Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming To Perl or not to Perl, that is the question... ;o) Post 303037668 by dodona on Friday 9th of August 2019 06:30:52 AM
Old 08-09-2019
I had a lot of experience with perl, however I understood that perl is dying. Hence I would not recommend it to any beginner.
This User Gave Thanks to dodona For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Question

Can anyone tell me if the copy command in PERL has the same functionality as in KSH shell in UNIX or does it actually move the file ?? $cp_stat=system("cp $ENV{OLAMEBSDIR}/data/olam.ddabal$type $ENV{OLAMDIR}/balance/data/olam.ddabal$type.$HeaderDate"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frank
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL question

Could someone tell me what is wrong with these PERL statements it is always setting the $status2 to the number inside of the brackets......why???????? if (/^Status:/) { $stat = $Fld; print "\$stat is $stat\n"; } the above is where i'm searching for a string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frank
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Perl

Where can i find solid information about programming in Perl? Thank you in advance!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: tk question

When i run my perl/tk script, a perl window pops up behind the GUI window,, can this be hidden???? Also, can the Icon be changed, the Tk icon in every window??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl question

If I use 2 system commands in a script, will one finish before the next one starts? or will it start the first and the second at the same time? i.e. system("ps | grep rminer"); system("ls -al | grep 431"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Question

Hi everyone I am not even a novice at Perl scripting .. but had to edit one the other day. The only way I can get it to run is by prefixing 'perl' before running it - ie # perl scriptname I am running AIX. Any ideas why i have to do that ? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL I/O question

Playing with an until loop as follows: my $input; until ($input eq "quit") { print "Please enter something:"; $input = <STDIN>; chomp $input; if ($input eq "dog") { print "cat" ; } else { print "Please re-enter"; } } Something simple like this... I want to prompt the user to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesokay
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question!

Hi All, I am new to perl and just want to read the text file and write back it into another file with some modification. Here is my requirement: input file: USB_OTG_PATH top.usb_top.otg_top USB_HSIC_PATH top.usb_top.hsic_top .. (All starts with USB_) ... START_PATH USB_OTG_PATH.interrupt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: surisingh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question

Hi All, I am new to Perl and got a real stupid question. We are trying to install the Date:Calc package for some calculations with dates.The security guys mentioned they won't install it as root in /usr/bin/perl but have asked us to install it in any directory and use it from there. Here's the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
Config::Model::Node(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  Config::Model::Node(3pm)

NAME
Config::Model::Node - Class for configuration tree node VERSION
version 2.021 SYNOPSIS
use Config::Model; use Log::Log4perl qw(:easy); Log::Log4perl->easy_init($WARN); # define configuration tree object my $model = Config::Model->new; $model->create_config_class( name => 'OneConfigClass', class_description => "OneConfigClass detailed description", element => [ [qw/X Y Z/] => { type => 'leaf', value_type => 'enum', choice => [qw/Av Bv Cv/] } ], experience => [ Y => 'beginner', X => 'master' ], status => [ X => 'deprecated' ], description => [ X => 'X-ray description (can be long)' ], summary => [ X => 'X-ray' ], accept => [ 'ip.*' => { type => 'leaf', value_type => 'uniline', summary => 'ip address', } ] ); my $instance = $model->instance (root_class_name => 'OneConfigClass'); my $root = $instance->config_root ; # X is not shown below because of its deprecated status print $root->describe," " ; # name value type comment # Y [undef] enum choice: Av Bv Cv # Z [undef] enum choice: Av Bv Cv # add some data $root->load( step => 'Y=Av' ); # add some accepted element, ipA and ipB are created on the fly $root->load( step => q!ipA=192.168.1.0 ipB=192.168.1.1"! ); # show also ip* element created in the last "load" call print $root->describe," " ; # name value type comment # Y Av enum choice: Av Bv Cv # Z [undef] enum choice: Av Bv Cv # ipA 192.168.1.0 uniline # ipB 192.168.1.1 uniline DESCRIPTION
This class provides the nodes of a configuration tree. When created, a node object will get a set of rules that will define its properties within the configuration tree. Each node contain a set of elements. An element can contain: o A leaf element implemented with Config::Model::Value. A leaf can be plain (unconstrained value) or be strongly typed (values are checked against a set of rules). o Another node. o A collection of items: a list element, implemented with Config::Model::ListId. Each item can be another node or a leaf. o A collection of identified items: a hash element, implemented with Config::Model::HashId. Each item can be another node or a leaf. Configuration class declaration A class declaration is made of the following parameters: name Mandatory "string" parameter. This config class name can be used by a node element in another configuration class. class_description Optional "string" parameter. This description will be used when generating user interfaces. element Mandatory "list ref" of elements of the configuration class : element => [ foo => { type = 'leaf', ... }, bar => { type = 'leaf', ... } ] Element names can be grouped to save typing: element => [ [qw/foo bar/] => { type = 'leaf', ... } ] See below for details on element declaration. experience Optional "list ref" of the elements whose experience are different from default value ("beginner"). Possible values are "master", "advanced" and "beginner". experience => [ Y => 'beginner', [qw/foo bar/] => 'master' ], level Optional "list ref" of the elements whose level are different from default value ("normal"). Possible values are "important", "normal" or "hidden". The level is used to set how configuration data is presented to the user in browsing mode. "Important" elements will be shown to the user no matter what. "hidden" elements will be explained with the warp notion. level => [ [qw/X Y/] => 'important' ] status Optional "list ref" of the elements whose status are different from default value ("standard"). Possible values are "obsolete", "deprecated" or "standard". Using a deprecated element will issue a warning. Using an obsolete element will raise an exception (See Config::Model::Exception. status => [ [qw/X Y/] => 'obsolete' ] description Optional "list ref" of element description. These descriptions will be used when generating user interfaces. description Optional "list ref" of element summary. These descriptions will be used when generating user interfaces or as comment when writing configuration files. read_config write_config config_dir Parameters used to load on demand configuration data. See Config::Model::AutoRead for details. accept Optional list of criteria (i.e. a regular expression to match ) to accept unknown parameters. Each criteria will have a list of specification that will enable "Config::Model" to create a model snippet for the unknown element. Example: accept => [ 'list.*' => { type => 'list', cargo => { type => 'leaf', value_type => 'string', }, }, 'str.*' => { type => 'leaf', value_type => 'uniline' }, ] All "element" parameters can be used in specifying accepted parameters. The parameter "accept_after" to specify where to insert the accepted element. This will not change much the behavior of the tree, but it will help generate user interface easier to use. Example: element => [ 'Bug' => { type => 'leaf', value_type => 'uniline' } , ] accept => [ 'Bug-.*' => { value_type => 'uniline', type => 'leaf' accept_after => 'Bug' , } ] The model snippet above will ensure that "Bug-Debian" will be shown right after "bug". Element declaration Element type Each element is declared with a list ref that contains all necessary information: element => [ foo => { ... } ] This most important information from this hash ref is the mandatory type parameter. The type type can be: "node" The element is a simple node of a tree instantiated from a configuration class (declared with "create_config_class( ... )" in Config::Model). See "Node element". "warped_node" The element is a node whose properties (mostly "config_class_name") can be changed (warped) according to the values of one or more leaf elements in the configuration tree. See Config::Model::WarpedNode for details. "leaf" The element is a scalar value. See "Leaf element" "hash" The element is a collection of nodes or values (default). Each element of this collection is identified by a string (Just like a regular hash, except that you can set up constraint of the keys). See "Hash element" "list" The element is a collection of nodes or values (default). Each element of this collection is identified by an integer (Just like a regular perl array, except that you can set up constraint of the keys). See "List element" "check_list" The element is a collection of values which are unique in the check_list. See CheckList. Node element When declaring a "node" element, you must also provide a "config_class_name" parameter. For instance: $model ->create_config_class ( name => "ClassWithOneNode", element => [ the_node => { type => 'node', config_class_name => 'AnotherClass', }, ] ) ; Leaf element When declaring a "leaf" element, you must also provide a "value_type" parameter. See Config::Model::Value for more details. Hash element When declaring a "hash" element, you must also provide a "index_type" parameter. You can also provide a "cargo_type" parameter set to "node" or "leaf" (default). See Config::Model::HashId and Config::Model::AnyId for more details. List element You can also provide a "cargo_type" parameter set to "node" or "leaf" (default). See Config::Model::ListId and Config::Model::AnyId for more details. Introspection methods name Returns the location of the node, or its config class name (for root node). get_type Returns "node". config_model Returns the entire configuration model (Config::Model object). model Returns the configuration model of this node (data structure). config_class_name Returns the configuration class name of this node. instance Returns the instance object containing this node. Inherited from Config::Model::AnyThing has_element ( name => element_name, [ type => searched_type ] ) Returns 1 if the class model has the element declared or if the element name is matched by the optional "accept" parameter. If "type" is specified, the element name must also match the type. find_element ( element_name , [ case => any ]) Returns $name if the class model has the element declared or if the element name is matched by the optional "accept" parameter. If case is set to any, has_element will return the element name who match the passed name in a case-insensitive manner. Returns empty if no matching element is found. model_searcher () Returns an object dedicated to search an element in the configuration model (respecting privilege level). This method returns a Config::Model::SearchElement object. See Config::Model::SearchElement for details on how to handle a search. This method is inherited from Config::Model::AnyThing. element_model ( element_name ) Returns model of the element. element_type ( element_name ) Returns the type (e.g. leaf, hash, list, checklist or node) of the element. element_name() Returns the element name that contain this object. Inherited from Config::Model::AnyThing index_value() See "index_value()" in Config::Model::AnyThing parent() See "parent()" in Config::Model::AnyThing root() See "root()" in Config::Model::AnyThing location() See "location()" in Config::Model::AnyThing Element property management get_element_name ( for => <experience>, ... ) Return all elements names available for "experience". If no experience is specified, will return all elements available at 'master' level (I.e all elements). Optional parameters are: o type: Returns only element of requested type (e.g. "list", "hash", "leaf",...). By default return elements of any type. o cargo_type: Returns only element which contain requested type. E.g. if "get_element_name" is called with "cargo_type => leaf", "get_element_name" will return simple leaf elements, but also hash or list element that contain leaf object. By default return elements of any type. o check: "yes", "no" or "skip" Returns an array in array context, and a string (e.g. "join(' ',@array)") in scalar context. children Like get_element_name without parameters. Returns the list of elements. This method is polymorphic for all non-leaf objects of the configuration tree. next_element ( ... ) This method provides a way to iterate through the elements of a node. Mandatory parameter is "name". Optional parameters are "experience" and "status". Returns the next element name for a given experience (default "master") and status (default "normal"). Returns undef if no next element is available. previous_element ( name => element_name, [ experience => min_experience ] ) This method provides a way to iterate through the elements of a node. Returns the previous element name for a given experience (default "master"). Returns undef if no previous element is available. get_element_property ( element => ..., property => ... ) Retrieve a property of an element. I.e. for a model : experience => [ X => 'master'], status => [ X => 'deprecated' ] element => [ X => { ... } ] This call will return "deprecated": $node->get_element_property ( element => 'X', property => 'status' ) set_element_property ( element => ..., property => ... ) Set a property of an element. reset_element_property ( element => ... ) Reset a property of an element according to the original model. Information management fetch_element ( name => .. [ , user_experience => .. ] , [ check => ..] ) Fetch and returns an element from a node. If user_experience is given, this method will check that the user has enough privilege to access the element. If not, a "RestrictedElement" exception will be raised. check can be set to yes, no or skip fetch_element_value ( name => ... [ check => ...] ) Fetch and returns the value of a leaf element from a node. If user_experience is given, this method will check that the user has enough privilege to access the element. If not, a "RestrictedElement" exception will be raised. store_element_value ( name, value ) Store a value in a leaf element from a node. Can be invoked with named parameters (name, value, experience, check) If user_experience is given, this method will check that the user has enough privilege to access the element. If not, a "RestrictedElement" exception will be raised. is_element_available( name => ..., experience => ... ) Returns 1 if the element "name" is available for the given "experience" ('beginner' by default) and if the element is not "hidden". Returns 0 otherwise. As a syntactic sugar, this method can be called with only one parameter: is_element_available( 'element_name' ) ; accept_element( name ) Checks and returns the appropriate model of an acceptable element (be it explicitly declared, or part of an "accept" declaration). Returns undef if the element cannot be accepted. accept_regexp( name ) Returns the list of regular expressions used to check for acceptable parameters. Useful for diagnostics. element_exists( element_name ) Returns 1 if the element is known in the model. is_element_defined( element_name ) Returns 1 if the element is defined. grab(...) See "grab(...)" in Config::Model::AnyThing. grab_value(...) See "grab_value(...)" in Config::Model::AnyThing. grab_root() See "grab_root()" in Config::Model::AnyThing. get( path => ..., mode => ... , check => ... , get_obj => 1|0, autoadd => 1|0) Get a value from a directory like path. If "get_obj" is 1, "get" will return leaf object instead of returning their value. set( path , value) Set a value from a directory like path. data modification migrate Force a read of the configuration and perform all changes regarding deprecated elements or values. Return 1 if data needs to be saved. load ( step => string [, experience => ... ] ) Load configuration data from the string into the node and its siblings. This string follows the syntax defined in Config::Model::Loader. See "load ( ... )" in Config::Model::Loader for details on parameters. "experience" is 'master' by default. This method can also be called with a single parameter: $node->load("some data:to be=loaded"); load_data ( hash_ref, [ $check ]) Load configuration data with a hash ref (first parameter). The hash ref key must match the available elements of the node. The hash ref structure must match the structure of the configuration model. needs_save return 1 if one of the elements of the node's sub-tree has been modified. Serialization dump_tree ( ... ) Dumps the configuration data of the node and its siblings into a string. See "dump_tree" in Config::Model::Dumper for parameter details. This string follows the syntax defined in Config::Model::Loader. The string produced by "dump_tree" can be passed to "load". dump_annotations_as_pod ( ... ) Dumps the configuration annotations of the node and its siblings into a string. See "dump_annotations_as_pod" in Config::Model::Dumper for parameter details. describe ( [ element => ... ] ) Provides a description of the node elements or of one element. report () Provides a text report on the content of the configuration below this node. audit () Provides a text audit on the content of the configuration below this node. This audit will show only value different from their default value. copy_from ( another_node_object ) Copy configuration data from another node into this node and its siblings. The copy is made in a tolerant mode where invalid data are simply discarded. Help management get_help ( [ [ description | summary ] => element_name ] ) If called without element, returns the description of the class (Stored in "class_description" attribute of a node declaration). If called with an element name, returns the description of the element (Stored in "description" attribute of a node declaration). If called with 2 argument, either return the "summary" or the "description" of the element. Returns an empty string if no description was found. tree_searcher( type => ... ) Returns an object able to search the configuration tree. Parameters are : type Where to perform the search. It can be "element", "value", "key", "summary", "description", "help" or "all". Typically, you will have to call "search" on this object. Returns a Config::Model::TreeSearcher object. AutoRead nodes As configuration model are getting bigger, the load time of a tree gets longer. The Config::Model::AutoRead class provides a way to load the configuration information only when needed. AUTHOR
Dominique Dumont, (ddumont at cpan dot org) SEE ALSO
Config::Model, Config::Model::Instance, Config::Model::HashId, Config::Model::ListId, Config::Model::CheckList, Config::Model::WarpedNode, Config::Model::Value perl v5.14.2 2012-11-09 Config::Model::Node(3pm)