find . -name "common.log" if ; then echo "1" fi Himnashu@home /bin $ ./a.sh ./a.sh: line 7: syntax error near unexpected token `fi' ./a.sh: line 7: `fi' (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token `('

Guys , This is an output of my script errored out for "Syntax error near unexpected token `(' " Can someone tell me whats wrong with my script. Below is my original script pasted. #!/bin/bash Script Creation Date 01/21/2010 Author baraghun ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghunsi
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

syntax error near unexpected token '{

Hi, I am running the following script through cygwin and getting below mentioned error. ******************************************* #!/bin/sh # constants WORK_DIR="deploy" INFOFILE="deploy.info" INTROFILE="Intro.sh" CMGMT_PKG="com.kintana.cmgmt.deploy" DEPLOY_PREFIX="mitg" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MandyR
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error: `$' unexpected

Hi all, Am very new to Unix and am currently Involved in Migrating some Shell Scripts from AIX 4 to Solaris 10. While using teh for loop am getting the below error: $ echo $SHELL /usr/bin/ksh $ for file in $(ls *SEBE*) syntax error: `$' unexpected while the same works without issue on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkhanore
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token `}' please help

I'm going mad not being able to get this to work. im assuming its only a simple mistake but its driving me bonkers trying to find it. Please if you can help me it would save me pulling my hair out!! Thanks #!/bin/bash -xv # #Config name="TEST Server" + name='TEST Server'... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fisheh
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token `else'

Hi, I am trying to read the session log through script. But it keeps showing me some error near. I have tried everything. Even tried converting the script using sed command to remove the hidden characters(\r).But nothing seems to be working.Below is the script : #!/bin/bash cd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aryan12345
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error: 'fi' unexpected

unzip file.zip if ] ; then echo "Success" else echo "Some failure." fi ; I tried many time to detect the unzip error, but it keep show the syntax error wherever how I change the syntac. Hope someone can help me fix the issue, thanks. Please use code tags next time for your code and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: duncanyy
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error `(' unexpected

I have written this in my script but while running i am getting syntax error `(' unexpected. unload to "$BACKUP_DIR/n_fac_fid-$clliname" select * from n_fac_fid where fac_accesskey in (select fac_accesskey From n_fac_ap_fid where ap_clli="$clliname"); Any help appreciated. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanmi
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Syntax error near unexpected token

Dears, While executing the below script im getting the error at line 30. Please let me know what changes to be done to fix this. test.sh: line 30: syntax error near unexpected token `done' test.sh: line 30: ` done ' #!/bin/sh # Rev. PA1 # author: eillops # date: 26-04-2018 # #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Kamesh G
1 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)