Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) MacOS 10.15 Catalina Crashes and Freezes on Boot Post 303037709 by vbe on Saturday 10th of August 2019 05:36:47 AM
Old 08-10-2019
I wonder if its not to do with some untested hardware issue since apple using intel processors seem to have changed regularly the inners, things less current when under powerPC ( I still have 2 of them...). I am trying to figure out what in high sierra can make my powerbook pro of 2011 over heat... ( because I burnt my motherboard (graphics...) beginning July ) or go berserk from time to time, I have just assembled a new one but this time a late 2011 motherboard after buying a 2012 for later usage, and again it reaches over 40 C after 15 minutes not doing anything special, the 2012 is already in mojave but so far not much time to play with as still sick and just finished a 3 weeks antibiotics treatment... but into as I dont know anything about the inners of the Mac Pro and mac mini but if like the laptops I would not be surprised... Not insisting for now as we have a heat wave passing just now and was 34C yesterday ( last time it was 36C here...) Monday 25C announced so I will try again...
AS now Im using my wife's ( my ex-hospital usage laptop...) Macbook air which is now under Mojave and am surprised that it stays cool doing exactly the same thing and yes it does heat when I start heavy usage but never like the Macbook pro which can exceed 45 after only 15 minutes when I use it seriously...
My idea was to investigate on the heating control, could it be faulty for my old HW and so not reacting in time? as like you before burning it did crash a few times without to me any reason and I could not see anything in the logs explaining except a panic but can't find the cause...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Catalina Analysis

How can I make analysis for catalina.out (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Burhan
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 crashes upon boot after TUN driver installed

Hey! I compiled TUN 1.1 driver on my Solaris 10 64bit, and everything was working fine, all the commands for installation were successfull (add_drv, devfsadm -i tun ... etc.) and the driver was working fine as I got OpenVPN server up and running with successful clients attached. My only problem... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Log Rotation of Catalina.out

Hi, Recently i received a request to rotate logs of catalina.out (tomcat). The file size was about 807 MB. I used logadm to truncate the log ( -c ) and zip (-z 0) it. Everything worked fine, catalina.out.0.gz was created (22 MB) and the size of original catalina.out became 0kb. After... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Montioring Script Tomcat catalina.out

Hi, I need to monitor the tomcat log file called "Catalina.out" for any errors like out of memory,JDBC exceptions,broken pipe any other errors and exceptions The script should monitor this file and send a mail instantly and create a text file with errors day to day. Iam using Solaris... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaithanyaa
3 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) switches from bash to zsh

Interestingly Apple has decided to switch the default shell for new users from bash to zsh in MacOS Catalina (10.15) Use zsh as the default shell on your Mac - Apple Support Another interesting fact is that Catalina also comes with /bin/dash (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Scrutinizer
5 Replies

6. Programming

Python Screen Capture of RIGOL 1054Z on macOS Catalina Using NI-VISA

On the NI-VISA boards there has been some frustration where folks cannot get NI-VISA to work on macOS Catalina because Catalina (macOS 10.15.x) is "not supported" by NI-VISA (for many months, it seems). Currently, the README shows: NI-VISA 19.0 for macOS supports the following platforms: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
10 Replies

7. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Poor Windows 10 Performance of Parallels Desktop 15 on macOS Catalina

Just a quick note for macOS users. I just installed (and removed) Parallels Desktop 15 Edition on my MacPro (2013) with 64GB memory and 12-cores, which is running the latest version of macOS Catalina as of this post. The reason for this install was to test some RIGOL test gear software which... (6 Replies)
6 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Warning! Upgrade to Catalina 10.15.3 Crashes MacPro (2013) - Will Not Boot !

WARNING! Just upgraded my MacPro (2013) from Catalina 10.15.2 to 10.15.3. After the routine download and restart for upgrade installation, the Mac would not boot. Totally crashed. Now, I'm in the process of a 15 hour restore from my last time machine backup. I'm not very happy with... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

9. Programming

A Slightly Better NTP Client for the ESP32 (ESPWROOM32) on macOS Catalina

Currently have two ESP8266 modules testing some Blynk apps, whereI'm not so happy with the Blynk business model for developers, but that's another story. So, with two of my ESP8266s currently "busy", I decided to work on the ESP32, and in particular the ESPWROOM32. I installed the... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

MacOS 10.15.2 Catalina display crash and system panic

MacPro (2013) 12-Core, 64GB RAM (today's crash): panic(cpu 2 caller 0xffffff7f8b333ad5): userspace watchdog timeout: no successful checkins from com.apple.WindowServer in 120 seconds service: com.apple.logd, total successful checkins since load (318824 seconds ago): 31883, last successful... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
pfinstall(1M)						  System Administration Commands					     pfinstall(1M)

NAME
pfinstall - tests installation profiles SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/install.d/pfinstall -D | -d disk_config [ -c CDpath] profile DESCRIPTION
After you create a profile, you can use the pfinstall command to test the profile and see if it does what you want before using it to install or upgrade a system. pfinstall enables you to test a profile against: o The system's disk configuration where pfinstall is being run. o Other disks by using a disk configuration file that represents a structure of a disk. See NOTES on how to create a disk configuration file. To successfully and accurately test a profile for a particular Solaris release, you must test a profile within the Solaris environment of the same release. For example, if you want to test a profile for Solaris 2.6, you have to run the pfinstall command on a system running Solaris 2.6. So, on a system running Solaris 2.6, you can test Solaris 2.6 initial installation profiles. However, if you want to test a Solaris 2.6 upgrade profile on a system running a previous version of Solaris, or if you don't have a Solaris 2.6 system installed yet to test Solaris 2.6 initial installation profiles, you have to boot a system from a Solaris 2.6 CD image and temporarily create a Solaris 2.6 install envi- ronment. Then, you can run pfinstall in the Solaris 2.6 install environment to test your profiles. To create a temporary Solaris 2.6 install environment, boot a system from a Solaris 2.6 CD image (just as you would to install), answer any system identification questions, choose the Solaris Interactive Installation program, and exit out of the first screen that is presented. Then, from the shell, you can execute the pfinstall command. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -c CDpath The path to the Solaris 2 installation image. This is required if the image is not mounted on /cdrom. (For example, use this option if you copied the installation image to disk or mounted the CD-ROM on a directory other than /cdrom.) -d disk_config pfinstall uses a disk configuration file, disk_config, to test the profile. See NOTES on how to create a disk configuration file. You must specify either this option or the -D option to test the profile (see WARNINGS). This option cannot be used with an upgrade profile (install_type upgrade). You must always test an upgrade profile against a system's disk configura- tion ( -D option). -D pfinstall uses the system's disk configuration to test the profile. You must specify either this option or the -d option to test the profile (see WARNINGS). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: profile The file name of the profile to test. If profile is not in the directory where pfinstall is being run, you must specify the path. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Testing an Upgrade Profile The following example tests an upgrade profile, upgrade.prof, on a system with a previous version of the Solaris software installed. 1. Boot the system to be upgraded from the Solaris image chosen for the upgrade, just as you would to install. The image can be located in the system's local CD-ROM or on an install server. 2. Answer the system configuration questions, if prompted. 3. If you are presented with a choice of installation options, choose the Solaris Interactive Installation program. 4. Exit from the first screen of the Solaris Interactive Installation program. After the Solaris Interactive Installation program exits, a shell prompt is displayed. 5. Create a temporary mount point: example# mkdir /tmp/mnt 6. Mount the directory that contains the profile(s) you want to test. If you want to mount a remote NFS file system (for systems on the network), enter: mount -F nfs server_name:path /tmp/mnt If you want to mount a UFS-formatted diskette, enter: mount -F ufs /dev/diskette /tmp/mnt If you want to mount a PCFS-formatted diskette, enter: mount -F pcfs /dev/diskette /tmp/mnt 7. Change directory to /tmp/mnt where the profile resides: example# cd /tmp/mnt 8. Test the upgrade.prof profile: /usr/sbin/install.d/pfinstall -D upgrade.prof Example 2: Testing the basic.prof Profile The following example tests the basic.prof profile against the disk configuration on a Solaris 2.6 system where pfinstall is being run. The path to the Solaris CD image is specified because Volume Management is being used. example# /usr/sbin/install.d/pfinstall -D -c /cdrom/cdrom0/s0 basic.prof Example 3: Testing the basic.prof Profile The following example tests the basic.prof profile against the 535_test disk configuration file. This example uses a Solaris CD image located in the /export/install directory, and pfinstall is being run on a Solaris 2.6 system. example# /usr/sbin/install.d/pfinstall -d 535_test -c /export/install basic.prof EXIT STATUS
0 Successful (system rebooted). 1 Successful (system not rebooted). 2 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWinst | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
fdisk(1M), prtvtoc(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations WARNINGS
If the -d or -D option is not specified, pfinstall may perform an actual installation on the system by using the specified profile, and the data on the system may be overwritten. NOTES
You have to test a profile on a system with the same platform type for which the profile was created. SPARC To create a disk configuration file (-d option) for a SPARC based system: 1. Locate a SPARC based system with a disk that you want to test. 2. Create a disk configuration file by redirecting the output of the prtvtoc(1M) command to a file. example# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2 > 535_disk 3. (Optional.) Concatenate disk configuration files into a single file to test a profile against multiple disks. The target numbers in the disk device names must be unique. example# cat 535_disk 1G_disk > mult_disks x86 To create a disk configuration file (-d option) for an x86 based system: 1. Locate an x86 based system with a disk that you want to test. 2. Create part of the disk configuration file by saving the output of the fdisk(1M) command to a file: example# fdisk -R -W 535_disk /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0p0 3. Append the output of the prtvtoc(1M) command to the disk configuration file. example# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s2 >> 535_disk 4. (Optional.) Concatenate disk configuration files into a single file to test a profile against multiple disks. The target numbers in the disk device names must be unique. example# cat 535_disk 1G_disk > mult_disks To test a profile with a specific system memory size, set SYS_MEMSIZE to the specific memory size (in Mbytes) before running pfinstall: example# SYS_MEMSIZE=memory_size example# export SYS_MEMSIZE SunOS 5.10 28 Jan 2003 pfinstall(1M)