Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Multiboot problem with Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD 11 & Solaris 10 Post 303037747 by hicksd8 on Monday 12th of August 2019 11:53:14 AM
Old 08-12-2019
You should install Solaris first because its install routine always writes its own bootloader and will overwrite any bootloader written down by a Linux distro.

Last edited by hicksd8; 08-12-2019 at 01:05 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to hicksd8 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiboot problem Help plz??

I have installed Win98 OS .......1st then RH7.2 with GRUB bootloader okay i.e in the Grub there is two choices 1-Linux 2-Dos also I install bootloader of linux in MBR -master boot record- when select Linux an error : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FREEBSD to SLACKWARE COnversion

Hi I got a dedicated system for UNIX now- Right, I installed FREEBSD and could not get a program to work due to In Compatability. So I got files for SLACKWARE installed on my XP machine- I transferred them to the FREEBSD Partition. I have 2 more linux partitions and a Linux swap... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: TiGerUK2002
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Creative Dxr3 dvd-card & FreeBSD

Has any1 get Dxr3 working, it looks like its not supported by hardware list but there supposed to be unofficial drivers for bsd... but the link is dead. And i wondered if any1 has it working (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sputnick
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FreeBSD & Red Hat

Hi, I'm a total new beginner to Unix! :confused: I am currently looking to move a website I own from my existing web hosts to Rackspace. My website currently runs from a server using the FreeBSD UNIX variant operating system but Rackspace seem to think if I move it to them I can still run... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: duffbeer
2 Replies

5. Solaris

AIX & Solaris 10 problem

I have this command in my script and it's working fine with AIX: ls init?*.ora 2>/dev/null | egrep -i -e "" the same command is failing in Solaris 10. does anyone have better idea how to make it work for both ? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

6. Solaris

problem network with solaris 10 & vmware

Hello The first sorry for mi bad english I install a solaris 10 on vmware. I follow the steps to configure the network, but i can't do work :( I follow the next steps: # vi hosts "hosts" 6 líneas, 82 caracteres # # Internet host table # ::1 localhost loghost workshop ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: capilla
10 Replies

7. Slackware

Slackware router problem

I have a Slackware box that I've set up as a router for my home network. It does that and zoneminder and that's pretty much it. It's worked fine for a few years doing this until today. Today the power went out and the UPS could only keep this machine up for about 45 mins before it ran out of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orsty9001
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Problem with scientific Linux multiboot

Hello, I have a multi-boot system with windows and openSuse. The boot loader is from Suse and the menu worked fine. Today I installed Scientific Linux and am having trouble with the boot loader. The SL install is on a different drive than the windows and Suse. As is typical, the SL installer has... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Multiboot on a laptop: windows Solaris Linux

Hi Just want to share.... Multiboot: winlinsos; June 2016 Lenovo x230, 4GB - No internal DVD driver I have # fdisk -l Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes, 234441648 sectors Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: van12
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Multiboot problem with Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD 11 & Solaris 10

I want to install Slackware 14.2, FreeBSD and Solaris 10 on a p4 machine but multiboot is not working as lilo overwrites grub and btx boot loader can't detect others. I had to boot slackware and Solaris with the installation disc for a good number of times. I installed all boot loaders on MBR. The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies
ELILO(8)                                                      System Manager's Manual                                                     ELILO(8)

NAME
elilo - install EFI boot loader SYNOPSIS
elilo [options] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the elilo command, which was written specifically for the Debian distribution to simplify configuring and using the elilo.efi bootloader. There are two parts to elilo, the bootloader itself and this utility which installs or updates a bootload configuration. The primary function of elilo is to copy files necessary for booting Debian GNU/Linux from the main filesystem to a subdirectory /EFI/debian on the boot partition. These include elilo.efi, elilo.conf, and the kernel and ramdisk images referenced by elilo.conf. In addition, elilo can create a default configuration file, /etc/elilo.conf, and can invoke efibootmgr to create an entry in the EFI Boot Manager menu such that a system will autoboot in to Debian GNU/Linux on power up. elilo requires a couple of extra parameters in elilo.conf that elio.efi does not currently support. These are needed so that a normal run of elilo with no parameters can find the elilo.efi binary and boot partition in order to rebuild it. They are: install=<path to elilo.efi> boot=<boot partition> OPTIONS
This program follows the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). -b, --boot set bootstrap partition device [ -b /dev/sda1 ] -i, --install pathname to the actual bootloader binary, default: /usr/{local/}lib/elilo/elilo.efi -C, --config use alternate configuration file [ -C config_file ] --autoconf auto-generate a /etc/elilo.conf. Typically only used during system installation. In normal use, an elilo.conf file already exists and will not be modified by elilo. --efiboot elilo auto configuration: create an efi boot manager entry for elilo. This option requires that the efibootmgr package also be installed. --timeout elilo auto configuration: sets the time elilo will wait for user input before booting default image default: 20 (2 seconds) --image elilo auto configuration: sets the path to the kernel image. default: /vmlinuz --label elilo auto configuration: sets the image label default: Linux --root elilo auto configuration: sets the root device default: /dev/sda3 --format create a new FAT filesystem on the boot partition. Use this cautiously if you have more than one operating system installed, and they may be sharing the same EFI partition! -v, --verbose make elilo more verbose --debug print boring junk only useful for debugging -h, --help display this help and exit -V, --version output version information and exit FILES
/etc/elilo.conf /usr/lib/elilo/elilo.efi SEE ALSO
efibootmgr(8) Additional information about elilo is available in the /usr/share/doc/elilo directory. AUTHOR
The elilo program and this manual page were written by Richard Hirst <rhirst@linuxcare.com> and Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com> as additions to the elilo bootloader package from Stephane Eranian <eranian@hpl.hp.com> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). 18 Mar 2002 ELILO(8)