Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming To Perl or not to Perl, that is the question... ;o) Post 303037640 by wisecracker on Thursday 8th of August 2019 01:13:42 PM
Old 08-08-2019
To Perl or not to Perl, that is the question... ;o)

I bow here to experts who use both Python and Perl.
I am au fait with Python and have done loads with it, especially writing code that works from Version 1.4.0 to 3.7.0 on varying platforms, some of it on here...

Well, I have been contemplating learning Perl.
I see many experts on here who have posted Perl code and it looks like it can do much like Python can.
I have '_heard_' bad reports about it however so this discussion will help me decide.

Question: Is it worth me expanding my knowledge to this language or just stick with Python - any version?

If so I may jump in at the deep end and do yet another AudioScope, I have already done the same for Python and much, much more mainly for the AMIGA A1200.
Any decent books you know of to purchase would be of help too.
I love hitting the hardware, ("banging the metal"), and this has to be taken into account for my final decision...

TIA Guys and Gals...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL Question

Can anyone tell me if the copy command in PERL has the same functionality as in KSH shell in UNIX or does it actually move the file ?? $cp_stat=system("cp $ENV{OLAMEBSDIR}/data/olam.ddabal$type $ENV{OLAMDIR}/balance/data/olam.ddabal$type.$HeaderDate"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frank
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL question

Could someone tell me what is wrong with these PERL statements it is always setting the $status2 to the number inside of the brackets......why???????? if (/^Status:/) { $stat = $Fld; print "\$stat is $stat\n"; } the above is where i'm searching for a string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frank
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question about Perl

Where can i find solid information about programming in Perl? Thank you in advance!!!:) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SolidSnake
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: tk question

When i run my perl/tk script, a perl window pops up behind the GUI window,, can this be hidden???? Also, can the Icon be changed, the Tk icon in every window??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perleo
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl question

If I use 2 system commands in a script, will one finish before the next one starts? or will it start the first and the second at the same time? i.e. system("ps | grep rminer"); system("ls -al | grep 431"); (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Question

Hi everyone I am not even a novice at Perl scripting .. but had to edit one the other day. The only way I can get it to run is by prefixing 'perl' before running it - ie # perl scriptname I am running AIX. Any ideas why i have to do that ? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serm
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL I/O question

Playing with an until loop as follows: my $input; until ($input eq "quit") { print "Please enter something:"; $input = <STDIN>; chomp $input; if ($input eq "dog") { print "cat" ; } else { print "Please re-enter"; } } Something simple like this... I want to prompt the user to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yesokay
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question!

Hi All, I am new to perl and just want to read the text file and write back it into another file with some modification. Here is my requirement: input file: USB_OTG_PATH top.usb_top.otg_top USB_HSIC_PATH top.usb_top.hsic_top .. (All starts with USB_) ... START_PATH USB_OTG_PATH.interrupt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: surisingh
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl question

Hi All, I am new to Perl and got a real stupid question. We are trying to install the Date:Calc package for some calculations with dates.The security guys mentioned they won't install it as root in /usr/bin/perl but have asked us to install it in any directory and use it from there. Here's the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

10. Programming

PERL: In a perl-scripttTrying to execute another perl-script that SETS SOME VARIABLES !

I have reviewed many examples on-line about running another process (either PERL or shell command or a program), but do not find any usefull for my needs way. (Reviewed and not useful the system(), 'back ticks', exec() and open()) I would like to run another PERL-script from first one, not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
1 Replies
PYDOC3.6(1)                                                   General Commands Manual                                                  PYDOC3.6(1)

NAME
pydoc3.6 - the Python documentation tool SYNOPSIS
pydoc3.6 name pydoc3.6 -k keyword pydoc3.6 -p port pydoc3.6 -g pydoc3.6 -w module [...] DESCRIPTION
pydoc3.6 name Show text documentation on something. name may be the name of a Python keyword, topic, function, module, or package, or a dotted reference to a class or function within a module or module in a package. If name contains a '/', it is used as the path to a Python source file to document. If name is 'keywords', 'topics', or 'modules', a listing of these things is displayed. pydoc3.6 -k keyword Search for a keyword in the synopsis lines of all available modules. pydoc3.6 -p port Start an HTTP server on the given port on the local machine. pydoc3.6 -g Pop up a graphical interface for finding and serving documentation. pydoc3.6 -w name [...] Write out the HTML documentation for a module to a file in the current directory. If name contains a '/', it is treated as a filename; if it names a directory, documentation is written for all the contents. AUTHOR
Moshe Zadka, based on "pydoc --help" PYDOC3.6(1)