Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Function - Make your function return an exit status Post 303037641 by MadeInGermany on Thursday 8th of August 2019 01:30:27 PM
Old 08-08-2019
Yes, a function behaves like a command.
Code:
if command1; then command2; fi

If command1 was successful (exit 0) then run command2.
The same can be achieved with the logical AND:
Code:
command1 && command2

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Return of EXIT status ( $? )

I have the question: How return the exit code from then assign : VAR=$(command ) for ex. VAR=$(ls ....) VAREXIT=$? echo $VAREXIT VAREXIT is equal to 0 if the directory exist or not exist. WHI?? if i execute the command direct from line-command , the value of $? is different if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ZINGARO
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

evaluate return status of a function

Hi all I'm trying to evalute the return status of a function without much success. I've put a very basic example below to explain. check_ok() works fine but when used within an if statement, it always returns true, whether it is true or false. I'm guessing it returns true as the function... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tig2810
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

command does not return exit status due to tee

Hi, I am using /bin/sh. I want to display the stdout and stderr on the terminal as well as save it in a file, so I'm using this command. gmake all 2>&1 | tee log But even if gmake fails, it's always giving 0 as exit status, i suppose because of tee. # false 2>&1 | tee Log # echo $? 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand_bh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return a value from called function to the calling function

I have two scripts. script1.sh looks -------------------------------- #!/bin/bash display() { echo "Welcome to Unix" } display ----------------------------- Script2.sh #!/bin/bash sh script1.sh //simply calling script1.sh ------------------------------ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mvictorvijayan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

exit from function

Hi all, My kshell code is not working, when I use a function to return something. But when I use the same function as without returning any values, it is working. Pls help me here. Code1 : func1 () { y=`echo $x | grep XXX| cut -f 2 -d ' '` if ; then exit 100 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: poova
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exit from function

Hi, I just want to exit from function if some condition doesnt meet then control should go back to main program and start running from where it left.. When i used "exit" inside the function, its simply exited from entire script and it didnt run anymore.. Any idea how to do this.. Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nram_krishna@ya
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Cannot exit from a function?

Hi, Is there a way to exit from a subcommand, which is a function in my example below? #!/bin/ksh function exitFunction { if ]; then echo "success" elif ]; then echo "failed" exit 1 # the exit problem fi exit 0 } ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chstr_14
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

After exit from function it should not call other function

Below is my script that is function properly per my conditions but I am facing one problem here that is when one function fails then Iy should not check other functions but it calls the other function too So anyone can help me how could i achieve this? iNOUT i AM GIVING TO THE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Clear contents of specified directories, then return exit status

Hello, this is my first post here. I'm attempting to write a bash shell script to rm the contents of a directory without deleting the directory, specifically in OS X 10.10 . Here's what I have: function clear() { USER="$USER" DIR=$1 rm -rfv /Users/"$USER"/library/$DIR/* } clear... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: YouNicks
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return: can only `return' from a function or sourced script

Not sure where the problem is. I can run the script without any issue using the following command. . /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh But it fails with the below error when I try it this way /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh /opt/app/scripts/cdc_migration.sh: line 65: return: can only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: svajhala
1 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)