Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shellscripting -z option
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shellscripting -z option Post 303037905 by cokedude on Friday 16th of August 2019 04:40:34 PM
Old 08-16-2019
Shellscripting -z option

Can someone explain the -z option in shellscripting.

I did this. When I was in both ksh and bash it echoed back hi.

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

if [ -z "$BASH_VERSION" ]
then
    echo hi

fi

When I echoed $BASH_VERSION in bash it gave a version. When I echoed $BASH_VERSION in ksh it was blank.

I thought -z was only true if the length of the string is 0? This is what my man page says.

Code:
-z string = True if the length of the string is 0.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shellscripting question

I have been “commissioned” to write a shellscript to automate Oracle cold refeshes.. right now we perform about 20 refresh each 300gb in size which takes up our time. my goal is to write a shellscript which can be executed by a user on serverA to refresh any of the 7 databases on ServerA. I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jigarlakhani
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running SQLPLUS from Shellscripting ...

Hi guys, I am facing issues while triggering sqlplus with "/" option I can connect to database with USER ID and password. but, if i just specify "/" option since it is "externally identiifed user" it doesn't work Any suggestions? mail me @ Removed. Regards, Giri (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chittari
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to shellscripting....need some help!

I have 3 shell scripts below.... I need to write a command line parser for these 3 utilities. basically the parser will accept ANY number of commands in this syntax -r = right -f = findtext -c = count so you do something like mu.s -r 3 4 5 -f hello goodbye.txt -c *.c -h 5 4 3 right... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TurboArkhan
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

recently introduced to the newer option for find...does an older option exist?

To find all the files in your home directory that have been edited in some way since the last tar file, use this command: find . -newer backup.tar.gz Is anyone familiar with an older solution? looking to identify files older then 15mins across several directories. thanks, manny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

New to shellscripting error: ./emailnotifications.sh: line 43: [: FH: integer expression expected

Hi , I'm a beginner in unix shell scripting need help in rectifying an error Source file :test.txt with Header ------ ----- Trailer ex: FH201010250030170000000000000000 abc def jke abr ded etf FE2 I was validating whether the header begin... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dudd9
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timeout in shellscripting

#!/bin/sh for ip in $(cat /root/Desktop/ftp.txt) do HOST=$ip USER='bob' PASS='bob' ftp -n $HOST <<EOF user bob bob EOF echo "$ip" done the Above code i want to use check and verify login works on multiple ftp servers on my network. However the ftp servers are dynamic in setup... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Noledge
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

shellscripting to edit xml file

I have an xml file where every line which has the word CDATA in it follows this pattern (line number) <word1><!]></>I need only these lines editing so that the end result is that (line number) <word1><!]></word1>so it copies the first bit to the end. Anyone know how I can do this I am... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: legolad
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

small error in shellscripting -archival part

Hi All, I have run the below script but getting one small error. please help me to solve this. ERROR: tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors CODE: #! /bin/bash CEP=/home/user01/exercise/CEP ARCH=/home/user01/exercise/archive LOG=/home/user01/exercise/logs... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
3 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)