Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot Post 303037709 by vbe on Saturday 10th of August 2019 05:36:47 AM
Old 08-10-2019
I wonder if its not to do with some untested hardware issue since apple using intel processors seem to have changed regularly the inners, things less current when under powerPC ( I still have 2 of them...). I am trying to figure out what in high sierra can make my powerbook pro of 2011 over heat... ( because I burnt my motherboard (graphics...) beginning July ) or go berserk from time to time, I have just assembled a new one but this time a late 2011 motherboard after buying a 2012 for later usage, and again it reaches over 40 C after 15 minutes not doing anything special, the 2012 is already in mojave but so far not much time to play with as still sick and just finished a 3 weeks antibiotics treatment... but into as I dont know anything about the inners of the Mac Pro and mac mini but if like the laptops I would not be surprised... Not insisting for now as we have a heat wave passing just now and was 34C yesterday ( last time it was 36C here...) Monday 25C announced so I will try again...
AS now Im using my wife's ( my ex-hospital usage laptop...) Macbook air which is now under Mojave and am surprised that it stays cool doing exactly the same thing and yes it does heat when I start heavy usage but never like the Macbook pro which can exceed 45 after only 15 minutes when I use it seriously...
My idea was to investigate on the heating control, could it be faulty for my old HW and so not reacting in time? as like you before burning it did crash a few times without to me any reason and I could not see anything in the logs explaining except a panic but can't find the cause...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Catalina Analysis

How can I make analysis for catalina.out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 crashes upon boot after TUN driver installed

Hey! I compiled TUN 1.1 driver on my Solaris 10 64bit, and everything was working fine, all the commands for installation were successfull (add_drv, devfsadm -i tun ... etc.) and the driver was working fine as I got OpenVPN server up and running with successful clients attached. My only problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Log Rotation of Catalina.out

Hi, Recently i received a request to rotate logs of catalina.out (tomcat). The file size was about 807 MB. I used logadm to truncate the log ( -c ) and zip (-z 0) it. Everything worked fine, catalina.out.0.gz was created (22 MB) and the size of original catalina.out became 0kb. After... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Montioring Script Tomcat catalina.out

Hi, I need to monitor the tomcat log file called "Catalina.out" for any errors like out of memory,JDBC exceptions,broken pipe any other errors and exceptions The script should monitor this file and send a mail instantly and create a text file with errors day to day. Iam using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaithanyaa
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) switches from bash to zsh

Interestingly Apple has decided to switch the default shell for new users from bash to zsh in MacOS Catalina (10.15) Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support Another interesting fact is that Catalina also comes with /bin/dash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
5 Replies

6. Programming

Python Screen Capture of RIGOL 1054Z on macOS Catalina Using NI-VISA

On the NI-VISA boards there has been some frustration where folks cannot get NI-VISA to work on macOS Catalina because Catalina (macOS 10.15.x) is "not supported" by NI-VISA (for many months, it seems). Currently, the README shows: NI-VISA 19.0 for macOS supports the following platforms: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Poor Windows 10 Performance of Parallels Desktop 15 on macOS Catalina

Just a quick note for macOS users. I just installed (and removed) Parallels Desktop 15 Edition on my MacPro (2013) with 64GB memory and 12-cores, which is running the latest version of macOS Catalina as of this post. The reason for this install was to test some RIGOL test gear software which... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Warning! Upgrade to Catalina 10.15.3 Crashes MacPro (2013) - Will Not Boot !

WARNING! Just upgraded my MacPro (2013) from Catalina 10.15.2 to 10.15.3. After the routine download and restart for upgrade installation, the Mac would not boot. Totally crashed. Now, I'm in the process of a 15 hour restore from my last time machine backup. I'm not very happy with... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Programming

A Slightly Better NTP Client for the ESP32 (ESPWROOM32) on macOS Catalina

Currently have two ESP8266 modules testing some Blynk apps, whereI'm not so happy with the Blynk business model for developers, but that's another story. So, with two of my ESP8266s currently "busy", I decided to work on the ESP32, and in particular the ESPWROOM32. I installed the... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15.2 Catalina display crash and system panic

MacPro (2013) 12-Core, 64GB RAM (today's crash): panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f8b333ad5): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from com.apple.WindowServer in 120 seconds service: com.apple.logd, total successful checkins since load (318824 seconds ago): 31883, last successful... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
REDHAT-UPGRADE-TOOL(8)					  redhat-upgrade-tool User Manual				    REDHAT-UPGRADE-TOOL(8)

NAME
redhat-upgrade-tool - Red Hat Upgrade tool SYNOPSIS
redhat-upgrade-tool [OPTIONS] SOURCE DESCRIPTION
redhat-upgrade-tool is the Red Hat Upgrade tool. The redhat-upgrade-tool client runs on the system to be upgraded. It determines what packages are needed for upgrade and gathers them from the source(s) given. It also fetches and sets up the boot images needed to run the upgrade and sets up the system to perform the upgrade at next boot. The actual upgrade takes place when the system is rebooted, using the boot images set up by redhat-upgrade-tool. The upgrade initrd starts the existing system (mostly) as normal, lets it mount all the local filesystems, then starts the upgrade. When the upgrade finishes, it reboots the system into the newly-upgraded OS. OPTIONS
Optional arguments -h, --help Show a help message and exit. -v, --verbose Print more info. -d, --debug Print lots of debugging info. --debuglog DEBUGLOG Write debugging output to the given file. Defaults to /var/log/redhat-upgrade-tool.log. --reboot Automatically reboot to start the upgrade when ready. SOURCE These options tell redhat-upgrade-tool where to look for the packages and boot images needed to run the upgrade. At least one of these options is required. --device [DEV] Device or mountpoint of mounted install media. If DEV is omitted, redhat-upgrade-tool will scan all currently-mounted removable devices (USB disks, optical media, etc.) --iso ISO Installation image file. --network VERSION Online repos matching VERSION (a number or "rawhide") Multiple sources may be used, if desired. Additional options for --network --enablerepo REPOID Enable one or more repos (wildcards allowed). --disablerepo REPOID Disable one or more repos (wildcards allowed). --addrepo REPOID=[@]URL Add the repo at URL. Prefix URL with @ to indicate that the URL is a mirrorlist. --instrepo REPOID Get upgrader boot images from the repo named REPOID. The repo must contain a valid .treeinfo file which points to the location of usable kernel and upgrade images. Cleanup commands --resetbootloader Remove any modifications made to bootloader configuration. --clean Clean up everything written by redhat-upgrade-tool. EXAMPLES
redhat-upgrade-tool --network 7.0 --instrepo <repo URL> Upgrade to RHEL 7.0 by downloading all needed packages and data from the specified repository. redhat-upgrade-tool --device --network 7.0 Upgrade to RHEL 7.0 using install media mounted somewhere on the system, fetching updates from the network if needed. EXIT STATUS
0 Success. 1 Cancelled by user, failure writing files to disk, or other unknown error 2 Failed to download/copy files from the given SOURCE 3 RPM upgrade transaction test failed BUGS
The --iso image must be on a filesystem listed in /etc/fstab. AUTHORS
Will Woods <wwoods@redhat.com> redhat-upgrade-tool 11/08/2013 REDHAT-UPGRADE-TOOL(8)